Incredibly bad look for this community.

Roadpower

13 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

It's weird, I have a horn on every vehicle I own but I never ever use them except to test they work before the yearly inspection (MOT). I used to commute by motorbike through London's rush hour traffic but never ever felt the need to use the horn. You'd see other drivers using their horns all the time, they certainly weren't any faster, I just assumed they just were more frustrated by life and this was their way of expressing their pent up frustration. I currently live next to a blind junction on a 20mph road and a couple of times a day I'll hear people blast their horns as they speed down the road. They actually seem enraged to find a car turning as they race round a blind corner. I personally find these people a little sad but I do find it a bit annoying having to listen to these idiots.

I'm using it so rarely now since got my speaker blasting annoying London street rap music or dancing like idiot on various dance music. Never the less it's handy when you need it.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2021 at 6:04 PM, Skeptikos said:

If you think it's in bad taste that's one thing, but I find it hard to believe that it's threatening your use of your wheel.

You can see what causes the authorities to crack down in the US by looking at the ATV crackdowns. It's a high threshold and EUCs don't seem to be anywhere near it. You can tell because, as far as I'm aware, no one in the US is even discussing cracking down on EUCs.

As for safety, is it any more dangerous than doing the same on a bicycle? Even though it's reckless, it's still very far down on my list of traffic safety concerns (and most other people's, I imagine).

If there was some EUC-related legislation people were working to pass in NY, I might be more uptight about this. But to my knowledge there is none right now.

I totally agree!!! It's not only in the US. If in Portugal these idiots do the same we'll have our wheels apprehended in no time and with a hefty fine digging into our wallets. The problem is that stupidity is a highly contagious disease!!!

4 hours ago, Skeptikos said:

Sorry guys, it was late and I was irritated when I posted this. I don't actually want to stir up drama here. I'm not retracting the comment because that's basically still my position (I like safety but I passionately dislike internet pile-ons), but that's all I'm going to post in this thread. Hope I didn't annoy anyone too much.

II do agree with separating the waters between the internet pile ups and the real issue here. 

I for one, with the EU laws starting to come down, in certain countries, on EVs and their riders, I'm just worried that alike motorcycle riders bad behavior in the past in Portugal in the past ( my long lost youth) we all might "pay the bill" due to a few. 

Just my $0.2

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

I'm just worried that alike motorcycle riders bad behavior in the past in Portugal in the past ( my long lost youth) we all might "pay the bill" due to a few. 

If this can be true, I believe the total number is more important than the few.

You can have 100% nice EUC riders, if there are a dozen, there will never be a legalization.
If there are thousand EUC riders, even with few aggressive riders, it's a different story.

Again France is the biggest EUC market in Europe, and the first country to legalize them. It's not a random.
And this despite 0% of EUC complies with the 25 kph limit (OK, maybe the V5F does), and despite the few we must have here too

Evx with his video hook much more new EUC users than anyone criticizing him.
This why he deserves respect, not that he is good guy (who care about personal judgment).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

I suggest we close down this thread and forget it. This doesn't do anything good to the community. While we should not tolerate bullying, I think (hope) the lesson was learned already. While I have not seen Mickey and the gang changing their attitude towards bullying, I think it is pretty clear to everyone that we keep the races out of public streets. It's just better for everyone in the EUC community.

I disagree about forgetting it though as there has been many good discussion points as well and it's been an important topic for many people to discuss and air their thoughts, but the thread has run it's course so perhaps locking it is a good idea.

36 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

I disagree about forgetting it though as there has been many good discussion points as well and it's been an important topic for many people to discuss and air their thoughts, but the thread has run it's course so perhaps locking it is a good idea.

I think @UniVehje said there what was left to come closure aka dropped the mic. Let's now see if this water goes under the bridge. If not then pull the pin. We are evolving as community as our wheels are.

• Like 2

I'd be okay with the let's wrap of this thread idea if it wasn't wrapped in an associated conclusion that I totally disagree with. For me the idea of who was doing the bullying is completely backwards, an extreme case of projection. For me the 'community' has bullied one of its members to the point that he ended up dropping out. I recognize that the community is okay with this bullying because the bullying is done in support of a certain perspective.

If you want to wrap up this thread, maybe do that without adding 'mic-drop' conclusions and using the idea of closing the thread as a means of preventing any disagreement.

