Black Cobra badly hurt

Tryptych

Actually, the electronic doesn't need to be redundant.  That's IT in you talking.  :P  

On the other hand, if you ever open one of those EUC, the components used are basically what you would find in home computers that wrap up in hobby grade transistors and connectors.  The design and the technology is sounded.  They just need to a *much* better job in quality control and add overhead on current cooling/current handling capability.  Imagine the kinda electronics that would go into a Tesla.  Same level of testing a Tesla received.  Riding thru 6 inch of water, freezing snow, death valley 120 desert, etc...  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CarlW said:

Is there any gear or riding techniques that could have prevented Black Cobras serious injury?

An airbag vest.

Regular shoulder pads will help to an extent but they just aren't designed to handle this kind of full-body impact. I think the takeaway from this accident is that airbag vests should be part of the standard recommended safety gear. (But at least don't skimp on the shoulder pads.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skeptikos said:

An airbag vest.

Regular shoulder pads will help to an extent but they just aren't designed to handle this kind of full-body impact. I think the takeaway from this accident is that airbag vests should be part of the standard recommended safety gear. (But at least don't skimp on the shoulder pads.)

Nice idea that has been discussed several times on this site over the years. However, it won't protect against the @Rehab1-special impact that I also experienced where you impact the ground with arms outstretched, striking the wristpads (my Flexmeters work very well), then the elbow guards, sending the force up the humerus. I was wearing Leatt elbow guards that deflected much of the impact but did not absorb enough of the force that traveled up my arm and fractured the humeral head. Luckily, I was able to heal slowly over time without surgery.

6 hours ago, Tryptych said:

Having worked in I.T. I can tell you the technology to have electronics operating in a fully  redundant cluster already exists today, in fact it was here years ago. It could be used on wheels.

What works in I.T. is not necessarily easy to transfer to an EUC. The time to kick in and switch over is very short and we are still running on 1 wheel. I can't see how you can handle motor or hall sensor faults.

Now we have more powerful wheels so overload issues could have been in the past if people were not putting power pads on their wheels. If you can't grab it there is only so much force you can apply for speed and braking.

Once a rider know he cannot stop on the spot he or she is like to ride with less aggressive style. I am not saying someone wouldn't take risks but overload or riding beyond the limits of the wheel would probably be frequent.

But I still think many do not bother to understand how an EUC work and what risk you run when not understand and respecting it limits. 

Speed is just one of those things. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scottie888 said:

Not sure if air vests are the answer but if we're gonna do all that, mites well drive a car instead.

Well, it's less bulky than the leatt hydra some people are wearing, and less bulky than some of the gear I've seen ThaBlackCobra wear, while providing much more protection. So IMO it's an easy choice. It's frustrating that it's more expensive than most other safety gear, but it's still cheaper than a trip to the hospital and some sellers offer payment plans to help.

38 minutes ago, litewave said:

Nice idea that has been discussed several times on this site over the years. However, it won't protect against the @Rehab1-special impact that I also experienced where you impact the ground with arms outstretched, striking the wristpads (my Flexmeters work very well), then the elbow guards, sending the force up the humerus. I was wearing Leatt elbow guards that deflected much of the impact but did not absorb enough of the force that traveled up my arm and fractured the humeral head. Luckily, I was able to heal slowly over time without surgery.

Do you have a vague idea about the relative frequency of those two different types of broken shoulders? I'm hoping to stay out of the broken shoulder club and I'm wondering how worried I should be about each of these. I guess they're both kind of common?

8 hours ago, Tryptych said:

You can practice rolling all day but it has ZERO value when it comes to a crash like this. I don't care if you think you're a ninja - you aren't.

When this shit happens you have no choice in how you will land - you're foolish to think otherwise. You'll be INSTANTLY slammed to the concrete, stunned, dazed, and not even be sure what happened. That is the reality - even at 20mph, you're young or inexperienced if you think otherwise. Anyone who has been injured in a serious crash like this knows this is the reality.

This is a perfect opertunity to have a real conversation about why these wheels can't use fully redundant motherboards like  many servers providing us internet service (which you are using at this very moment).

Raising awareness on this subject could be the most positive thing to come out of Erwin's crash. 

Having worked in I.T. I can tell you the technology to have electronics operating in a fully  redundant cluster already exists today, in fact it was here years ago. It could be used on wheels.

It is entirely possible. The (Chinese) manufacturers just don't think it's worth the cost. Do you? What would you pay for a nearly cutout-proof-fully-redundant wheel? Would you pay 25% more? Would you pay 50% more? 

After looking at the screws in Erwin's shoulder, I think I might... 

I think dual control boards is an absolute must. It woyldnt add much weight and the costs are well worth it. Like with an airplane, a mechanical failure ensure catastrophic events. Having a redundant system should be an obvious necessity in the industry.

