Hey guys!

Im thinking about buying my first ever euc. For now im looking at around 1-1.2k eur (1200-1350 usd) price tag, so prolly ks16s, v8f or mcm5v2.

The speed is not really important. Its gonna be a learning/rather slow ride wheel anyways. 72kg (158lbs) btw. 

mcm5v2 seems to be a bit more sporty? ks16s "safe/newbie friendly"? and for v8f idk. it has good opinions tho.

ks16s seems to be best option, but i'd love to hear someone with actual experience, as the specs arent always 100% accurate, so which one would you guys recommend?

Hey! Welcome to the community!

I personally love the Mcm5v2. Its definitely the most bang for your buck out of your choice of wheels. They call it the mountain climber for a reason haha. This thing will climb baby. That said the Mcm5v2 has one trade off and that is that it's not the easiest wheel to learn to ride on. Most of the people I've taught to ride have given me this same feedback about that wheel versus something like a ks16s or in my case the mten3. Almost everyone can get up and going on the mten3 pretty quickly because the pedals sit a little lower to the ground. If you have the determination you can learn how to ride on any wheel. Just take it slow and learn the basics like mounting and dismounting before moving on to riding. I like this guys take on learning. 

Good luck! Eucs are truly amazing.

Another vote for MCM5v2 love here! IMO its certainly the most exciting wheel of the bunch mentioned here & nothing beats it in its price range.

I won't go into the looks but far's build quality goes, because its my "winter" wheel & my extreme technical dirt climbing wheel, I've tossed mine in innumerable ways & even dunked it sideways in 8"+ puddles of cold slushy water more a coupla times. It's also my hood runabout & skatepark trickster.

Amusingly I find that its the easily wheel to ride in my stable. At least much easier & less 'tricky' than the Mten3. Besides the obvious limitations of the 14x2.5 tire & 800wh battery, its my fav. I love it but as always, its a YMMV

• 4 weeks later...

I started with the V8f, and couldn’t be happier with it. I went for the V8 as it is one of the most sold wheels, and has a good reputation for build quality and reliability. 

I maybe should have gotten an MCM5 for my second wheel (small and light, just for goofing around), but went with the much cheaper and harder-to-ride Mten3. I wouldn't advise the Mten as a learner! But the MCM5 should have staying power both as your learner and for later as your goofing around wheel... granted, I haven't actually ridden one so value my opinion accordingly.

53 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

I wouldn't advise the Mten as a learner!

In my experience so far most people responded the opposite. Most of the new euc riders I've worked with have had trouble getting started on the Mcm5v2 but were able to pick up riding the Mten3 in just a couple of minutes. I also thought that the Mcm5v2 would be a good wheel to teach people to ride when I bought it, but its higher center of gravity can be awkward at first. Everyones learning experience is different though so maybe the only solution is to own both wheels haha!

Edited by SorenStarr

I'd recommend the MCM5 as well for a first wheel. I don't own one yet but read on:

Some may not agree but I'd say, your height and weight is a factor on choosing your first wheel - it's about leverage when learning to mount.

If this helps as a reference; I'm about 164cm at 63kg. I have an mten3 - small, light and harder to mount at first but super nimble. I use it a lot for errands. After 6 months, I bought a 16X - heavier, taller, stable to mount, smooth but requires more input. I use it for commuting.

The MCM5 seems to fit in the middle and I'm likely getting one soon. You'll probably buy a few later as well. 

Protect your ankles when learning. The initial foot-pain will subside in time. Good luck

Edited by Surfling

I've taught newbies on both MCM5 and Mten3. The mten3 is definitely easier for them to pickup. I think combination of low to ground, wide tires, and good torque (small tire). Newbies tend to roll very slowly. They're afraid to move up to speed. The mten3 is stable at very slow speed.  

3 minutes ago, greentung said:

I've taught newbies on both MCM5 and Mten3. The mten3 is definitely easier for them to pickup. I think combination of low to ground, wide tires, and good torque (small tire). Newbies tend to roll very slowly. They're afraid to move up to speed. The mten3 is stable at very slow speed.  

I think this is a better advice than what I posted above.

I learned on the Mten3.  It is definitely easy to learn the riding part but it is horrible for learning to start and stop.  I never did learn to mount it like you do with any other wheel.  If you mount a larger wheel with the proper balance you can glide for a while without placing your 2nd foot on.  The Mten you have to sort of hop at the 2nd foot placement and if you miss you will likely get a chunk taken out of your ankle before it runs out of death spin.  Every wheel has its positives and negatives for learning.  I think If I had to start over i would have learned on a tesla or V10.

I just bought a V8F to learn on as my first EUC and it worked great for me.  Feels very light when you're on it and forgiving of mistakes.  Took me about a week to master basics.  I feel like there is an exponential improvement.  I couldn't even stay on the wheel for the first 2 days without holding a fence and am now very comfortable with riding at speed, u-turns, braking at speed, etc.  Highly recommend it.  App works well for me too.

As a new rider who just bought my 1st EUC just over a week ago and as someone who had never even seen an EUC in person before last week I can only recommend a Veteran Sherman, I learnt to ride it and was hitting the out of the box limit of 17mph in under 45min, 7 days in I'm doing 30mph and having a blast. I know its out side of the budget you mention but don't buy "a trainer wheel" or something small. if you really think EUC are something you are going to get into buy a wheel you wont out grow in 2 weeks spend a little extra now rather than 8 weeks down the line.