Anyone with an InMotion V11 who has done a few 1000KM in all weathers that hasn't had any bearing/motor problems?

NickDubai

Hi, anyone out there with an InMotion V11 who has done a few 1000KM in all weathers that hasn't had any bearing/motor problems?

Just trying to understand if the hollow motor is an inherently poor design or if the bearing/motor problems are just a few isolated cases and nothing to worry about/barrier to purchasing a V11 ?

Throw a dice, the current models rely on the small rubber seal built into the bearing to protect it from water and dust, if you are lucky you don't get it if you are unlucky you do, you can put additional sealing on it yourself. There is no statistics but my gut feeling tell me most hollow motor owners avoid bad weather because they fear a bearing failure.

2000+ km on my second batch v11, no bearing issues. Ridden in light rain, snow, tons of offroading

I also have a gairly recent batch EXN with a hollow bore motor. Less offroading and only very light moisture exposure. 600+ miles no bearing issues. 

I think the majority of machines don't have issues, we have seen a drastic decrease in reported problems over the past few months. I think its a non issue at this point and wouldn't hesitate to buy a wheel i wanted just because of a hollow motor

Edited by GoGeorgeGo

2 hours ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

2000+ km on my second batch v11, no bearing issues. Ridden in light rain, snow, tons of offroading

I also have a gairly recent batch EXN with a hollow bore motor. Less offroading and only very light moisture exposure. 600+ miles no bearing issues. 

I think the majority of machines don't have issues, we have seen a drastic decrease in reported problems over the past few months. I think its a non issue at this point and wouldn't hesitate to buy a wheel i wanted just because of a hollow motor

As I said, throw a dice, I rode 4 times not even in rain on my batch3 V11 and bearing was borked, another unlucky soul had to swap his motor 4 times (there was a youtube video about that). I had to wait 2 months for a new motor, wouldn't call that a non issue but congratulations for not having any issues I guess. :)

• Like 2

1000 km is just around 12 charge cycles. You buy it for many thousands of kilometers and you shouldn’t expect any bearing problems for at least 10-15 thousand kms. My V11 (first batch with rubber seal bearings) started to sound bad after 1600 kms. 

Nobody knows for sure how well they hold if bought now, though. I don’t think it makes economic sense for them to ship out new motors all the time. 

It’s a fantastic ride. At the moment I ride in roads that need suspension and I consider the trouble of possibly changing bearings to stainless and adding seals worth it. 

10 hours ago, UniVehje said:

1000 km is just around 12 charge cycles. You buy it for many thousands of kilometers and you shouldn’t expect any bearing problems for at least 10-15 thousand kms. My V11 (first batch with rubber seal bearings) started to sound bad after 1600 kms. 

Nobody knows for sure how well they hold if bought now, though. I don’t think it makes economic sense for them to ship out new motors all the time. 

It’s a fantastic ride. At the moment I ride in roads that need suspension and I consider the trouble of possibly changing bearings to stainless and adding seals worth it. 

Thanks, I understand that it is a bit of a faff to change out the motor. My old ninebot one p has never let me down but I really like the V11, I think gotway is possibly even more of a lottery I guess...

6 minutes ago, NickDubai said:

Thanks, I understand that it is a bit of a faff to change out the motor. My old ninebot one p has never let me down but I really like the V11, I think gotway is possibly even more of a lottery I guess...

Well, it's like buying an exotic car versus Toyota Corolla. You should expect more trouble with the exotic car. At least Inmotion supports their products. I just had a WhatsApp session with one of their engineers to troubleshoot my wheel and he will send new parts. I could ride a simpler and more reliable wheel but I don't want to. 

V11 is now a year old and should have most kinks ironed out. The bearings are still a risk but I just saw that they have new seals implemented on new wheels now. If this wheel ticks all you boxes otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate because of the bearing problems in the past. If they fail, you are supported by the company or your reseller. If they fail after the warranty period, the bearings are possible to change to new ones with some basic skills and guide videos. 

When can we finally stop talking about bearings only? It's a waste of time, even if it gets noisy, you can ride without worry.

My wheel has 7300kms now since november and still using stock motor with original 6816 bearings, only thing we had to do was drill a hole in the motor for breathing.

It has seen everything that is possible, deep puddles, crazy storms, washing under the shower, so much mud that the wheel wouldnt even budge until being washed out and it still runs like new. Aside from the things that was obvious on day one(useless mudguard, low front shell, random accelerate squekings), nothing else went wrong.

The comfort of this wheel is unmatched both seated and standing, it handles abuse very well, whether its offroad, water, or high load. We peaked at 69.7A and 4871watts and 58.7kmh (not gps speed). For 1700€ I could not have asked for a better wheel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UniVehje said:

Well, it's like buying an exotic car versus Toyota Corolla. You should expect more trouble with the exotic car. At least Inmotion supports their products. I just had a WhatsApp session with one of their engineers to troubleshoot my wheel and he will send new parts. I could ride a simpler and more reliable wheel but I don't want to. 

V11 is now a year old and should have most kinks ironed out. The bearings are still a risk but I just saw that they have new seals implemented on new wheels now. If this wheel ticks all you boxes otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate because of the bearing problems in the past. If they fail, you are supported by the company or your reseller. If they fail after the warranty period, the bearings are possible to change to new ones with some basic skills and guide videos. 

True, many thanks for your help. One last question, what pressures do you run with in the shocks and tyre. Best regards Nick

2 hours ago, UniVehje said:

The bearings are still a risk but I just saw that they have new seals implemented on new wheels now.

Where did you see this?

1 hour ago, Ádám Szitás said:

When can we finally stop talking about bearings only? It's a waste of time, even if it gets noisy, you can ride without worry.

My wheel has 7300kms now since november and still using stock motor with original 6816 bearings, only thing we had to do was drill a hole in the motor for breathing.

It has seen everything that is possible, deep puddles, crazy storms, washing under the shower, so much mud that the wheel wouldnt even budge until being washed out and it still runs like new. Aside from the things that was obvious on day one(useless mudguard, low front shell, random accelerate squekings), nothing else went wrong.

The comfort of this wheel is unmatched both seated and standing, it handles abuse very well, whether its offroad, water, or high load. We peaked at 69.7A and 4871watts and 58.7kmh (not gps speed). For 1700€ I could not have asked for a better wheel.

Ok thanks, that puts things into perspective 😁, sorry to bore you...it just that I don't have any experience with this wheel and the benefit of the experience that you have, didn't want to buy into a wheel that I would be spending more time repairing than riding... What pressures do you run with in the shocks and tyre

1 hour ago, Ádám Szitás said:

Think I am just going to take the plunge and get a V11, you have really helped me make my mind up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Where did you see this?

Inmotion Telegram group. Someone posted pictures of the seals that will be installed in new wheels. I don't have any clear confirmation on this, nothing official. 

4 hours ago, NickDubai said:

what pressures do you run with in the shocks and tyre.

Depends on your weight. At 75 kg, I have the tyre at 1.8 - 2.2 bars. Matter of taste. And the bottom part of the shocks at 110 PSI and top at 55 PSI. You should first aim for around 3.5 cm sag when you stand on the wheel. Set the bottom pressure so that your sag is correct. Then try to put half of that number on the top part. This is also a matter of taste but these rules seem to give a good starting point for most people. 

• Like 3