App decided it was time to update on its own

ToniG123

I couldn't believe what I just read, I received a notification on my android that it had installed automatically an update to the Ninebot App.

I have been avoiding updates like the plague, given Ninebot's record of botched software updates and now all of the sudden it decides to update without asking !!

And yes, the app is not working anymore. It just opens and closes again with a message "Ninebot has stopped".

God,  i'd whip the hell out of those crappy software developers if I just had the chance...  :angry:

Sorry to hear of your troubles Toni, that doesnt sound right, and if it is, its not good enough.

I havent updated since 1.2.7 and am quite happy with it atm, as you mentioned they have had so many issues with their updates Ive gotten to a point where Im staying with what Ive got unless an amazing and proven update comes through.

Hope you get it sorted

As a soon-to-be-a-ninebot-owner I'm a little confused here. According to the Play Store and the Ninebot website the app version is 3.something but many people have been referring to 1.2.7 and 1.3 and so on. Does the wheel have it's own OS and is it at a different version number? I can't believe the developers have gone from 1.2.7 to 3.something in six months.  Thanks!

@ThatCharlieDude  1.2.7 and 1.3.0 and 1.3.5 are the Firmware versions.  These run on the NineBot.

The APP is currently 3.1.9 on iOS and 3.2.0 on Android NineBot App. and 2.1.9 on Android NineDroid App.  The APPS are what runs on the phones.

@ToniG123  If you are refering to the App on your phone updating automatically, that is set on Android, and not through NineBot.  NineBot has no control over that.  Your phone is set to automatically update apps if that's what happened.  I doubt the Firmware would automatically update on it's own.

@SuperSport I was refering to the app, not the firmware.

Yes, my Android will install updates automatically but I expect the updates to work and not break the app.

Uninstall and reinstall would not get it working.

I had to go into app settings and delete data and cache and it finally started up. Obviously the new version doesn't like some setting from the old version.

I tried updating the Ninebot app on Tuesday and it said I had the latest but yesterday when I uninstalled the app to download it again it came up with a whole new version!  Now running V3.2.0.

Today it's telling me there's another version available so I've taken that, installing while I type - now it says I'm on V3.2.1!

Wonder if I can get the bluetooth working now ;)

3 hours ago, DangerousDick said:

I tried updating the Ninebot app on Tuesday and it said I had the latest but yesterday when I uninstalled the app to download it again it came up with a whole new version!  Now running V3.2.0.

Today it's telling me there's another version available so I've taken that, installing while I type - now it says I'm on V3.2.1!

Wonder if I can get the bluetooth working now ;)

WOW!  Sounds like they are releasing Apps as quickly as Firmware.  That also suggests not enough testing before release.

4 hours ago, ToniG123 said:

@SuperSport I was refering to the app, not the firmware.

Yes, my Android will install updates automatically but I expect the updates to work and not break the app.

Uninstall and reinstall would not get it working.

I had to go into app settings and delete data and cache and it finally started up. Obviously the new version doesn't like some setting from the old version.

I totally agree.  If there was an issue with the cache, the new install should have deleted that info before installing itself.

Archived