Stopped by police today.....

MvM

I have had my Solowheel EU since June 2014.

Since then, I have used it for almost 2500 km for all kinds of purposes.

First, I am using it every working day to travel the last 3 km to work from the place where I park my car.

Second, I use it in my home town for all kinds of activities like shopping, running errands or generally just riding around for fun. Since that time, I have had spoken to countless people who were just interested in the concept, and that includes train officials, security people or police offices.

Never have I had any accidents, run into people or been into any kind of trouble.

Today, however, was different.

I had to run an errand about a mile from home, so naturally I took my Solowheel.

I rode to the shop, with, as usual, some surprised pedestrians during my trip.

On my ride home, I got stopped my two motorbike cops.

Apparently, I had been followed on the various security camera's which are everywhere today, and these two cops were sent to interedict my mission.

After some talking, I was told that I could no longer drive on public roads for the reason that, as far as they know, an electric unicylce is not a recognized motorised vehicle and therefore not allowed on the public street.

The copy in question certainly understood that the legality of the EU is a somewhat grey area, but I was advised not to use it again or I might be fined or the EU even impounded.

So I had to walk the rest of the way home unfortunately.

Of course, at this moment, I am a bit pissed off.

First of all, an EU is no more dangerous than anyone using the street with a skate- or longboard, skeelers or bike. I even think that, generally speaking, an EU with a 10 mph speed limit is even safer than the above mentioned due to the fact it is more manouvrable than a bike or longboard and easier to stop than someone on skeelers.

Nevertheless, the lack of a well defined status of the EU is definately becoming an issue.

I am also pretty sure that as more EU's appear on public streets, the need for a legal status, even if it would come with certain technical limitations, become more and more apparent.

It would be nice if any manufacturer, in my case Inventist, would make an effert to at least start a discussion about this subject. Otherwise everyone here, both manufacturers and users, run the risk that a very cool thing will become outlawed simply because lawmakers have no idea what to do with it. And simply forbidding something has always been the easy way after all.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you really ride on the street, as opposed to the sidewalk?  Are were you using the word "street" in the more general sense?   I decided very early on that the street was not the place for me when riding the EUC.  Too dangerous.. and I don't like wearing protection.

I have had my Solowheel EU since June 2014.

Since then, I have used it for almost 2500 km for all kinds of purposes.

First, I am using it every working day to travel the last 3 km to work from the place where I park my car.

Second, I use it in my home town for all kinds of activities like shopping, running errands or generally just riding around for fun. Since that time, I have had spoken to countless people who were just interested in the concept, and that includes train officials, security people or police offices.

Never have I had any accidents, run into people or been into any kind of trouble.

Today, however, was different.

I had to run an errand about a mile from home, so naturally I took my Solowheel.

I rode to the shop, with, as usual, some surprised pedestrians during my trip.

On my ride home, I got stopped my two motorbike cops.

Apparently, I had been followed on the various security camera's which are everywhere today, and these two cops were sent to interedict my mission.

After some talking, I was told that I could no longer drive on public roads for the reason that, as far as they know, an electric unicylce is not a recognized motorised vehicle and therefore not allowed on the public street.

The copy in question certainly understood that the legality of the EU is a somewhat grey area, but I was advised not to use it again or I might be fined or the EU even impounded.

So I had to walk the rest of the way home unfortunately.

Of course, at this moment, I am a bit pissed off.

First of all, an EU is no more dangerous than anyone using the street with a skate- or longboard, skeelers or bike. I even think that, generally speaking, an EU with a 10 mph speed limit is even safer than the above mentioned due to the fact it is more manouvrable than a bike or longboard and easier to stop than someone on skeelers.

Nevertheless, the lack of a well defined status of the EU is definately becoming an issue.

I am also pretty sure that as more EU's appear on public streets, the need for a legal status, even if it would come with certain technical limitations, become more and more apparent.

It would be nice if any manufacturer, in my case Inventist, would make an effert to at least start a discussion about this subject. Otherwise everyone here, both manufacturers and users, run the risk that a very cool thing will become outlawed simply because lawmakers have no idea what to do with it. And simply forbidding something has always been the easy way after all.

That's annoying. What country are you from mate?

I'm in the UK & expecting my first EU to be shipped by Jane on Monday.

Need to clarify when you say "street", as in the road or sidewalk?

Almost every country in the world recognize that a vehicle is described as having 2 wheels or more and a place for the user to sit (Best to check on your country's transportation department for clarity.  I know here in Hong Kong Segway type vehicles are also illegal to be used in public walkways and roads).  As an electrical unicycle has only one wheel without a place to sit it is classed as a recreational toy.

Best to use on sidewalks and cycle lanes and pathways.

In the same lines police won't really have anything defined to write you up on. Even if they write you up for using a none roadworthy vehicle on the roads you can just say that an EU is not classed as a vehicle by law :) Then they can say that as its not classed as a vehicle why are you using it on the roads and you get yourself into a endless loop of sorts. :rolleyes:

I just want it for the convenience, not to be noticed lol.

you'll be noticed o'right

Most of ppl just look and turn heads, some ask nicely, some -especially the 20s range- would shout things like "what the fck is that". 

