Inmotion V8F - First time EUC rider.

inv_rod

3 hours ago, Unventor said:

.....Also about this hard struggle, the feeling you get once overcome it is priceless....or 5 new wheels later you realise it did have a pri e but that foesnt matter. Must feed the craving. ....

oh yes!!! So true!!!! It has changed me radically in only a few months! I even ride in pain...I feel the pain and I say" pain is good...I'm alive!"

• Like 3

On 5/18/2021 at 1:14 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

As relaxed as possible is best. It can help to keep going, roll up to a pole/wall, hold on, and adjust your stance.

Try doing it without even looking down, just go by what feels right. You might be surprised where your feet end up on the pedals.

But it simply takes time to get used to riding, so just enjoy and you will get better automatically (but don't expect too much too fast).

That might be in about 2 weeks or so;)

Also: there's plenty of Vegas riders for group rides and for trying other wheels. Group rides are fantastic in so many respects.

The more relaxed you are the better you'll ride. The upper body does 99% of the balance. Since I ride with music...sometimes I find myself dancing to the tune in the EUC. It's so much fun!!! Try reggae...it's great for the body balancing and relaxing while riding!!!

• Like 2

Hey All.. :)  I ended up with a problem with my v8f where wheel started shuddering very hard that it was un-rideable.  I had to send it back to ewheels for repair where Jason and team found the axle was loose so they torqued it to the right setting and applied locktite.  I just got my wheel back yesterday and took it around the block.  So far so good but I feel like my learning has stalled but I'm getting caught up pretty quick.  It's forecasted to be over 100 degrees today in Las Vegas, so I was gonna try taking it to a parking garage nearby to practice more..  

Still waiting for that "A Ha! or clicked" moment that it all feels natural...  i'm still messing around with my footing/stance while riding.. when i'm going slow 5-10 mph it's fine but when i speed up it feels like the wheel is slick and wobbly.  I'm guessing it's part of my stance trying to get used to it.  Anyway, just felt i wanted to update this thread with my progress and hopefully it helps others with my learning curve..

• Like 1

Slick and wobbly? Hmm, there is a technique where you pick up the wheel gently but firmly while it is on to see if the wheel feels balanced when it is free spinning. Obviously don't let it spin faster than you can comfortably control it. If that checks out then your going to have to experiment with air pressure. Jason has a chart on his website to use as a guideline. Both too much and too little PSI is not good, finding the right amount is part of the learning process of riding a EUC. A very small change in PSI can be a noticeable difference. Probably as low as half a PSI for some riders.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2021 at 12:28 PM, inv_rod said:

Anyway, just felt i wanted to update this thread with my progress and hopefully it helps others with my learning curve..

@inv_rod ... so what's happening with you lately? Are you laying down some successful mileage? It has been a couple months now. Are you riding that wheel like you own it now? Give me some good news please!

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2021 at 3:17 PM, Roadpower said:

Just this morning I was watching a video by Wrong Way about the V12 in which he claims that the wheel adjusts itself to help the rider on incline/decline's if I understood him correctly.

I notice the same on my V8F and so does supecurio on his V10F. InMotion EUCs try to maintain balance and speed, including transitions to uphill or downhill, leaning the rider as needed without any perceptible rider input. Not all EUC's do this. I created a thread about this:

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/24739-tried-v8f-on-a-mild-slope-today

I'm 190 lbs, and I've never experienced foot pain, just fatigued calf and quad muscles. 

As for my learning experience, I watched a few how to ride EUC videos. One of the obvious things was to steer into the fall. Another bit of advice was to learn to ride (actually learn to stop first) using wall assist for mount and launch, then learn to free mount last, so when you do learn free mount, you already know how to ride. My first sessions were at slow speed in a tennis court, using arm flailing | yaw steering (flail left to steer right and vice versa), to maintain balance (steer into fall), and direct the EUC where I wanted it to go. Somehow this worked for me right away and after a few minutes of wall assist ride on a tennis court, I ventured away from the fence and was able to do laps around the tennis court. I didn't feel comfortable with faster speed in the tennis court, so I moved to location with a long (500+ foot) straight, where I could wall assist and launch from either end. At 6 mph or so, my V8F became much more stable, and I focused on speed control by leaning forwards | backwards, and tilt (foot) steering, at first just tilting slightly since I had no clue to how the V8F would respond, which evolved into a mild weave pattern.

It's been 5 weeks and 68 miles on the V8F, and I mostly use tilt steering except at slow speeds, where I yaw steer with just the legs (no more arm flailing), or a combination of both at medium slow speeds.

Edited by rcgldr
  • Like 1