Incredibly bad look for this community.

Roadpower

5 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Others will follow, making great YT content, and the world will keep spinning.

Some will follow, nervously editing their videos, wondering what aspect of their videos will cause the angry mob to rise up and cancel them too.

The really good ones will take a look at this and decide to make videos about some other, safer topic.

• Like 3

I'm new here and just trying to understand the community I've stumbled into.  I have little knowledge of who this evX fellow is, but having watched some of his EUC review content he seems like a talented guy both as a rider and video creator.  My contribution so far to this conversation was a single sentence about common courtesy.  The main issue for me had nothing to do with potential laws curtailing EUC usage.  What stood out to me was why are EUC resellers supporting content of people being dicks on the equipment they sell?  It occurred to me that soon my money will be their money, so in a round about way I could be contributing to this sort of content in the future.  Fortunately any concern of that was dispelled by a quick and decisive response from a main reseller.

Then it comes down to valid criticism from this community and how the content creator chose to react as well as his ardent supporters.  It would appear that had he taken into account the perspective of some of his viewing customers with a more professional attitude outcomes could have been different.  This is where character would seem to enter the picture. 

I am not sure why EUC consumers are stuck learning about different models from various dudes on the internet who may or may not have ulterior motives.  It would seem to me we should be expecting more from Manufacturers and Resellers.             

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mark13i said:

Is the movie consistent with the topic of the thread?  Because I don't know if I should watch it

Was that a serious question?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, winterwheel said:

Some will follow, nervously editing their videos, wondering what aspect of their videos will cause the angry mob to rise up and cancel them too.

The really good ones will take a look at this and decide to make videos about some other, safer topic.

You know for a moment I was motivated to make strong EUC content. I love my Tesla and what I have been able to do with it. I was excited about being a part of this community. But the treatment evX received after producing a year and a half of incredible content , all because he “went off of the reservation”, (if only for 17 minutes) really showed me how intolerant and vicious this online dynamic can be. Nope, I’m sticking solo. I am happy with few new good friends I have made here. That’s it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Treatz said:

Everyone here is responsible for someone else’s decisions? Explain, please.

Let’s start with the group consciousness’s inability to look at said creator’s body of work and realize the crazy video was more of a one off or creative endeavor. This group failed to remember that he was a favorite because of his high quality work and conscious responsible narrative when it came to riding. Instead, this group went for the throat; calling this guy toxic or harmful to the community...over one stupid video. 

But yeah no one is really responsible for any one else’s feelings. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sumako said:

Let’s start with the group consciousness’s inability to look at said creator’s body of work and realize the crazy video was more of a one off or creative endeavor. This group failed to remember that he was a favorite because of his high quality work and conscious responsible narrative when it came to riding. Instead, this group went for the throat; calling this guy toxic or harmful to the community...over one stupid video. 

But yeah no one is really responsible for any one else’s feelings. 

One off? Yeah right. Maybe the act itself was new, but it sounds like the flavor everyone is bitching about is THE FLAVOR we are used to seeing. Don't assume you know what people like about the vids. I liked the polish and efforts in the vids, but quickly realized I was not a fan of a lot of the overall work included within'. 'Responsible narrative' ? Are we talking about the same person here?

I feel like I've taken the bait once again. Having read your previous postings, I will now brace myself for what may be heading my way....:blink1:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, shellac said:

OK, I was hoping this topic would die off but this evx mourning is nonsense. First of all, the man wants clicks and is serving this video so he can have a dramatic comeback and increase his audience. Come on, he considers himself an “artist” and he’s simply not leaving like that.

In terms of top content creators I would put hsiang, wrong way, and kuji in that category. Evx had good production values in his videos—in fact too good because at some point overly slick production makes the video feel inauthentic and corporate.

As an EUC fan myself who watches a lot of yt I would tolerate his 1990s MTVesque theme music and backwards baseball cap faux badassery, and enjoyed some of his works, but the alleycat race video he posted showed either at best poor judgement and at worst a very cynical attempt to create controversy for clicks. I’m thinking maybe it’s the latter. 

Now comes the bemoaning the so called “cancel culture”. Of course cancel culture isn’t really a thing. Complaining about it reflects a desire for some people to be able to do whatever they want, no matter how irresponsible and defiant of common sense, and not have any consequences. 

Sigh.....

If you only took a moment to know these people. Everything you said is a subjective opinion based on your perception and expectation of this real human being. 

Yes, I know the dude. In fact a know few of these “personalities”. 

I am so happy he posted what he did. He took responsibility for his shit. If you don’t see that nor wish to see that in the video; that’s cool. But “com’on maaaan” let’s admit, you made up a complete story line. 

Oh well....

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

One off? Yeah right. Maybe the act itself was new, but it sounds like the flavor everyone is bitching about is THE FLAVOR we are used to seeing. Don't assume you know what people like about the vids. I liked the polish and efforts in the vids, but quickly realized I was not a fan of a lot of the overall work included within'. 'Responsible narrative' ? Are we talking about the same person here?

I feel like I've taken the bait once again. Having read your previous postings, I will now brace myself for what may be heading my way....:blink1:

Here’s what’s coming your way: post 3 videos from the evX channel that demonstrates the EXACT level of risk you felt was displayed in the ally cat race. “I’ll wait”.

