Update 1.3.5 topic ( 1.3.5 Reports of use only please)

Bryan Wells

Please share the following for those of us that have been hesitating for the new update 1.3.5

1. What Ninebot One do you own  (C,C+,E,E+,P)?

2. What firmware did you update FROM?

3. (if known) What Main Board do you have in your bot?

4. how many miles have you put on your 1.3.5 Ninebot since updated?

5. Rider weight?

6. Type of riding?

7. Add any comments. Does it work for you? Did it kill your bot? is it unsafe? any noise? overall opinion. 

Oops!  I just did the same with a Poll.

1.  E+

2. 1.3.1

3.  Unknown

4. 7ish

5. 165lbs

6. Casual/Distance/10MPH Average

7.  Rides much smoother for me.  NO whistle on mine.

UPDATE: Rode about 20 miles yesterday all around San Francisco.  I really like the new update.  Easier to ride on all conditions for me, and still no whistle on mine for some reason.  All the GotWays had whistle, probably like is described here, so I don't think it's a flaw, but rather an effect of motor timing.  I was with 3 other NineBots, and 6 GotWays.  The GotWays out-distanced the NineBots, obviously, but my NineBot with 1.3.5 out-distanced the other 3 NineBots by about 4 miles.  We all rode the same path, so I beleive the Firmware probably had something to do with it.

Also, just for info, we rode UP the backside of Lombard Street and DOWN the Winding side.  Going UP was 22 degrees, and it felt fine, even though I was only 20 percent battery at that point.  By the time I got down the other side, I was back to 30 percent battery due to regeneration.

Just did the update now,

here is what I got

1. E+

3.V1.3

4. 2 miles

5.180lbs

6.Tested in the kitchen lol

7. Here is what I noticed right away, I got a very very high hz electric ring, way way up in pitch (Not loud at all but high pitch, and ONLY at low speed/stop) It almost sounds like if you download that android app "30,000hz" and play the sound the app makes out of your phone. It's almost like like a dog whistle but not nearly as loud. Point is, I can hardly hear it at all, and it doesn't detour me from the update at all.

As far as ride fell goes, I have always rode on the "0" sensitivity setting, so after the update I brought the app back to 0. 

Right away noticed when I shuffle the bot fast forward and back riding it, the snap of the motor was definitely increased. It does feel a little bit like a mechanical snap into forward or reverse,  idk lol hard to explain. but the snappiness is a BIG PLUS

Also when making a sharp u-turn (some of you on 1.3 or older know what I mean) but turning sharp fast makes the ninebot  tilt a few degrees forward and slowly return. Its why when ever you scrape a pedal turning sharp it's almost ALWAYS the front edge of the pedal not the actual side getting scraped up. Anyways the update seemed to really take care of most of this issue and turning sharper feels a lot better when your EU doesn't start leaning forward on you during.

*update* Just did a high speed run outside with full gear on, Everything seems great. I like how the update feels. seems to provide more confidence accelerating, like it's keeping the pedals flatter and not letting them lean forward with me to speed up,(I like this)

so far so good here.

9 hours ago, Bryan Wells said:

Please share the following for those of us that have been hesitating for the new update 1.3.5

1. E+

2. V1.3.0

3. V1.3.1 (recent replacement due to failure from V1.2.9 firmware)

4. 3

5. 75kg

6, Leisurely?  A lot of maxing out speed / straight runs etc.

7. Definitely hear the whistle people have been mentioning.  Early days yet, will try and get out today and over the weekend.

To by honest, I wasn't really up for taking the new software but after meeting with Ian yesterday and trying to overcome a bluetooth connection issue it was one of the steps to take to eliminate all other possibilities - and once upgraded we all know there is no going back - still can't connect to the Ninebot app but not regretting taking the latest firmware just yet :)

1. E+

2. v1.3.0

3. Haven't checked (purchased August '15 from Hoodriderz).

4. ~3-4

5. 90kg

6. Went on a bit of a course to test out the new firmware.  Full speed straightaway until leanback, super-slow, zigzagging between concrete barriers for agility test, hill climb test, drops off of low curbs, rides up/down some speed bumps.  Getting buffeted by strong winds at random times.

7. I hear the whining noise.  It's certainly annoying and unfamiliar.  First thought was "is something going on that is making it less efficient?"  It definitely seems more nimble now, though, and I was able to ride at a very slow speed more easily.  Still, I am going to carefully watch power consumption to see if it behaves differently since that is one of my biggest concerns.

3 hours ago, Bryan Wells said:

*Update*

https://youtu.be/l7BIVf7OC7E

The noise sounds like if you have ever had a decent rc car, and tried to make the car go as slow as absolutly possible, the car will make a tiny electrical humm, it's just like that. Nothing at all to keep one from an update! I'd say go do it!

All I know of those who are not happy with this updated unbearable sound. On your video is well heard here: https://youtu.be/l7BIVf7OC7E?t=216
I have this sound causes a headache. And I'm already imagining it everywhere, even when the wheel is turned off! I hate to ride on the wheel. When I drove up to the people, I think about how I had not been banished with unbearable sound. My colleagues said that they, too, are not pleased to hear this sound.
For me it is a serious problem and I do not know what to do.

6 hours ago, Bryan Wells said:

Your the only one with such a problem with it, just saying. Maybe wait till the next update?

may I alone in the world who go every day on ninebot one p and updated the firmware to 1.3.5 ???

1. E+

2. From 1.2.7

3. No idea

4. 30ish

5. 190lbs / 85kg

6. Commuting mostly.

7. My unit is fine. I do hear a small whine, which annoyed me when I first updated but I hardly notice it now. Wheel feels smoother when accelerating somehow, it's hard to describe.

