What have you been called?

Tyred

1 hour ago, Nuo Meng said:

ELECTRIC UNICYCLES RULE!

For those of us that don't speak/read Russian, this is how to say it if you sounded it out with English letters:

ELEKTRICESKIE MONOCIKLY PRAVILO!

Electric Unicycles Rule!.jpg

"Elektricheskie monocikly rulyat" is just about right

• Upvote 1

Hey guys i too get the usual questions and had my share of rude reponses while riding my ips 191 xima lhotz but one of most recent was a group of chavs acting rowdy 2 guys 3 girls with one guy trying to damage a flag of a bus stop with the guy doing it stopping and trying to give me the 10k yard stare when i got closer one of the girls shout go take it off him and we'll sell it to which i just laughed seeing as i was travelling around 15mph at the time one of the girls just stared at the wheel confused  but one of the lads obviously had abit more sense and just said 'good luck hes smoking' knowing i was travelling too fast for them to even try but i havent ever seen another euc rider i'm not sure how others here in manchester are received but i regularly seem to draw far too much attention it seemsIMG-20160617-WA0000.jpeg

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, SinisterPrime said:

i havent ever seen another euc rider

I have not seen another EUC rider in my area either. I often encounter people who have never seen or heard of EUCs. Most of the time if I ask such people if they know about hoverboards, they say yes. Even though EUCs have been around for a while now, awareness seems to be advancing slowly.

• Upvote 1

@HEC

4 hours ago, HEC said:

@SinisterPrime Haha - got to love the Mancunian chavs and ASBOs ... Where about in Manchester have you met those little geniuses?

Oh those delightful individuals were in ashton under lyne when i was coming back from the ikea there be lucky if they have the iq of a glass of water between them

16 hours ago, SinisterPrime said:

@HEC

Oh those delightful individuals were in ashton under lyne when i was coming back from the ikea there be lucky if they have the iq of a glass of water between them

Oh - I remember the HUGE traffic jams when IKEA opened there :blink: It's quite nice ride there though ...

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

First camping trip of the year this weekend and even better, first trip with the unicycles!  Could barely ride with the number of people stoping us to ask about them.  It was the most conversation I've ever had with complete strangers, but everyone was great and were so excited. My favorite thing to say to kids is that "I'm from the future", it's perfect :efee6b18f3:

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Maximus said:

My favorite thing to say to kids is that "I'm from the future", it's perfect :efee6b18f3:

Hehe yes.  Another version to try for young kids is "Don't tell anyone, but I'm from the year 2032.  I'm here to save the president and I'm running out of time!"

• Upvote 2

the other day i was practicing on a basketball court at a community center and five or six boys, probably about four or five years old, saw me and ran up, shouting excitedly. they were like, 'how can you do that!? how can you do that!?' so i stopped and turned off the wheel and told them to hold it there. i demonstrated how it would pitch forward and backward with the power off, then turned it on so they could feel how it stabilized. then i told them if they ever rode one that they would have to wear a helmet! they were cute.

a week before that i was riding down my street (hill), wearing my helmet, and some guy shouted something at me, about my helmet/a helmet... i couldn't tell what he said but it sounded like a reprimand, like, something along the lines of 'you'll need more than helmet if you fall off that thing!' haha

Edited by kour
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

Recently one young woman with her friends seemed genuinely interested in the wheel, but approached the interaction in a very brash, rude way by screaming "hey I need one of those! Come back here!  I wanna know what that is!" and as I passed her on the way back she shouted repeatedly again and tried to block my path, even putting her hands out to try to stop me

crazy!

1 hour ago, RooMiniPro said:

Something else I have noticed is that when I wear a backpack I get more respect and my guess is that it's because I look like this is simply my preferred mode of transport, not just a recreational toy.  I'm simply travelling to work to some destination and instead of a car or a bike, I use a more modern piece of tech to get there.  When I'm just riding in a T-shirt and no backpack people assume I'm just out having fun on some gadget, messing around.  So now I wear a small backpack on every planned ride, even if it's empty.

I like that.  Seems like there's always something useful that could be kept too, such as extra clothes, charger, phone etc.  Win, win!

Today I was accosted by a large group of black kids in the 14-16 age who shouted at me and came onto the bike path from their pedestrian path. They almost got me too, and I think this is an exceptionally dangerous situation but my wheel was too fast (lead intercept not lag intercept). I avoid any large groups of young male minorities and this shows exactly why. They will try to knock you off your vehicle and rob you. It will happen and so just prepare yourself mentally for that eventuality. I am as reasonably careful as I can and yet today I had a serious close call that makes my blood run cold.

Dunno about the aggressive young girls that stop you. I've already got a few phone numbers and felt up more than a few but one or two felt sketchy like they weren't mentally all there, or they had very poor impulse control.