Protection from fingers overextension

Hi, I've been searching and reading the gloves themes, but couldn't find a discussion of protecting the fingers from overextension.
There is gear for wrist protection, sliders etc., but nothing about protecting the much more delicate finger joints from sprains.
This seems strange.

Two days ago I fell and now my left index finger joint (proximal interphalangeal, if we need to be exact) is tripled in size and immobilized.

It is quite nasty and I would avoid it for the future.

I was thinking that a wrist overextension protection with a slider keeps the hand a bit of the ground, by keeping the wrist in a relatively extended position and this, as a side effect, might protect the fingers as well. 

Is this the case?

I have lots of falls with skateboard, but the euc is much more dangerous from my opinion, as it is motorized, computerized and as such hardly predictable, compared to a simple device with wheels.

I also hit my chest flat on the ground and, since I haven't exhaled, I traumatized my lung a bit. Quite dangerous thing...

I am interested what are your thoughts and the measures you take to protect your fingers from overextension.

What about your lungs' protection?

• Like 1

I dont think much can be done as fingers are small. You could cast your entire hand, but thats not very practical. The next best thing is a proper wrist guard with slider puck. Of course you have to learn/train yourself to aim for the pucks with your fingers out of the way. I'm an old skater, I didnt wear pucks. Gloves of course do what gloves do. Still no dice. I think that training yourself to be midful of the fingers, and wrist with palm puck is the ticket. My wrist guards dont allow easy wear of gloves. It a compromise I make at times (rarely), as I just hope like hell that I can aim for those pucks. I dunno tho, I've never slid out on the palms and an accident is a tough time to think about it. You will find so many gear threads here, that the choice will never be obvious.

For chest... you can wear a chest protector. The hard shell need have soft inner shell if you expect it to help with impact. I do think that chest slam is more common than back. This is also foreign to me. I'm about to install my smaller back protector in my suit for summer. The optional chest was a great lightbulb moment for me. Its so damn hot being d30, but its not uncomfy and my tiny little bird bones need it more than I care to bother with.

Im glad you're alright. What caused the crash and how fast? Capt. obvious says that avoiding the crash in the first place, is the best option. Since its not always our choice, gear does make good sense. Unofrtunately theres no cheap magic solution that fits everyone. Comfortable, cheap, effective... you only get to pick two of the three...

Welcome to the looney bin!:thumbup:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Wat caused the crash and how fast?

That's the fun part :)

I am just starting to learn - just 5-6 hours on the EUC.

I tried to climb over a small curbside (5-7 centimeters tall) to get on the grass.

And this is the frightening part: I don't really know what happened with this motorized, computerized vehicle - I don't understand it as I would a simple mechanical wheeled board.

There was a single beep and in the next moment I slammed the ground, my hands sliding on the wet grass and I sprained my finger and hit my chest hard on the ground.

This is the only thing that worries me, but it worries me enough to consider giving up the EUC: how can I know what a anonymous person in China has programmed in this poorly documented device? How can I bet my life on it, being unknowable?!

2 minutes ago, Aztek said:

And this is the frightening part: I don't really know what happened with this motorized, computerized vehicle - I don't understand it as I would a simple mechanical wheeled board.

Wheels have some overcurrent(power) protection, since especially at low speeds motocurrents could get extremely high frying everything.

The other limit to be aware of is the max torque over speed limit:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aztek said:

So basically I was going too slow and leaned too hard, thus overpowering it?

Your description 

12 minutes ago, Aztek said:

tried to climb over a small curbside (5-7 centimeters tall)

sounds like sliw speed curbside climbing? Which would mean almost standstill fir the wheel once touching the curbside and then full acceleration to climb up and come down under you again?

So yes - this should have been hitting the power/current limit at liw speeds.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Your description 

sounds like sliw speed curbside climbing? Which would mean almost standstill fir the wheel once touching the curbside and then full acceleration to climb up and come down under you again?

Exactly!

Think of your 16s euc, as a bicycle stuck in mid gear. You wouldnt try to pop a curb by simply pedaling from near stop to climb. YOu would rather ride up to it at speed and allow your momentum to carry on. Same applies with hills. The 16s isnt a toy, but its also not one of the larger wheels. A lot of us own BIG wheels, not for the max specs, but for the simple headroom. SOunds to me like you crossed right past that headroom and it beeped at you in a form of cursing...

You make a very valid point. We are  entrusting injury and sometimes our lives, in a random chinese made device. Makes it more interesting to know how little QC and testing goes into each one prior to shipping. I am VERY keen of this when riding 40mph in jeans and a t-shirt. No brand is flawless and it takes more skill than most of us have, to ride out a 30mph wheel that powers off/screws up, while in motion. You just have to accept the risk or walk away bro. You could go years without issue, it could be tomorrow. So, do you feel lucky?:thumbup:

Edited by ShanesPlanet

2 hours ago, Aztek said:

I was thinking that a wrist overextension protection with a slider keeps the hand a bit of the ground, by keeping the wrist in a relatively extended position and this, as a side effect, might protect the fingers as well. 

Is this the case?

I am interested what are your thoughts and the measures you take to protect your fingers from overextension.

I'm not sure about that theory. Though some of the bulkier wrist guards, like the flexmeter, somewhat restrict your finger movement and may (accidentally) provide some protection against finger overextension as a result.

In general, it seems like motorcycle gloves are the best option for finger protection. I don't know if they specifically protect against overextension though. You could try to wear them under your wrist guards, or get a pair with palm sliders and try to wear them over a smaller wrist guard.

2 hours ago, Aztek said:

I also hit my chest flat on the ground and, since I haven't exhaled, I traumatized my lung a bit. Quite dangerous thing...

What about your lungs' protection?

Leatt body protectors are popular. And some motorcycle jackets have options to add chest protectors. If you want more protection than that you could try a horse riding vest. An airbag vest would provide maximum protection assuming it inflates when you need it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skeptikos said:

Leatt body protectors are popular. And some motorcycle jackets have options to add chest protectors. If you want more protection than that you could try a horse riding vest. An airbag vest would provide maximum protection assuming it inflates when you need it.

The problem, as I see it, with the chest protection is that it will help minimize the trauma from objects protruding from the ground, but won't help with the lung trauma from not exhaling.

One sould automatize exhaling when falling, otherwise you might end up with pneumothorax or lung hemorrhage.

I guess, it is too long since I visited the dojo... Should return for some ukemi practise.