V12 teardown and internal construction

RagingGrandpa

10 minutes ago, null said:

Thanks for sharing. Looks nice but also complex.
I'd trade those LEDs and speakers for simplicity.

Theres plenty of simple wheels on the market already. I like seeing something with a little more luxury and more creature comforts. Its not that difficult to figure out what plug goes where to replace a broken part.  I heard the same arguments about suspension "adding to much complexity", which is just crazy imo. Suspension is a total game changer and absolutely worth adding a few more screws to the machine. Its not like the added complexity is adding specialty tools or complex engineering calculus to the maintenance.

Its inevitable that these machines become more and more complex over time. Im still waiting ti see more redundancy built into systems. I want to see a dual board machine, with the ability to swith to a backup control board in the event of damage to the main board. 

• Like 2

Since I come from the motorcycle world this reminds me of an old school air cooled engine design instead of a liquid cooled motor with an active fan on the radiator. 

Personally, I'd rather put up with a little noise from an active fan for our hot California weather. Going off road at slow speeds (especially hill climbs) or with plenty of starts/stops can often heat soak a design like this if you can't get enough air moving across the heat sink. A good active fan design would totally take care of that. It's especially annoying that the heat sink on the V12 will also easily get covered in dirt/mud which will further lessen its effectiveness.

• Like 2

I'm not familiar with the electrical components, but the red,blue, black cables look like they are easy to disconnect with unplugging. Is there any advantage for that simplicity? 

5 hours ago, Waulnut said:

I'm not familiar with the electrical components, but the red,blue, black cables look like they are easy to disconnect with unplugging. Is there any advantage for that simplicity? 

They are supposed to be easy to remove so you can change the tire easier. I have used those those style of bullet connectors in some E-skate builds and they stay in fine, I wouldn't worry about it since those wires should have any forces pulling on them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Silver said:

They are supposed to be easy to remove so you can change the tire easier. I have used those those style of bullet connectors in some E-skate builds and they stay in fine, I wouldn't worry about it since those wires should have any forces pulling on them.

Sounds great 😁

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 11:39 PM, RagingGrandpa said:

Pogo pins... watch batteries... and FETs rated for only 100V ?!

There is not only lack of required margin for fully charged battery voltage, but clearly ringing and turn-off Vds spikes were not taken into account.  Clearly a design flaw. Serious one :(

• Like 3

• 2 months later...