(Answer: probably not) CST C803: a knobby for 16" wheels like 16X, Nikola and V12?

supercurio

I'd like to improve the off-road capabilities of my Kingsong 16X, and have been looking for tires for that.
From reading the various threads on the topic, it seems that options found so far were not particularly convincing in the sense that the tires were compromising riding on asphalt too much.

Then what about the CST C803 in its 3.00-12 dimensions?
https://www.csttires.com/int/tire/c803/
C8032.thumb.png.26648b41e736f7f60485276248fb572c.png

Would it fit?
The spec lists the width at 80mm but I don't know if it includes the knobs or not.

@fbhb has a 2.50-14 one on his S18, which has been used successfully a few years back on MSX as well, before the Kenda K262 became more popular. I found no trace of feedback on the 3.00-12 version however.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 1

• supercurio changed the title to CST C803: a knobby for 16" wheels like 16X, Nikola and V12?
2 hours ago, supercurio said:

@fbhb has a 2.50-14 one on his S18

@supercurio just let me correct you here, as currently I actually have the CST 6004 2.75-14 fitted to my S18 but do have the CST 803 2.50-14 still in the packaging, unused and ready for future use.

CST 6004 tire measurement

Pictured above is my CST 6004 measuring 2.854 (approx. 72mm) and this is a wider tire than the CST 803 2.50-14 I have the option to fit at some point.

I'm quite sure the 3.0-12 tire you are looking at will be way too wide to fit any 16" wheel as 80mm will probably be the overall width of the carcass, but may not even include the knobs.  For comparison the CST 803 2.50-14 I have here measures 66.5mm (off the wheel and still plastic wrapped of course) but I would not expect it to come up much wider than 68mm-69mm tops fitted and aired up. 

This tire in these dimensions will comfortably fit the S18 and from what I have heard from others that have previously used it, the width is similar to the stock S18 tires.  The IRC TR1 2.75-14 is the widest knobby that will fit the S18, but unfortunately any 3" wide knobby tire is just not going to fit a 16" wheel (or even an 18" in fact) and so you would need to look for something 2.50" wide max.

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

Thanks @fbhb for all the details, especially the measurements.

I thought that it might have been your S18 shown in the picture from this post, but maybe it's what encouraged you to buy the CST 803 knobby instead ^_^

So it doesn't seem to be too hopeful to get the 3.00-12 knobby into the 16X.
Likewise for the 80/100-12 version since its section width is also listed at 80mm.

I measured the currently CY 5167 currently installed and it gets only as wide as 70mm. The wheel well measures at roughly 80mm wide.

Although the 16X is a really good off-roader, it's so difficult to find a 16" knobby that fits that I'm tempted to get the tire and find a creative way to make it happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supercurio said:

it's so difficult to find a 16" knobby that fits that I'm tempted to get the tire and find a creative way to make it happen.

Save yourself from the headache... There should be 2.50-12 knobby tires rather easily available. A local 16X rider bought one off the shelf from a generic store that sells everything from car parts to camping equipment. They don’t even carry any 2.75-14 or 80/80-14 tires, so us 18x3 EUC users are left empty handed.

• Like 2

• supercurio changed the title to (Answer: no) CST C803: a knobby for 16" wheels like 16X, Nikola and V12?
  • supercurio changed the title to (Answer: probably not) CST C803: a knobby for 16" wheels like 16X, Nikola and V12?