Internal thud when I hit a big bump or drop a curb

Arrt

First of all I want to say this wheel is the best thing ever and I can't believe I let myself wait for as long as I did before buying one. I live on a farm and mostly have done gravel and off road in the two weeks I have had my 18XL. I have gotten pretty comfortable on it but the fed times I have taken big jumps or tried bunny hopping it on a branch or anything I feel an internal thump that feels like something inside dropping down just a moment after I feel the landing. Often this is followed by persistent double beeping but the wheel seems to work and balance fine, I dismount and the beeping continues until I turn off and back on the wheel.  

I bought my XL used and it has a new inner shell, which I assume was because the old one was damaged and I am worried that the batteries weren't secured in place properly and they are bouncing around?

I know I will probably need to open it up and look around but I figured I would ask here first for any general tips.

Thanks so much!

• Like 1

Youll want to open and check, its not hard at all. I would suspect its one of the battery packs. There isnt much in there that is heavy, aside from that.  While you are in there, check hanger bolts and especially the plastic around where they mount. Also check the trolley and lift sensor (just as maintenance) White shells and newer black shells are tougher, but they still arent bulletproof. Im not sure about the beeps. My wheels sometimes have a phantom beep when I hit a bump too hard. It happens to my mten and 18L. Makes me nervous, but I've combed thru them and see nothing amiss. Keep us updated with what you find. The Ks18l/XL is a damn fine wheel. I enjoy it immensely and its definitely worth trying to locate the issue. DO NOT use loctite near those plastics, unless it specifically says its intended for plastic. KS18 shells turn to broken glass if loctite wicks into them at all.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

Wow, thanks so much! I bought the wheel with over 6k miles on in and it was pretty beat up, so I knew it wasn't going to be in perfect condition I am just hesitant to take it apart because I don't want to take it out of commission for the day. If a battery pack is loose do I just double sided tape it in place or are there brackets or something I will need? 

Also, is there any type of waterproofing or preventative things I should do once I have it open?

Thanks!

• Like 1

I apologize that I cant recall how the batteries are kept in place. I do recall that its VERY simple and right there. As for chems, I typically suggest having a tube of basic black RTV just in case. You shouldnt need much tools or chems, just to inspect. It could very well NOT be the batteries, as this is just my initial guess. At any rate, be careful with the cheapo screws and just take a peek. I totally get you about not wanting to open something that works. over 6k miles when you got it. Now THAT is impressive and says something in itself. Also be sure to check pedal hanger bolts.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 10:24 AM, Arrt said:

Wow, thanks so much! I bought the wheel with over 6k miles on in and it was pretty beat up, so I knew it wasn't going to be in perfect condition I am just hesitant to take it apart because I don't want to take it out of commission for the day. If a battery pack is loose do I just double sided tape it in place or are there brackets or something I will need? 

Also, is there any type of waterproofing or preventative things I should do once I have it open?

Thanks!

well, ill tell you from experience that the batteries are normally held in with literally the worlds strongest double sides tape.... i SERIOUSLY doubt that they are moving around, since the shell is pressed right up against them, and they are fit inside their compartment very snugly... im not kidding when i say that the tape is insanely strong, basically permanent.... changing an 18XL inner shell i had to literally break the old shell to get the batteries out for fear of splitting the battery pack, so there is a chance that the guy who did this before did not use the tape again or the foam bumpers, so its not impossible that the battery is moving around, just highly unlikely tape or not.... i have no idea what the sound could be without hearing it.. when you open it, check the pack very carefully to inspect for damage to the blue casing.... if there is any at all, it must be repaired, and go ahead and tape the pack to the shell and make sure that it cant rub anywhere,, you should see little foam bumpers all inside the wheel and those are good to prevent rubbing compromising the battery waterproofing... otherwise, the 18XL is very watertight with the board up top, and rain draining from the holes for the trolley handle and not being able to get inside the rest of the shell... if there is no severe damage, there is no waterproofing needed on an 18XL

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 2

I think you will need to pry open that 18XL and check that everything it's in place and tight.
if you have firmware lower than 2.0 you will need to update your firmware because this will help regarding strange beeps (out of the blue regarding trolley-handle).

Edited by Meserias