1 hour ago, Treatz said:

That guy can have the freedom to express himself in videos but we aren't allowed to comment on it? We can only appreciate someone's work and not criticize it?

But it's everyone else who's intolerant, and not you.  Yeah, right.

You have the right to do whatever you want. I never inferred otherwise. Is this line of thinking that a comment one does not agree with a new debate tactic or something? Anyways. All I have asked is; “how does one rip into another person who makes ONE risky mistake  with out considering that this was ONLY one risky move?” It is just weird to me. 

• Like 1

People keep saying they were "criticizing" Mick. There is some of that in this thread but mostly it's not true. Instead of criticism we're seeing a mob being stirred up, and people lashing out (at Mick, his sponsors, NYC riders) with the intent of making their lives miserable.

Let's drop the silly euphemism "criticism" for this behavior. Starting a pile-on of harassment to get someone to take down a video is not criticism. If you're going to be a gigantic turd waffle on the internet in an attempt to enforce traffic norms, own it. Maybe you can find a logic to justify that, but don't ask us to pretend you're a morally superior "considerate" person afterward. You're just a jerk with a different excuse.

My kind of stupidly obvious recommendation is that people should extend the same consideration to their fellow EUC riders as they do to pedestrians. Yes, even if that rider makes a mistake and doesn't apologize as obsequiously as you would prefer. Consideration still applies when you step off the street.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Treatz said:

Skeptikos, provide a single example of this behavior you blankatly accuse everyone of. There are 13 pages of content for you to work with. Back up your claims or stop making them. What is a specific example of what you consider as beyond criticism. If you can’t provide a legit example, please rescind your comment.

Sure thing, @Treatz. Here's you making a ton of wild accusations on page 6. I guess you could define this post as criticism, but it's criticism designed to make people angry, as part of an angry mob. I would not label this post of yours as being "considerate".

On 6/15/2021 at 8:03 AM, Treatz said:

The NYC unicycle group doesn't care. It's not my own, made-up fact. It's been demonstrated over and over just from watching the forums, their own video content and reading online.

- They will threaten people and fight them to preserve their entitlement.  

- Don't ask them to ride courteously when pedestrians are about.  They'll act as though you violated their sacred sovereignty.

- Don't ask them not to swarm cars, creating immense sense of threat. It's their constitutional right, somehow. 

They act, in many ways, as a gang. How many people have disagreed with them on youtube or other online places to get threatened "I dare you to come out here to NY and say that to our faces."  OUR?  Don't expect to be dealing with an individual. They will call for backup. I've experienced it online. I dared to challenge one person's opinion and then I get several people "piling on" me with mean-spirited, threatening comments out of nowhere. 

More troubling than that, celebrating recklessness seems built into the NYC unicycle culture. I watched a video of one of the gang's apparently most prominent members overpowering a sherman to deliberately crash it. As he limped away, head lolling to the side and bloody like a deer that just got clipped on the highway, the other riders were CHEERING him. He was a hero to them. How is asking them to be considerate going to succeed when dealing with this type of mentality?

Debating with them doesn't work. Look how this thread has spiraled in all kinds of directions--someone even saying "well, we watch movies of people killing each other and that's okay, so why aren't these races?"  Because those are movies and these people are hurling down the streets with minimal regard for their own safety, without any thought of people just going about their day. They have this really important race to win, after all.

You won't get anywhere with logic because it's much more about status in "the gang."  This guy starting the races....what's in it for him?  He gets to be a big shot.  It's about ambition, not community. If he can put on a race that the most aggressive of the NYC "gang" enjoys, then his status goes up. If people on the forum complain, then he'll gain even more points for "owning those wimps" on the forum. He's sticking up for his "gang" and loyalty gets rewarded in gangs.

Reasoning doesn't work, as we've seen. The more you challenge them, the more they circles the wagons.

This is their legacy...over and over...proven and done. They think "it's us against the world" and they will play the role of victims, even as they make others feel fearful for their safety. They don't think they're doing it--self entitled people never do. They won't say "okay, maybe we do take it a little too far sometimes."  Nope. Instead it's: "you couldn't handle living in NY so you have no voice at all."  Someone must be forcing to live there? Forcing them to ride EUC's recklessly?

Distraction. Distraction. Distraction.  It's about basic human consideration and nothing else.

Nothing else.

Tell me any product that doesn't get regulated--much less one that shoots a human like a torpedo down the busted streets of this nation's most densely populated city. Everyone concerned about regulation absolutely should be.

Asking them to ride reasonably, no matter if logic and manners are employed, is just not an option. Quit making this about anything other than what it is: basic human consideration and the WILLFUL lack of it. 

Edited by Skeptikos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skeptikos said:

Sure thing, @Treatz. Here's you making a ton of wild accusations on page 6. I guess you could define this post as criticism, but it's criticism designed to make people angry, as part of an angry mob. I would not label this post of yours as being "considerate".

Do you mean the word "gang" used, and a description of the behaviors that define such an organization?

What's wrong?

I can rewrite the definition from the wiki.

We will discuss which parts of the definition do not fit the riders

Edited by Mark13i
  • Like 1