PIrelli Angel 80/80/14 review on Veteran Sherman

21 minutes ago, enaon said:

The image above does not apply to bike tyres, it is for cars, where all the surface touches the floor, the center groove serves as a water release channel in that image, apples and oranges. Bikes are using the center only, but I guess a test in a rainy day will solve it all. If you don't see water sprayed in front of you, you made it look better :)

I ride at 20psi. Running thru gravel pretty much tells me the tale by the trail left behind. Most of us are riding on a width of tire, not a narrow strip. We even lean over sometimes. Tire companies HAVE done testing on rainy conditions. It would be near impossible for a rider to get a good test, as theres too many variables to isolate in real world activities. Even my ride test on dry conditions, was merely a product of opinion and lots of bias. Definitives would require more testing and controlled conditions, than I'd care to bother. The biggest irony is... I am a 'fair weather euc rider', so its pretty much moot. I wont be doing any high speed hydroplane testing I hope.:roflmao:

I grew up riding in a city/state with no helmet laws and it was wonderful. Sadly, I moved to ap place that enforced it. Tbh, I wore one on the sport bike in the mountains anyhow, as wind noise would diminish my abilities a little bit.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

nice, thanks for the test you have done, the direction is of no importance compared to the benefits of a Pirelli overall, so you are correct, we talked too much about it :)

Edited by enaon
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

If their decision was based merely on 'hydroplane' worries, they would have mounted them both the same direction.

I read or saw somewhere that the rear tire hydroplaning is not generally an issue on a MC, since the front tire has already paved the way and pushed water away. Water isn’t fast enough to pool up again before the rear tire comes along.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Thanks for posting your thoughts! Got this tire from a mate by chance who tried it but had a bad experience. 

I have a Sherman V2 that I've done 7000km on the off road tire. I haven't tried any other street wheel apart from the a mates stock street wheel for a few KMs which got me thinking about street wheels in the first place. I'm not a particularly fast rider and generally stay below 50kph.

I put it on about 2 weeks ago and have done 300km on it so far. I'm about 60/40 commuter / leisure riding. Don't do any off roading and have another wheel coming for that purpose. 

I have to agree with you on your points! I was afraid that having the wider rim might change the behaviour but I'm really enjoying this tire, in particular the maneuverability.

The Sherman feels much more nimble and makes me want to carve all the time. 

The smooth and silent ride is sort of a "a change is a good as a holiday" sort of vibe. I don't know if I prefer it or just enjoy having a different ride. 

Overall I'm very happy with the tire and will be keeping it for the foreseeable future!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Tried to show a picture.... not sure how too.

I just installed the Angel 80/80-14 on my MSX and it fits very well, slightly tighter then the stock 18x3 and about 3/8" shorter. 

Rides nice and has puncture resistance far beyond the factory bycicle tire.