Veteran Sherman V2 street tire: Kenda K340 or motorcycle/scooter tire?

supercurio

On 5/3/2021 at 8:28 PM, supercurio said:

Did you order the Pirelli Angel?
90/80 might fit - Denis has this on his EX.N but haven't tested on the Sherman V2 and its wider rim.

80/80 is a safer bet tho.

Hi, does anybody know who Denis is? Denis, do you have a picture of the 90/80 on the EX.N ?   I consider putting this on the EX, but not sure if it will fit. Thanks.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Minimoke said:

Hi, does anybody know who Denis is? Denis, do you have a picture of the 90/80 on the EX.N ?   I consider putting this on the EX, but not sure if it will fit. Thanks.

https://www.facebook.com/dhagov

He's got pics of it in his profile pages... Hopefully he doesnt get too pissed I just called him out. Of course, with a family in camo and neon green lids, I don't think he's trying to remain anonymous. lol

Edited by ShanesPlanet

11 hours ago, DrBytes said:

@ShanesPlanet, does the Pirelli Angel Scooter 80/80-14 43S RF fit the older style rim too?

I have no idea what batch I'm on, got the Sherman in January but I'm pretty sure it' not the wider rim.

I can't say for sure, as I have only mounted mine on the v2 rim. I would like to assume, but then again, I'm not going to. So far its been great on mine, but that doesnt really answer your question for sure. Mine was a front rftl  (reinforced tubeless), tho I used a tube in it. My old rim ran fine with stock dirt tire. It still sits here holding air in the corner. For street and ME, Pirelli all day long.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

I just got back and I've put 50km's on it. but there is a discrepancy in the speedo, it shows higher than actual speed on the lcd.
So tomorrow I'll take it to a nice long stretch, 5km straight pavement and I'll zero the ODO and see what it shows at the end of the 5km.

But then what? Is there a setting I can change on the wheel so that the onboard speedo will be correctly compensating?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DrBytes said:

I just got back and I've put 50km's on it. but there is a discrepancy in the speedo, it shows higher than actual speed on the lcd.
So tomorrow I'll take it to a nice long stretch, 5km straight pavement and I'll zero the ODO and see what it shows at the end of the 5km.

But then what? Is there a setting I can change on the wheel so that the onboard speedo will be correctly compensating?

Being a smaller in diameter tire, it will likely say you are going faster/farther than you truly are. I know in eucw that you can calibrate for speed differences. There isnt such calibration on the wheel itself i dont think. Shouldnt be a big deal, as I doubt the onboard speedo is all that accurate anyhow. Are you rocking a rear tilt of 2? Once I got used to the tilt, the pads and the tire, it really does make a solid combo. If it ever stops raining, I'll see if these nylonove pedals add even more glued in feeling. Pretty wierd how quiet it is, right? Im running the same 20psi I was on the offroader, but find the Pirelli has more meat and feels less prone to rim damage, with a more solid thump on bumps.

Its kind of nice to be able to lean over and not reach a point where the tire just FALLS over, aint it? I agree, it rides like one would expect it should. Smooth and heavy in the turns, but reliable and no surprises. I can actually get mine to dip during emergency braking. Between the custom pads and the tire... I feel VERY safe when it comes to predictable turns and excessive stop/carving.

Im glad you like it! My decision on running it 'backwards' was more for if/when I encounter water and to make it ride quieter. Manufacturer also reccomend we put the tire on the front of the vehicle. Me, I put mine on the middle :) . Not MY theory at all, I don't think that much. It was part of a slew of articles I poured over while cursing Pirelli for putting the arrow on it at all. 30+ yrs of my bikes always faced the same way. I bet its mostly for wear characteristics more than anything. Either way it faces, its still probably VERY similar and I would suspect a person would be hard pressed to even notice a difference. With a tire profile like this, we shouldnt be seeing any chicken strips  after 20 miles!B)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

Currently I have it on hard and PA0. I'd like to get a feel for it and then decide. I can say that I was running medium on PA -1 on the kenda for a while now, thanks in part to the nylonove pedals, there is no slipping off and the -1 on medium allows for some heavy braking because you would just stick your ass back and transfer all your weight over to your heals, under heavy braking I can get the wheel to  almost a PA 0.