As for rolling out of a fall, here is my buddy ray rolling out of a fall 

skip to the last minute for his roll out. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CarlW said:

Is there any gear or riding techniques that could have prevented Black Cobras serious injury?  His incident and seeing a new high dollar wheel burn up just riding up a long hill is not inspiring confidence in trying out this new hobby.  What did these riders do wrong if anything?  If you buy the most expensive EUC options and they fail and injure you or burn up just going up a hill is it 100 percent equipment failure from poor design or is it partly operator error?  Go to 11:30 in the video.  This hill does look that steep to me after seeing the inclines the the Wrong Way channel tests EUCs on.

I've been there and it's a steep hill for sure.
I'll go back there (with my 16X) while recording to Strava and make this climb a segment for anyone to check it out.

You're asking a good question tho. The answer for this specific case is that the Veteran Sherman has a known flaw in its implementation of safety and alarms, the reason why Mike is able to predict what will happen ahead of time.

Since its inception, this wheel has been shown to self-destruct in certain scenarios

The reason? It lack the typical safety systems like alarms and tilt-back for any other conditions than speed too high and battery too low.
Other wheels also ring an alarm first, so as rider you know to reduce the power demand, but the Sherman, like Gotway wheels of older generations can consistently burn up going uphill.

Edited by supercurio

1 hour ago, supercurio said:

The reason? It lack the typical safety systems like alarms and tilt-back for any other conditions than speed too high and battery too low.
Other wheels also ring an alarm first, so as rider you know to reduce the power demand, but the Sherman, like Gotway wheels of older generations can consistently burn up going uphill.

Can't just blame lack of alarm though since other wheels can climb the hill without burning up, so something about the components on the motherboard on the Shermy isn't up to par for something like this.

• Like 3

On 5/15/2021 at 11:22 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

I also assumed my experience in hitting and rolling would come in handy. Hell, we used to dive fences and jump off the back of cars, BEFORE the word 'parkour' was even imagined. Back when safety gear was when you aimed for the grass instead of the asphalt. I digress.

I hear ya there, too funny.  I think the effects of the fall are highly dependent on where you ride and obviously speed.  I hate pavement, always have and ride slower on pavement than I do on dirt trails, cause I know the pavement will hurt me more than the dirt ever will, aside from tree/branch impailment.  I think the people who ride these machines anywhere near a car are absolute nuts, its suicidal to me.  At least when I fall in the dirt, I don't get hit by a 2 ton wrecking ball right afterwards.

Edited by Unipsycho
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Unipsycho said:

At least when I fall in the dirt, I don't get hit by a 2 ton wrecking ball right afterwards.

No you don't but you do have the golden opportunity to fall off multi tens of ft drops the way you climb up em dirt hills! LOLz just playing with ya Mike. You're too good unlike me which is why I don't follow you up those nasty stuff.

I do agree that mixing it with multi ton steel behemoths is far from smart. IMO its no coincidence that the 2 confirmed EUC fatalities involves getting run over by them.

6 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

If we fall because of a pure cutout like t. I remember the old thread about spiked pedals being a death trap. Now we are in full commitment mode.

Spiked pedals, foot locks. #saferiding. 

Pads locking the rider down are death traps, especially with spiked pedals.....

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ronin Ryder said:

So true

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Ronin Ryder said:

I've been thinking about that lately & I'm not so sure. I wouldn't mind trying a cycling type clip-on system on the lead foot. In theory at least, that would seem much better than pads & would help loads on landings. It also would negate spike pedals on 1 side at least. Or maybe clip-on 1side & smaller jump pads on the other.

Its an interesting thought experiment.

11 hours ago, Ronin Ryder said:

I think what makes Pads a "Death trap" is the part preventing the foot from moving BACK. I have DIY  jump pads on my wheel but made sure to not have anything at the back of the heels. This along with the Russian Pads for the S18 is a good combo for me and feel I can get a decent lock on my wheel. Even with spiked pedals your feet would be able to detach from the pedals in the case of an unfortunate event.

Edited by 5Cauac

On 5/14/2021 at 10:19 AM, Skeptikos said:

Do you have a vague idea about the relative frequency of those two different types of broken shoulders? I'm hoping to stay out of the broken shoulder club and I'm wondering how worried I should be about each of these. I guess they're both kind of common?

No, not really, but I am certain @Rehab1 does.

17 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

If you can land into a push up from standing then you can survive a fall

I agree 100% on that. I remember seeing the video in which you suggested something to the effect that we should practice falling to a position something akin to a plank. It seems that has evolved to a push up position. Correct me if I'm wrong Mike.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 1:53 AM, GoGeorgeGo said:

I think dual control boards is an absolute must. It woyldnt add much weight and the costs are well worth it. Like with an airplane, a mechanical failure ensure catastrophic events. Having a redundant system should be an obvious necessity in the industry.

As for rolling out of a fall, here is my buddy ray rolling out of a fall 

skip to the last minute for his roll out. 

the only person ive ever seen fall gracefully and look a million dollars doin it!