Serious Accident

Citi Wheel

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, MetricUSA said:

Black box, is needed for this type of instances, save last five minutes of data... 

I agree, but the last thing a manufacturer would want on their wheels is a Black Box. It could possibly incriminate them. It would need to be an aftermarket solution. 

22 minutes ago, ConjurMan said:

What, no helmet and wrist guards?  Otherwise very nice.  

I ordered gloves separately. Hope i can use gloves instead of wrist guards. They are still In transit.

i do have a bicycle helmet but i think a skate board helmet will look better, so i might order it at some point.

11 hours ago, Cloud said:

I ordered gloves separately. Hope i can use gloves instead of wrist guards. They are still In transit.

i do have a bicycle helmet but i think a skate board helmet will look better, so i might order it at some point.

a skate helmet covers also the back of the head that the basic difference (there's a low possibility hitting the back of your head falling of a bike).

You have to make sure to get one with a stifft hick protective inner liner suitable for rolerskating and inline skating (which will protect agains severe impact), not a cheap helmet with a thin soft liner just for skateboarding.

3 hours ago, Kwing said:

Make sure you wear shoes that protect your ankle too..! 

That's one thing about the NineBot that I really like.  When it falls, it does not spin in circles and hit everything within reach...  The TG F3 on the other hand does.

2 hours ago, Jag_Rip said:

Didnt think of buying a helmet, but for commuting with other traffic around me its helping for the peace of mind ( also after a eventual accident)

Dont be afraid, its just me...

Nice. I like Bern helmets. It's a good product line to check out if you're on the fence about wearing one (no, I don't sell them). They're pretty light and comfortable, but most are certified to bike safety standards, which is safer for your head if you take a tumble at high speed. You can swap out the liner depending on the season (looks like you've got a winter liner here). Plus you can clearly get your Hell's Angels look on if that's what you're after... ;)

@Obly thanks for the reassuring words, I was looking for a light but safe enough helmet that I could wear summer and winter, that doesnt have ventilationslits that would let rain through (I figured I wont need a vented Helmet, since I am not very active on my commute, I basically stand still and let the bot do all the work). But the matte black will probably heat up pretty good in summertime.

When I saw that Bern brand I smiled and had to do some research, since Bern is the Capital of Switzerland. But like K-Swiss it has nothing in common with my country. But its a respected brand and I read a lot of good reviews about them. And I really like the Lid, it hopefully helps to keep my glasses free of drops (mostly) when riding through the rain.

@DSeucist hehe, actually one message is intended to the police: dont bother stopping me, I am a super law-abiding citizen, look I even wear safetygear where its not mandatory :D

On January 14, 2016 at 4:18 PM, Cloud said:

My safety gear arrived today.

i ordered it after reading this thread.

@logos122, thank you for telling us about this terrible accident, hope your post will inspire other like it did me. Get well soon

image.jpeg

I'm glad the story helped you. And thanks, I had surgery Thursday, should be riding again in 6 weeks lol. 

3 minutes ago, logos122 said:

I'm glad the story helped you. And thanks, I had surgery Thursday, should be riding again in 6 weeks lol. 

That's the Spirit!  Glad you will be better before too long.

On Friday, January 15, 2016 at 0:52 PM, Jag_Rip said:

Didnt think of buying a helmet, but for commuting with other traffic around me its helping for the peace of mind ( also after a eventual accident)

Dont be afraid, its just me...

IMG_20160114_175751.jpg

you do understand that dressed like this, you simply cannot ride a white or red wheel?;)

• 3 months later...

My accident occurred on a Ninebot one P. Sudden cut off at regular cruising speed, on a small incline. No beeping, no tilt back, no nothing. Just a sudden cut off. The wheel turned on again after the accident and the battery status indicated on the app was 77%.

The result was:

“Mildly displaced right elbow radial head fracture. Left elbow injury with subluxation and dislocation type I coronoid fracture and a completely nondisplaced radial head fracture.”

I am not going back on the P again. Almost 2 months after the incident I have recently gone back riding my old E+ but, in all honesty, I lack the same confidence that I use to have before, hopefully it will get better with time. In my case no protection gear would have helped me since my problem was that I landed on my hands with arms straight in order to protect my head and elbow joints absorbed all the impact with the humerus smashing against ulna and radius.

I am now considering getting KS16 A.  

22 hours ago, fearedbliss said:

@logos222 How are you feeling? This is scary stuff, I'm gonna start wearing my helmet again even though I'm a veteran rider O.O.

I'm feeling better. It took a few months for my cognitive function to get back to normal (Neurologist said I have a mild concussion), and I just came back from the orthopedic yesterday.  He said my collar bone was completely healed up! I am not riding the gotway anymore, but I have started riding the 9bot e+ again. I am still worried it may shut off at anytime, and am wearing more protection now, when riding. 

I don't know if this issue has been brought up before but, are there any way to run diagnostics or maintenance on electric unicycles. I mean cars and other vehicles, require routine check-ups to make sure they are functioning properly. Shouldn't EUCs as well?

27 minutes ago, Moltimondi said:

My accident occurred on a Ninebot one P. Sudden cut off at regular cruising speed, on a small incline. No beeping, no tilt back, no nothing. Just a sudden cut off. The wheel turned on again after the accident and the battery status indicated on the app was 77%.

The result was:

“Mildly displaced right elbow radial head fracture. Left elbow injury with subluxation and dislocation type I coronoid fracture and a completely nondisplaced radial head fracture.”

I am not going back on the P again. Almost 2 months after the incident I have recently gone back riding my old E+ but, in all honesty, I lack the same confidence that I use to have before, hopefully it will get better with time. In my case no protection gear would have helped me since my problem was that I landed on my hands with arms straight in order to protect my head and elbow joints absorbed all the impact with the humerus smashing against ulna and radius.

I am sorry to hear you suffered an accident as well. I think more people are this forum need to realize the potential danger of EUCs. In my experience, any shut-off above 10 mph can cause serious injury. I think solowheel realized this from very early on and wisely limited their products to 10 mph. If I can ever afford it, I am personality considering getting the solowheel xtreme for my next wheel.

@logos122I'm glad to hear you are close to back to normal :). You are right, EU should have routine inspections but we don't really have that nowadays since they are not that popular, there isn't really an ez way to get it to a "authorized repair personnel".

I'm worried about riding Ninebots or any other wheels that allow one to do firmware updates. The KS 14C has been extremely reliable for me and they don't allow firmware updates so once you know it works, it works forever (or until hardware failure haha).

I would like them to cap the speeds at 25 km/h. My ks goes at 30 km/h and it's fine but I never go at those speeds since it is dangerous. 16 km/h (10 mph) is too slow for me, but I feel 15 is a good balance between too fast and too slow.

2 hours ago, Moltimondi said:

The result was:

"landed on my hands with arms straight", some practice on taking a barrel roll can prevent this, of course this is easier said than done...

I never had serious injuries, but after each bad fall it took me some time to get the confidence up to the previous level

@fearedbliss

I believe you've made a good point on the firmware.

Firmware updates should be developed for very good reasons (>> safety>performance>.......>BS settings) and tested thoroughly before making them available to the users.

Some users just cannot resist to mend something that is not broken...

3 hours ago, Moltimondi said:

In my case no protection gear would have helped me since my problem was that I landed on hands with my arms straight

As an open opponent against advocating protection wearing, let me still say that there is some chance that wrist protection could have alleviated the injury pattern, as they should have dampened the impact forces coming through the hands somewhat. Still a very disturbing accident in any case.

I am glad to hear that you have recovered so to go back on a wheel.

Archived