FACEPLANT... ALMOST

citiboi

8 minutes ago, Colestien said:

When you look at the physical part of riding a wheel, the over lean can never completely fixed.  If you have a very good wheel  and over lean a little the wheel goes under you an counters the lean.  The best that could ever be built would respond fast and have enough mass/power to press under you quickly.    Think of it this way: If you decided you wanted to "belly flop" .  What would it take in power, control reaction time, traction/mass of a Wheel to keep you upright.   The mass/weight of a wheel would (depending on traction) have to be more than the leaning weight to recover.  I'm a little over 100kg.  That is a lot of mas to "press through"

Your battery screw driver will may be have more torque that the most EUs. If you let rotate forces/ torques  around the axle you can imagine very fast how true your sentence with over lean is. The sum of the forces and moments must be equal zero ( basics in mechanical engineering).

@citiboi Been there, my wounds took a good 2 months to heal. My message to anyone that hasn't had a fall yet, get good closed finger gloves with built in wrist guards. That alone will save your hands from all the horrible cuts and weeks of recovery. Hopefully those that learned it the hard way, got proper safety equipment now. Until they engineer redundancy in the boards, every wheel only needs one part to fail to face plant you. It's better to be safe then sorry!

1 hour ago, Paddylaz said:

It's a sensitive topic to approach, but let's be honest, recovery at each of these various speeds is hugely dependant on your age and physical condition.

You are right, but we cannot do a clinical trial like at 8-12-16-24-32-+32 KmH, and measure in healthy testsubjects for different age groups, gender, BMI at which speed they can no longer run off the weel and FP's (and are no longer healthy).

So it's arbitrary what we would call low, medium, high, very high, or extreme speed. Any recommendation based on it would therefor be 'eminence' (instead of evidence) based.

Anyway the kinetic energy equation gives already a good indication: when very fast walking at 8KmH try to avoid a pole when you did'nt see it till the last second...., then double the speed to 16KmH which means a +300% increase in E, quadruple the speed to 32KmH and you're looking at +700% E increase. There's no way anyone can run off a wheel at 32KmH, even Usain Bolt top speed is 'only' 40KmH.

Maybe we can split it into just 2 parts? up to 24KmH=sane but can be detrimental to your health, and above 24KmH =:wacko: "don't try this at home"

Good points about speed... maybe because I have this temporary phobia about speed.  

I did not start this thread to fish for sympathies but to remind everyone in this forum that no matter how remote battery cut-off/shut off may be, it may still happen to you. I never really considered that I would fall within this "remote" category.  Looking at the injuries suffered by others, I consider myself very very fortunate to have suffered only superficial injuries with minimal bleeding. I was riding on a public road and could have been run over by a motor vehicle.

From now on, I will wear protection whenever I ride and will only ride on sidewalks as far as possible where I will be forced to use lower speeds because of the pedestrians using the sidewalks instead of riding on public roads where I will be tempted or forced to travel at speeds above 12 kmh.

8 hours ago, citiboi said:

Good points about speed... maybe because I have this temporary phobia about speed.  

I did not start this thread to fish for sympathies but to remind everyone in this forum that no matter how remote battery cut-off/shut off may be, it may still happen to you. I never really considered that I would fall within this "remote" category.  Looking at the injuries suffered by others, I consider myself very very fortunate to have suffered only superficial injuries with minimal bleeding. I was riding on a public road and could have been run over by a motor vehicle.

From now on, I will wear protection whenever I ride and will only ride on sidewalks as far as possible where I will be forced to use lower speeds because of the pedestrians using the sidewalks instead of riding on public roads where I will be tempted or forced to travel at speeds above 12 kmh.

Sorry for your accident. They can call me slow and I don't mind. I could drive my car at 140km/h with no worries but for a single wheel I just take it slow with my knees always slightly bent and alert for I am worried that at anytime, my unit could just free wheel by it self.

3 hours ago, musk said:

What speed do we generally consider "slow"?   20kph is fast, way faster than most people run imho.

20km/h is what most healthy people can run, it means to run 100m in 18s, it's double of a rather comfortable jogging speed.

It's indeed somewhat relevant, as you wouldn't expect a 100m sprinter or soccer player (both run easily above 25km/h) who goes down at full speed to get severely hurt. Crashing instantaneously into concrete is of course a different matter.

3 hours ago, Jurgen said:

in Belgium you're allowed on the sidewalk up to 8KmH, electrical wheelchair are allowed to go up 18KmH, biking lanes are allowed up to 25KmH

looks like a pretty decent regulation to me.

46 minutes ago, Colestien said:

When you look at the physical part of riding a wheel, the over lean can never completely fixed.

True, but if (all) wheels would prevent to go close to the load limits in the first place and would degrade gracefully when pushed beyond the limit, instead to simply shut down, we probably wouldn't even talking about it as a problem.

Just now, Niko said:

True, but if (all) wheels would prevent to go close to the load limits in the first place and would degrade gracefully when pushed beyond the limit, instead to simply shut down, we probably wouldn't even talking about it as a problem.

I was referring to the fact if you lean and ask to much you will be coming off.  We can have a wheel that will not shut off, ( that we should have) but we can not keep a rider from leaning to much.   

On 1/7/2016 at 0:58 AM, Colestien said:

I was referring to the fact if you lean and ask to much you will be coming off.  We can have a wheel that will not shut off, ( that we should have) but we can not keep a rider from leaning to much.   

Right, but we can keep a rider from leaning too much unintentionally with a very high probability.

Archived