V10F or KS16X - best value?

On 6/1/2021 at 5:44 PM, supercurio said:

Hi @pressbyron!

I own both, V10F as my first wheel (bought new) and 16X as second wheel (bought second hand).

They both have their pros and cons, and play in different class.
I agree that on paper, like @Camenbert mentions the V12 should provide the best of both.

If you're in the Stockholm area, I'd be happy to meet, talk on the topic and give you the opportunity to try both :)

If not I'll develop further here.

Hello, actually I have the same question... KS 16x (777wh or 1554 wh don't know either) vs V10F...

What did you explain about the difference between 2 of them.

I'm a girl, not too heavy (52-58 kg), and it will be my first wheel. Weight counts and battery counts as well for me.

Thank you.

• Like 2

buy model with biggest battery You can still lift. 

v10F - ok, but only 1000wh, KS16x has 1500wh.

Consider also 16" Nikola or 19" Rs (both 1800wh) - similar weight and better battery, Rs has bigger, more comfortable wheel.

• Like 1

Salut @Katwoooman!

The V10F is easier to carry because it's lighter and slimmer than the 16X, and it has better waterproofing out of the box if you plan to use it every day for commuting.
The 16X wins on everything else. Significantly longer range in practice (easily +65%), higher top speed if needed, won't feel as limited when joining group rides which is a great social aspect, and an awesome off-roader.

The V10F is really good for chill rides, where you'd go by bike for instance. It's responsive and nimble. Fine for bike lanes, and if you want to stick to the 25km/h limit. If you plan to also ride faster sometimes then it's a bit annoying.
The 16X can do all this and open more possibilities.

I could ask what you think you will do with the wheel but since you don't have one for now, you can't really know yet. Do you have an idea already?

I don't include Gotway/Begode wheels as extra recommendations due to the un-addressed ongoing issue of battery fires.

2 hours ago, Katwoooman said:

KS 16x (777wh or 1554 wh don't know either) vs V10F...

There is an option with the 16X… you can buy the slightly lighter 777 wH 16XS and add the second battery later. It's what I did. The overall cost of starting with the single battery and adding the second one later was a little more expensive than starting out with the large battery, and my wheel is limited to a slightly lower top speed (would need a replacement control board) but it was a good way to make sure I was going to like riding before fully committing.

In general though, the advice to buy the biggest battery you can tolerate is very good advice. This is mostly because of safety because you quickly find out that you want to go just a bit quicker and a bit further as you gain skills and both of those require battery to ensure safe riding. Which unfortunately, means added weight.

@Funky's advice to buy the biggest your can carry is also spot on. The weight of the wheel doesn't matter much when you are riding, weight really is only a problem for lifting it onto a stand, or into the boot of a car, or up and down stairs. When you're trolleying the wheel around, the wheel does all the work so weight is moot. If you use two hands and good lifting technique (lift using your legs), you should be able to lift both the 1554 wH 16X and the V10F without issue.

You might also consider the KS18XL. It's in the same weight class as the 16X but has a larger wheel so it's generally a nicer cruising wheel. It's a bit less agile than the smaller diameter wheel, but if you don't see yourself on the single track a lot the 18XL is a very good wheel indeed.

(BTW, the 16X had waterproofing problems in its first batches, they have been resolved since about mid 2020. No wheel is really waterproof, but out of the box you don't need to fear light rain or puddles with the 16X)

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

weight really is only a problem for lifting it onto a stand

Or get a drive on stand, where wheel stands it self. <3 

26 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

You might also consider the KS18XL.

Yup 18xl is awesome cruiser wheel - if you ride more or less flat ground. If you enjoy more "off-road" 16x would be much better.

As for water - simply use bag over the euc.. Or more pretty solution would be "back pack cover" < I use that in rain..

Edited by Funky
  • Like 2

On 6/1/2021 at 8:12 AM, pressbyron said:

Hey!

I currently ride a MCM5 340WH, i'm a light rider at ~65kg so this wheel takes me approx 16km before getting low voltage beeps in inclines etc. My commute to work is ~15km so I use this wheel to get there, charge, and go home. 

I'm looking to upgrade as I outgrew this wheel with my 600km ridden.

I'm looking at the V10F (960WH) and figure this will take me to work, and back, without any issue. Currently I can get this for ~1300 euro.
I'm also looking at KS16X (1500WH), this will be more future proof in terms of range and I really like the design, and there is an official seat. But this one is more like ~1900 euro.

How much speed difference is there in the wheels? Specs says 10km/h (40 vs 50km/h) but i've also read about cutoffs on the KS16X so I do not think riding it at 50km/h would be an option? But then again maybe riding the V10F at 40km/h is not doable either?
I currently ride at around 30km/h on my MCM5 and pretty close to the 80% motor output beeps :P

I live in Sweden and I have not seen any place to service my EUC, and also they are not exactly legal (max 20km/h is the rule). 
So is it worth the extra money to get a KS16X with limited service options and a (very low to none) risk of getting it impounded by the cops?

Also since I live in swede, does the V10F have better weather proofing? (can be rainy here :P)

Any input would be awesome!

For the price of a 16x I would rather pay a little more for an rs19 high speed .I think it’s the best value bang for your buck wheel .so much torque and a rocket off the line and I’ve hit 73 kph on it and it will easily cruise at 60 kph on the regular and I weigh 98kg ..it’s awesome on all surfaces ,dirt ,grass and pavement .….range is dependent on how fast you ride but the 1800wh battery gets good range .I’ve had my rs19 hs for 5 weeks and put 1150 km on it already .i don’t ride in the rain tho so I don’t know if they have improved weatherproofing or not 

I was thinking between the two until I asked the sales person to ride up the hill for me on a demo V10F...

For my user case, despite being already rather ancient, KS16X is probably one of the best wheels on the market and we yet to see V12HT to reliably take KS16X's crown of a hill climber. KS16X is "stronger", I think it compares to 10F as an average SUV compares to an average hatch.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, That Guy said:

KS16X is "stronger"

In the pull test topic, the "mighty 16x" is able to pull harder on the pull meter than any other wheel tested to date! They haven't tested the V12 or Master yet, but the 16" wheel diameter is a big advantage for climbing. They haven't tested a V10F yet either.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

I have both wheels and I weigh 240lbs with gear.  I have found the performance of the v10f to be very limiting.  It's slow up hills, struggles with anything over 30km/h and has a very short range.  The v10f however is smoother and more comfortable to ride.  It reminds me of a beach cruiser.  A beach cruiser is a bike you ride when you want to forget you're riding a bike and just take in the scenery. That's exactly what I use the v10f for.  Also the v10f is easier to carry.

O prefer the 16x though.  I've taken my 16x up to 50km/h.  I've learned from this forum thats a bad idea so I now keep it around 40km/h.  I really really appreciate the wider tire on this wheel - soaks up bumps better.  This wheel is heavier, harder to carry and not quite as effortless to ride because it is wider.  The street I ride on are poor condition I have to go up hills so with my weight the v10f is not an option - while the 16x is awesome. 

I've only been riding for 3 months though and I already find the speed of the 16x limiting.  For longer rides I reach for me V11 or EX or Sherman more.  16x is just too fun though - super nimble.  It's great for short errands. 

For commuting on flat, smooth ground I would reccomend the 18xl though (I had one for a while).  It can reach 50km/h more safely and is more stable above 30km/h (as long as the road is smooth).  

Edited by wstuart
  • Like 2