But I'll probably change my mind in a week or so. When I was on stock pedals I had PA+2 and medium but on longer rides that would make my feet sore. PA+2 That was out of fear of sliding off when turning.

So yeh, after cruising around some more I can say that this, unsurprisingly, is some quality rubber. It tracks true, it eats unevenness and has a nice cushy feeling when going over cobblestone etc.

It was designed to behave like this; a city scooter tire with nice flanks that can bounce.

That kenda looks like the business but this Pirelli does it much better. I've got another one on order, they're so cheap, I'll stock one just in case.

You can not not carve on this tire, you think it, it does it. With the kenda, you think it and then you deliberately and carefully weighted shift your body and right when you reach the maximum sway of the carve you gingerly but forcefully exit that direction to transfer into the return to center carve. The kenda will lean but it will fall away abruptly -- you can almost always recover but it's not a great feeling.

I weigh 100kg all geared up and have it on 25psi.

@ShanesPlanet Get the Nylonove pedals. You won't be able to easily shift your foot but with a bit of practice I've mastered it. They lock you in and will chew up the soles of your shoes --and that's good, shoes cost nothing.

1 hour ago, DrBytes said:

@ShanesPlanet Get the Nylonove pedals. You won't be able to easily shift your foot but with a bit of practice I've mastered it. They lock you in and will chew up the soles of your shoes --and that's good, shoes cost nothing.

It only took 6 months, but I finally got a set. They seem to be an improvement, but its been raining since I got them. I did an unbox/review of them, but it was so bad I couldnt get myself to watch it enough to even edit it.  It IS nice to be able to flip around without pedal scrapes! I like pa2 (negatvie tilt). It took a bit of muscle conditioning to work my way from 1 to 2, but well worth it. I find it helps me stay on the pedals during bumps at speed. My only braking issue now, is that I brake hard enough to endanger overlean. Years of power slides on skateboards ftw!

DSC_1753.jpg

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

It only took 6 months, but I finally got a set.

Glad to hear they finally arrived for you, after such a long wait. I'm sure you will love the added grip, real estate and adjustability factor too once you get some more miles on them!

Edited by fbhb

2 hours ago, DrBytes said:

Send help.

You are WAAY to deep now for me to send anyone that could possibly help you. Glad you like the tire! Im running hard mode at pa2, tho I like pa0 for long downhill climbs. Adjusting pa tilt is like readjusting my pads, w/o having to pull em loose. Very nice! I now run -2deg on my 18xl too. It does wear you out a little more, but conditioning fixes that right up.

See we're a week later and I've adapted to the PA2 for casual riding on this tire, it feels alright. -PA's are now almost too close to ground, there could be clearance issues for my toes.

That has me wondering, @ShanesPlanet, would the 80/90 fit too? It should give back some of the clearance.

15 minutes ago, DrBytes said:

See we're a week later and I've adapted to the PA2 for casual riding on this tire, it feels alright. -PA's are now almost too close to ground, there could be clearance issues for my toes.

That has me wondering, @ShanesPlanet, would the 80/90 fit too? It should give back some of the clearance.

The tire clearance issue on the Sherm was mostly width. I measured around 83-85mm. with the 80/80/14, the width looks just about right, but its also a hair shorter than the stock off-road. This leads me to think that perhaps.. YES, an 80/90/14 would fit, as its merely taller not wider. I think I lost a tiny bit of clearance(80/80/14). However, it wasnt enough to make me notice it. Honestly, the profile of the tire seemed to mitigate the height issue when turning a little. With my new pedals, its even less an issue. I do think the low pedal is something I'll kind of get used to over time.

Tilting pedals forward was horrid when I tried it. Not only did it reduce toe clearance to concrete during pedal dips, it made bouncing forwards on the pedals, more noticeable. Its all preference, but I still run pa2 unless going down long steep hills.

Edited by ShanesPlanet