1. P

2. From 1.3.0

3. don't know.

4. 13km with unbearable sound and gnashing of teeth

5. 60kg.

6. casual

7. Ease of driving has improved, but a terrible sound all the spoils. For me, the firmware 1.3.0 was better. The sound is intolerable not only to me but also to others. He can be heard far away, even if the wheel does not ride. And when the wheel is riding sound 2-3 times stronger. Because of the sound I have a headache and earache. A ride on the wheel was unpleasant.

1. E+

2. 1.3.0

3. ...

4. 3km

5. 250lbs

6. casual

7. Subtle electronic sound.  Slightly different driving characteristics, though I can't say whether they're necessarily better or not.  It's hard to compare when you can't switch back and forth between firmware versions.  I wish that similar to "riding model" we could select the type of motor algorithm (or whatever they call it) to compare and select for our riding needs.

1. C+

2. 1.3.0

3. Unknown

4. 60km

5. 85kg

6. Sportive, going straight full speed, going left right like skiing. 95% on asphalt

So far, so good. Can not hear any noises. It goes smoothly and predictable. 

1. P  N10

2. 1.3.0

3. I'm not sure, it was green I think.

4. 2 miles

5. 155lbs

6. Urban city riding, on off road. 

7. I noticed the bot had a different sound to it as soon as it was on after the update, moving it around the room by hand produced a new set of sounds that were not unpleasant but different. I can also hear the whistle sound when the bot is on ( very quiet but noticable ) it changes as the bot moves faster, I would not consider it a bad thing but not a plus either.

i switched the ride mode to 0 and poked around for new stuff in the app but found no changes, my bot connected better than ever to the app and has a more stable connection overall.

Riding in a gravel lot and steep off road trail to get to the nearest pavement I could feel that the forward and back movement was smoother in acceleration and braking, meaning the pedals are transitioning angle softer yet it feels more responsive overall compared to the previous firmware. 

i get to the pavement and immediately speed up to 14mph and slowed down right away (it got there quicker than usual and no tilt back), it's pretty cold here maybe 10 farenheight with the wind so I did some tight turns both directions and noticed that my toes are dragging on the pavement more than ever before, I hope I can adjust the angle with the recalibration but will have to do some research on that one. I'll have to get more miles in to get used to it before changing anything. 

I will put on the helmet and push it to tilt back soon as we have a sunny day here. Overall I think this update was pretty minor but an improvement by a slim margin.

• 1 month later...
On February 14, 2016 at 1:01 PM, HonestPizza said:

This firmware caused a catastrophic failure resulting in a total unit shutoff. The result: I was thrown from my unit at ~10mph, breaking my collarbone in the process. 

As for the high pitched noise, it's interesting to hear others share the same thing because I had a GoPro attached to my unit during the crash and you can hear the engine rev to a really RPM before shutting off completely.

Like @chriscalandro, I also do not think it was the Firmware.  From what you describe, and from the Video, (I saw it before it came down and it did look painful, sorry), it seems like maybe a hardware failure or user error instead of software.  It did look like there was a fraction of a second of attempted acceleration before it threw you.  You also mention you hear the high revs.  That sounds like the wheel trying to speed up to get under you.  But if the revs happened without the wheel responding, then maybe the motor and frame became disconnected somehow.  In other words, maybe the motor was revving, but not putting the power to the frame to bring it up straight.  This would make the wheel think it was freewheeling and turn itself off.

Nothing I saw, nor your description make me think it was Firmware.  But, I'm not a lawyer, so I guess they will need to figure out what happened.

37 minutes ago, HonestPizza said:

This firmware caused a catastrophic failure resulting in a total unit shutoff. The result: I was thrown from my unit at ~10mph, breaking my collarbone in the process. 

There have plenty of reports of previous versions of the firmware experiencing complete and total shutdowns mid-ride, so it isn't completely unreasonable to assume that such an issue may have carried forward into this firmware. From what I've seen, a lot of people are hesitant to upgrade to this version BECAUSE of the shutdown issues in previous versions. Since there seem to be fewer people upgrading, it only stands to reason that fewer people will be experiencing this issues, with even fewer actually reporting it on sites like this. And, with everything, not everyone is going to have the exact same outcome. There may be people out there who've upgraded and have had zero issues. That doesn't mean that I didn't.

First, sorry you experienced an injury on your Ninebot.

I have to disagree with your logic though.  On one hand you say the issues may carry forward from version to version of the firmware.  And on the other you state fewer people update so fewer will experience issues.  If the issues exist and are being carried forward, the same failure rate will occur in each version whether or not you update your firmware.

Your issue was fairly unique.  And because you don't know exactly what happened, you cannot say with 100% confidence it was the firmware.  You are just correlating it to be this and this can lead to inaccurate conclusions.  Just like if I normally get out of bed on the right side and I have really good days at work but then I happen to get out of bed on the left side and I have a horrible day, I cannot say my day was horrible because I got out of bed on the other side.  

It is good to voice observations and to throw out a hypothesis but you cannot come to any conclusion without a good amount of facts and data to support it.

With that said, I hope you are able to find out the exact cause of your Ninebot incident and share it with us.  I've had two failures on my Ninebots.  The first was after about 50 miles on my E+, the board fried (MOSFETs to be exact).  This was on the 1.2.7 firmware that didn't really have any reported issues that I saw so it was just bad luck.  The second was when I hit a 2" lip on a sidewalk going slow on my P.  The BMS shut down the Ninebot (over-current presumably) and it didn't work again until I physically unplugged and re-plugged the battery back in. 

Archived