Today I got my first "that's so gay", thought for a moment to stop but fortunately I decided to ignore; after all, I'm the only one riding such a thing for miles around, better set a good example :)

Here in Finland, and in the north where I live, the police have not been addressed in any way. Solely as asking where these can be bought, and whether it is difficult to learn how to drive.
At the moment, these are our "forbidden" but, after half a year they are legal to use  :)

Do you really ride on the street, as opposed to the sidewalk?  Are were you using the word "street" in the more general sense?   I decided very early on that the street was not the place for me when riding the EUC.  Too dangerous.. and I don't like wearing protection.

Sorry fo the misunderstanding.

I rarely ride on the street. Normally, I ride on the sidewalk or the bikelanes.

FYI, I live in Rotterdam, the Netherlaands.

In this case, I was riding on the main shopping street of Rotterdam called the Lijnbaan in the centre of town.

This has a nice smooth surface. I have ridden this street for hundreds of times now, sometimes multiple time a day or evening or sometimes even at night. Often for riding errands or shipping in town and, when the weather is nice, just for fun. As said above, never had any trouble or problems nor accidents.

Need to clarify when you say "street", as in the road or sidewalk?

Almost every country in the world recognize that a vehicle is described as having 2 wheels or more and a place for the user to sit (Best to check on your country's transportation department for clarity.  I know here in Hong Kong Segway type vehicles are also illegal to be used in public walkways and roads).  As an electrical unicycle has only one wheel without a place to sit it is classed as a recreational toy.

Best to use on sidewalks and cycle lanes and pathways.

In the same lines police won't really have anything defined to write you up on. Even if they write you up for using a none roadworthy vehicle on the roads you can just say that an EU is not classed as a vehicle by law :) Then they can say that as its not classed as a vehicle why are you using it on the roads and you get yourself into a endless loop of sorts. :rolleyes:

In the Netherlands, there is a general law concerning all vehicles used on the street.

The main article states than a 'motorize vehicle' is any vehicle with an indepent drive system (this includes electric power) that is not riding along rails.

Any such device needs to have been approved by the RDW, which is the main Dutch institute for testing and approving vehicles. And any approved vehicle should be covered by road insurance and have a license plate.

Mopeds are a different category, but are definced as having two wheels or more.

E-Bikes are mentioned separately as devices NOT falling under this law, so for those, no insurance or license plate is necessary as long as the top speed does not exceed 25 kph.

Unortunately, electric unicylcle did not exists at the time this law was written. They are a somewhat grey area, but if taken literally, an EU should have an insurance and license plate.

In my opinion, the electric unicyle should fall in the same category as an ebike, especially if you have one which spee is limited to 16-18 kph.

Most of ppl just look and turn heads, some ask nicely, some -especially the 20s range- would shout things like "what the fck is that".

Today I got my first "that's so gay", thought for a moment to stop but fortunately I decided to ignore; after all, I'm the only one riding such a thing for miles around, better set a good example :)

I've already decided that if anybody tries to stop me, I'm going to politely apologise, say I'm late & keep riding lol. I am expecting trouble from the police when they see me though, as I seem to have the kind of look that makes them pull me over a lot :-S

Hey MvM, are there laws regarding devices like the Segway? Do those need to be licensed in your area? Since you have a name-brand Solowheel, you should try contacting the company to see if they can help you. I am sure they do not want a situation like this where nobody could ride a Solowheel in the entire country except on private property. What good is that?

In most of the United States, the states have laws they enacted about 10 years ago to deal with the Segway. They created an acronym called Electronic Personal Assistive Mobility Device (EPAMD). An EPAMD is defined as something with an electric motor that carries only one person and goes less than 15 miles per hour (25kph), like the Segway. Those are not required to be registered, the driver doesn't need to be licensed, and they are supposed to operate on sidewalks or bike lanes when available. They can operate in the street if there are no sidewalks, but only on streets with speed limits are 30 miles per hour (50kph) or less. I carry a copy of the local law with me just in case, but have never been bothered.

In the Netherlands, there is a general law concerning all vehicles used on the street.

The main article states than a 'motorize vehicle' is any vehicle with an indepent drive system (this includes electric power) that is not riding along rails.

Any such device needs to have been approved by the RDW, which is the main Dutch institute for testing and approving vehicles. And any approved vehicle should be covered by road insurance and have a license plate.

Mopeds are a different category, but are definced as having two wheels or more.

E-Bikes are mentioned separately as devices NOT falling under this law, so for those, no insurance or license plate is necessary as long as the top speed does not exceed 25 kph.

Unortunately, electric unicylcle did not exists at the time this law was written. They are a somewhat grey area, but if taken literally, an EU should have an insurance and license plate.

In my opinion, the electric unicyle should fall in the same category as an ebike, especially if you have one which spee is limited to 16-18 kph.