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

I'd be okay with the let's wrap of this thread idea if it wasn't wrapped in an associated conclusion that I totally disagree with. For me the idea of who was doing the bullying is completely backwards, an extreme case of projection. For me the 'community' has bullied one of its members to the point that he ended up dropping out. I recognize that the community is okay with this bullying because the bullying is done in support of a certain perspective.

If you want to wrap up this thread, maybe do that without adding 'mic-drop' conclusions and using the idea of closing the thread as a means of preventing any disagreement.

Winterwheel, given your unassuaged insistence, even though everyone else seems to want to close this conversation, you should being a new thread where you name the bullying.

These are serious accusations you have repeatedly made and you seem sincere to me that bullying happened. It's not the people speeding on wheels near unsuspecting pedestrians that concerns you. It's the bulling that occurred right here on 16 pages of this forum in front of full view of...basically everyone.

Start your thread on bullying, name names, provide facts. This way, there won't mic drop without your approval. 

Thank you, in advance, for taking care of this.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Treatz said:

even though everyone else

euh.... no, not "everyone".

I personally dont get why some have to decide a topic must be close,
I guess it's in line with pointing who's "good" and who's "bad" for this "community"

Or is it because the emotions after this video start to fade away ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OldFartRides said:

…or maybe because after much arguing, deflection, “whataboutism”, and general keyboard masturbation, it just gets to be pointless flogging of a dead horse, and nobody who’s mind is made up about the subject is going to be convinced one way or the other.

This little chapter in “The Days of Our Lives” is now history. New people to the forum can read it through and draw their own conclusions as to who is right, who is wrong, and what the middle ground may be.

People will argue til the cows come home, double and triple down on indefensible positions, try to “win” for the sake of “winning”, and not a thing gets “solved” here because this is a discussion forum, not a legislative one.

Best of everything to everyone, and keep the rubber side down !

This is kinda why I try not to get too involved in forum discussions.  People just don't change their minds no matter what. I generally use the ignore/mute/block button on most forums liberally because of this.  With a full time job, on call 24/7, and a special needs child, I don't have time to deal with unpleasantness here.

Edited by /Dev/Null
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

I don't see why we need to close the thread personally

Me neither - most of the people proposing to close use this to give a last word/conclusio so it seems this will go on forever ;)

flogging_dead_horse_what.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

https://www.albanyny.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=218

April 14, 2021.

Albany, New York bans ATV's and Dirt Bikes.

ALBANY, NY – Mayor Kathy Sheehan joined Police Chief Eric Hawkins and Council members Richard Conti, Joyce Love, and Alfredo Balarin today to sign Local Law E of 2021, banning the use of ATVs and Dirt Bikes on public property including parks and increasing repossession fees, combined with illegal use fines, to $3,000 per violation.

Over the past several summers there has been a steady increase in ATVs and Dirt Bikes traveling across the City. Dirt bikes and ATVs have been witnessed driving through City parks and on sidewalks in front of Albany High School – putting young children and parents in danger – and these vehicles hit buses and injured both bystanders and police officers in just Spring 2021 alone. In an effort to deter this illegal activity, Mayor Sheehan, Chief Hawkins, and the City’s Corporation Counsel office led by Marisa Franchini worked with Councilmembers Conti, Love, and Balarin to draft and enact this legislation.

This legislation also allows the City of Albany to sell or destroy repossessed vehicles unclaimed after 60 days, and goes into effect immediately.

Albany Mayor Kathy Sheehan said, “These vehicles are loud, dangerous, negatively impact the quality of life in our neighborhoods, and are a menace to our community. The message today is clear: do not bring your ATV or Dirt Bike to the City of Albany, because you are not only putting our residents in danger, but it will cost you $3,000 to get it back.”

Albany Police Chief Eric Hawkins said, “The Albany Police Department remains committed to ensuring our community’s streets remain free of all-terrain vehicles and dirt bikes. As we have all witnessed, those who choose to operate these unregistered and uninsured vehicles on public roadways are a nuisance to the community and have no regard for the safety of motorists, pedestrians and our residents. We remain committed to this issue and will continue to arrest, issue traffic citations and confiscate the vehicles of those who participate in this reckless behavior.”

There tou go. The witch hunt begun. 

22 minutes ago, Camenbert said:

If they are after loud gas ATV or Dirt Bike in City (?!), really what a good news for EUCs !

They'll get to them too. 

Remember when the first cars showed up, over 100 years ago?