(Early beta) EUC Toolkit for EUC World: control custom LED strips based on speed

Interesting! Would love to see some pics of this setup/app screenshots. Hopefully someone will be along soon :)

Does it require a separate bluetooth connection? Or does it run from EUCW? Sorry, bit confused about how this works.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Interesting! Would love to see some pics of this setup/app screenshots. Hopefully someone will be along soon :)

Does it require a separate bluetooth connection? Or does it run from EUCW? Sorry, bit confused about how this works.

Thanks! Yes I absolutely rushed to share it before forgetting and remaining the only user ever, like I've done with many previous side projects.

I tested while riding for the first time today! It works well :D
I'm happy my 16X can do that again and gained a better brake light!

I'll document my hardware setup. It easily fits under the 16X top cover.
Nothing special beside a little bit of wiring to connect the LED strips on the SP110E controller instead of the mainboard (which LED controller is faulty)
The controller is powered by the 5V line originally used to power le LED strips.

In terms of connection, the SP110E has its own Bluetooth LE endpoint, so my app connects to that separately.
The app runs at all times in the background to check for availability of either the LED controller and/or EUC World.

It just works already, but will benefit from some UI allowing customisation of the parameters, of course.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

Cool! So it runs it own BT connection - I wondered how many connections the phone could handle (I currently have EUCW/wheel and a BT speaker).

Yes, its own Bluetooth Low Energy connection. It's a whole different stack than Bluetooth classic, which speakers and headset all currently run on.

The maximum of simultaneous connections from an android phone to unique BLE peripherals is typically 7.

In your case it would be EUC World to the wheel, EUC Toolkit to the LED Controller: 2.
In my case, EUC World to the wheel, EUC Toolkit to the LED Controller, Fitbit, Garmin Watch: 4.

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

Your wheel looks a bit like a Z10 now lol.

A beaten up Z10 maybe :P

• Like 1

Some pictures of how the SP110E controller is installed on my 16X, nothing fancy but it works.
I might add a tad of silicon and and/or hot glue here and there to secure some connectors or for weatherproofing.

The controller is attached with zip ties to one of the main cable harness. I used a bit of hot glue to make sure nothing would slide.

PXL_20210520_103539397.jpg-rescale.thumb.jpg.ed753571feb0e074794a00daafa1d580.jpg

Probably overkill: I spliced both 5V from the original LED strip connectors into a single +5V and ground

PXL_20210520_103629298.jpg-rescale.thumb.jpg.02994a79e5ebb4180453d0575d790e0e.jpg

Both LED strips are connected in parallel. They receive +5V, ground and data from the LED controller. I didn't know before trying, but yes it works without issue to have both strips in parallel including with data, that way their light effects are synchronised.
Using these standard super-cheap Dupont connectors here.

PXL_20210520_103647304.jpg-rescale.thumb.jpg.4e2b9ece6a42e5165a4aa5c18af776bb.jpg

A second view at the controller: its communication is via Bluetooth Low Energy, and I was wondering if that would interfere with the wheel's Bluetooth Low Energy module that you can see right underneath. It's even an early 16X batch which had Bluetooth issues (for audio tho, it's another IC)
Result: No problem at all. The connection is stable so far.

PXL_20210520_103701190.jpg-rescale.thumb.jpg.1c06f3ccf05e5cf32fc1700bf795e4af.jpg

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 3

I pushed an update to beta2 which changes the riding pattern to a nicer one, adjusts the pattern to a more reasonable max speed, improves the communication reliability as well by giving more time to the controller to process.

Available on the web channel and Play Store soon. Source all on github as well!
I'm quite happy using it, the results are great :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, thendless said:

Hi supercurio, appreciate all your efforts on the app. I am redoing my LEDs with 144 density and i ended up getting the same controller so looking forward to testing it. Can the app be used simultaneously with EUC World?

Awesome! You'll get quite a show with this density.

Yes, the app relies on EUC World as data source so not only it works with it but it requires it.

Note that "Enable Web Server" in EUC World general settings need to be enabled.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi supercurio,

First of all thank you so much for the hard work creating this app!
Do you think you would be able to expose the LED controls of the app as android intents? (on/off, pattern, pattern speed)
That would make it possible to change the LED settings through external apps. (e.g. Tasker)

(My idea was to change LED settings with flic buttons.)

• Like 2

On 1/5/2022 at 7:40 PM, supercurio said:

Oh yeah sure! I haven't touched this app for a while, but could certainly add that.

So your use case would be for tasker preferably, or better Flic directly?

I would say it would be better to make it compatible with tasker, because Flic Buttons are already compatible with tasker.
Tasker as it is, is already really powerful, so we would be able to control the LEDs based on variouse conditions / change them from multiple endpoints.(Flic, WearOS, ...)

• Like 1