Check what in your country is classed as a vehicle.  You mentioned that a "Motorized Vehicle" is any "vehicle" with an independent drive system, easy to understand statement, but as I was saying before, an EU in most countries is not classed as a "vehicle" in the first place but rather a recreational toy.  So until your country changes the law what you own is a motorized toy

Today I got my first "that's so gay", thought for a moment to stop but fortunately I decided to ignore; after all, I'm the only one riding such a thing for miles around, better set a good example :)[/quotto

The hardest part of being put down by somebody, for doing something new, is to hide my pity for them. Such barely concealed jealousy must be hard for them to live with. I usually agree with them, laugh at myself with them for a while & then carry on about my day. At 35kph for almost no effort soon with any luck :-D

That is worrying for me, as the UK is slowly but surely turning into America & I ordered the Gotway 18" (fast version). I'm thinking of finding or making a sticker from a different company so it will pass a quick inspection from a novice.

Why don't you just find stickers the same color as the shell and cover any markings instead of replacing them with other brand?  Anyone you find suspicious asking you about the EU you can just say its an unbranded product.  Stops them from having information to investigate you on.

The person who made the comment wasn't meaning the act of riding an electrical unicycle, but your unicycle is bright girly pink and covered in rainbows and unicorns and the fact your t-shirt read "I'm a raging Homo" on it. :P

Check what in your country is classed as a vehicle.  You mentioned that a "Motorized Vehicle" is any "vehicle" with an independent drive system, easy to understand statement, but as I was saying before, an EU in most countries is not classed as a "vehicle" in the first place but rather a recreational toy.  So until your country changes the law what you own is a motorized toy

Unfortunately, the current in law in the Netherlands is quite specific.

"A motorvehicle is any vehicle powered by an internal powersource and not being guided by rails and not being a moped, electric bike or electric vehicle for handicapped people."

So, this very general rule seems to apply to the EU as well.

I understand that, of course, police and lawmakers would like to have rails for everything os they can act accordingly.

Unfortunately, the EU is still such a new type of vehicle that there are no specific rules for it. So, it fall under these general laws, which would make them (an any other type of vehicle) illegal :( :(

Unfortunately, the current in law in the Netherlands is quite specific.

"A motorvehicle is any vehicle powered by an internal powersource and not being guided by rails and not being a moped, electric bike or electric vehicle for handicapped people."

So, this very general rule seems to apply to the EU as well.

I understand that, of course, police and lawmakers would like to have rails for everything os they can act accordingly.

Unfortunately, the EU is still such a new type of vehicle that there are no specific rules for it. So, it fall under these general laws, which would make them (an any other type of vehicle) illegal :( :(

I don't think you quite understand me still.

For example in Hong Kong where I live by law the very definition of a "Vehicle" is anything that has 2 wheels or more and has a place for the operator to sit.  Anything else is not classed as a vehicle. 

Skateboard: 4 wheels - No place to sit = Not a vehicle

Roller-blades: 8 wheels - No place to sit = Not a vehicle

Electric unicycle: 1 wheel - No place to sit = Not a vehicle

Bicycle: 2 wheels - Has a place to sit = Vehicle

Car: 4 wheels - Has a place to sit = Vehicle

So an electrical unicycle although you ride it is not defined by Hong Kong law as a vehicle because the 2 conditions I have just mentions do not fit it.  I'm pretty sure the definition of a "Vehicle" will be the same where you currently live too. 

Having a power source does not make any object a vehicle.  If that was the case then an electric kettle would be considered a motor vehicle, but its not because it doesn't have 2 wheels or more and there is no where for an operator to sit.

I don't think you quite understand me still.

For example in Hong Kong where I live by law the very definition of a "Vehicle" is anything that has 2 wheels or more and has a place for the operator to sit.  Anything else is not classed as a vehicle. 

Skateboard: 4 wheels - No place to sit = Not a vehicle

Roller-blades: 8 wheels - No place to sit = Not a vehicle

Electric unicycle: 1 wheel - No place to sit = Not a vehicle

Bicycle: 2 wheels - Has a place to sit = Vehicle

Car: 4 wheels - Has a place to sit = Vehicle

So an electrical unicycle although you ride it is not defined by Hong Kong law as a vehicle because the 2 conditions I have just mentions do not fit it.  I'm pretty sure the definition of a "Vehicle" will be the same where you currently live too. 

Having a power source does not make any object a vehicle.  If that was the case then an electric kettle would be considered a motor vehicle, but its not because it doesn't have 2 wheels or more and there is no where for an operator to sit.

Unfortunately, I understand you perfectly..

Under Dutch law, there is NO specific definition of what constitutes a 'vehicle'.

There is ONLY this general definition of a motorvehicle which is anything that moves under its own power, not on rails, and not being a moped, ebike or handicapped vehicle.

So, again very unfortunate, under that rule, the EU falls in that category.

Unfortunately, I understand you perfectly..

Under Dutch law, there is NO specific definition of what constitutes a 'vehicle'.

There is ONLY this general definition of a motorvehicle which is anything that moves under its own power, not on rails, and not being a moped, ebike or handicapped vehicle.

So, again very unfortunate, under that rule, the EU falls in that category.

Ok I hear you.

But are you sure they said you can't use the EU at all or just not allowed to use it on the road?

Archived