Backordered??? Who here is waiting???

UniBlab

I asked ewheels if my future toy had made it out of the factory and was on a boat.  Not only did they tell me it was on a ship, but told me it is on a ship called the Andes, and gave me a link to track its progress. https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/COSCO-SHIPPING-ANDES-IMO-9757888-MMSI-477194600  

Currently there are huge numbers of ships parked(anchored) in cluster near Chinese ports.  From what I can tell it made its stop in Yantian, but it is next due to stop in Hong Kong, which seems strange since it just left Hong Kong before going to Yantian.  It appears they have to wait until at least Monday to get into Hong Kong.  Who knows how many other stops it might need to make before making its way to California. 

At least it is interesting to learn a little about the trials an tribulations of international shipping and trade. 

• Like 2

Yes - the Andes actually sat moored at Yantian for almost 6 days; can't make any $$ sitting.  Were originally due in LA on the 6th but after the long delay she had to return to HK. Not sure why.

It'll all get worked out but expect the Brown Santa to be delayed!!! :cry2:

Edited by UniBlab

On 6/4/2021 at 2:03 PM, Jeffrey Markham said:

It seems like supply chains are messed up everywhere.

19 hours ago, CarlW said:

Currently there are huge numbers of ships parked(anchored) in cluster near Chinese ports.  From what I can tell it made its stop in Yantian, but it is next due to stop in Hong Kong, which seems strange since it just left Hong Kong before going to Yantian.  It appears they have to wait until at least Monday to get into Hong Kong.  Who knows how many other stops it might need to make before making its way to California. 

At least it is interesting to learn a little about the trials an tribulations of international shipping and trade.

I was interested in this thread because I also have an EX on back-order and am fully expecting to wait a good while. On one level I enjoy the wait. Anticipation is a minor thrill in itself. And it gives me a chance to change my mind, or make sure I still want the wheel. 

The YouTube algorithm somehow read my mind ... :confused1: ... and brought me this video that talks a great deal about all this mess with Covid, supply chains, shipping, etc. It does not discuss European issues as much as Asia and America. But it has got to be a similar situation everywhere.

• Like 1

Chatted with a guy who exports “stuff” about the container shortage… in addition to the things in that video he said a huge number of containers are stuck in customs bond because the owner couldn’t pay the bond due to COVID and related complications. And those containers are stuck until the courts can settle things—the containers are clogging up the holding areas at customs (they are in bond after all) so new containers can’t move through. He said this is a global problem and didn’t expect it to be resolved anytime soon.

• Like 2

It appears the Andes is finally leaving the congestion of Chinese ports an making its way east to Taiwan.  Hopefully there are not to many more stops before crossing the Pacific.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, UniBlab said:

Usually 2 weeks from Taiwan to LA - we shall see how long!  Put that pedal to the metal!!!

The Andes just set sail for the US - ETA is June 23rd.  I don't even know if my wheel is on board but you guys have me hyped for it!  Go Andes!

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 5:45 PM, CarlW said:

vesselfinder.com blows.  Search on the IMO/MMSI number for other ship tracking sites not restricting open water shipping locations.

Have you been able to track the Andes?  All of the websites I've seen show ship out of range or something to that effect.  Seems like they want you to pay to track ships in open ocean. No thanks.....

2 hours ago, UniBlab said:

Have you been able to track the Andes?

The last land based tracking had in off shore near Fukushima Japan.  Distance to California from that position is roughly 5500 miles and I think they can go about 500 miles per day.  Given the ETA they probably have about 3000 miles to go, so yeah pretty much in the middle of the Pacific.  They had the ETA late on the 22nd, but it has changed back to the morning of the 23rd so I guess they are slightly slower than expected when leaving Taiwan. 

• Like 1

I am simply amazed that people can track ships now. It kind of spoils the surprise tho doesnt it? I mean, who doesnt like to spend a mint and then wonder what may happen? I'm old school, I set the money free and carry on about my life in hopes SOMETHING may EVENTUALLY show up. If i were to keep tracking a ship, my impatience would get even worse!

• Like 3

Based on my self-proclaimed expert opinion (gleaned from 2 weeks of intermittent lackadaisical research and numerous youtube videos), I've concluded that the Andes should be within terrestrial AIS reception by Monday the 21st and thus consistent updates will be forthcoming until she is moored at the Port of Long Beach.

You can now go about your regularly scheduled business. That is all..................

Edited by UniBlab
  • Like 1

Uniblab perhaps there is a chance.  Ship speed is reported as somewhat slow.

Screenshot 2021-06-21 085955.jpg

UPDATE- yep you nailed it.  She just check in 12 minutes ago.  Still 600 or so miles to go

Edited by CarlW
  • Like 2