New York Times article confuses electric unicycles with hoverboards

BecauseFun

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/30/nyregion/new-yorkofficials-seek-to-legalize-hoverboards.html

There is a picture in this article of a guy riding a ninebot/clone and there is no distinction in the caption made between Electric unicycles and hoverboards

I've called and written the New York Times to make the correction, but I have no idea if one person contacting them will make a difference. I am hoping that there are enough other users here who would also not want their euc to be grouped with, and perhaps one day be subject to the same legisulation as, hoverboards. 

I think the incorrect picture in the article above is bad enough, but when you load the front page of The New York Times, in the right-hand column is a section called watching and underneath the picture of that guy riding the ninebot/clone with the quote underneath from New York City Police Commissioner Benjamin Bratton, 

“To be quite frank with you, I think anybody who rides these things is out of their minds"

Later in the article there is talk of a crackdown. 

"Since hoverboards started to appear in the city, police officers have issued summonses to some offenders caught using them. Mr. Bratton said the devices were inappropriate for the city."

I believe that eucs are not only appropriate for this New York City and anywhere, they need to be an important part in changing the way the world commutes. Or at least that option should be there for people intelligent enough to make that choice for themselves, rather than having eucs be subjected to the same restrictive rules if not outright bans on hoverboards, which are clearly a very different animal. 

Self balancing technology is very familiar to us, but to 95% of the general public, if they see a picture of an electric unicycle and it is essentially called a hoverboard in an article by the New York Times, then they will assume eucs are hoverboards, which they are NOT. 

While in this article they do mention someone riding an electric unicycle who got a $138 fine, ( bad news, but at least they do make a euc distinction) it is easy to see how someone could mistake Electric unicycles for hoverboards because the article's photo is not correctly captioned.

Please join me  in contacting the New York Times so they will correct this error. 

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/corrections/index.html

(The Times welcomes comments and suggestions, or complaints about errors that warrant correction. Messages on news coverage can be e-mailed to nytnews@nytimes.com or left toll-free at 1-844-NYT-NEWS (1-844-698-6397). Comments on editorials may be e-mailed to letters@nytimes.com or faxed to (212) 556-3622.)

Screenshot_2015-12-30-09-05-45.png

how would this correction be made? They woukd remove the photo from the internet sources? Or issue another article explaining there was a mistake? I d be careful and maybe let the sleeping dog lie? The harm has been done already - they cant unprint the paper. Touching this subject may bring in more attention and associate the unicycles with the hoverboards even more in peoples minds...lets make sure we dont do more harm by correcting this.  I could be wrong as i dont know how these corrections are actually made...

1 minute ago, dpong said:

Ha.  The New York Police Commissioner thinks I'm out of my mind.  You can't buy street creds like this!  B)

I am sure they thought the people who rode the first bike were out of their minds too

@Cloud For the printed paper they usually note the correction in a small article inside a future issue. For the online version they could do the same thing or actually fix it. 

The article has been fixed: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/30/nyregion/new-yorkofficials-seek-to-legalize-hoverboards.html?ref=corrections&_r=0

Look at the caption now....

The article states EUCs are banned in NYC, is this true?

I think they are but may be a gray area. Some coos told me they are. I think everything electric except cars is illegal in nyc. But some people believe unicycles are not. I didnt really study the law but there was a detailed thread on the forum about it recently

2 minutes ago, Cloud said:

I think they are but may be a gray area. Some coos told me they are. I think everything electric except cars is illegal in nyc. But some people believe unicycles are not. I didnt really study the law but there was a detailed thread on the forum about it recently

The article mentions they're banned since they are motorized vehicles that can't be registered. New York State Sen. Jose Peralta is introducing a law to reclassify them: http://fortune.com/2015/12/30/new-york-hoverboard-ban/

Don't know why they're worried about registering them unless they're worried about accidents or hit and runs. Though I don't know why the city couldn't treat them like a bike?

Looks like it's corrected:

Quote:

Correction: December 30, 2015

A picture caption with an earlier version of this article misidentified the device being demonstrated by Doaine Thompson, 32. While, like the hoverboard, the use of the device shown is banned in New York City, it is an electric unicycle, not a hoverboard.

20 minutes ago, ThatCharlieDude said:

Don't know why they're worried about registering them unless they're worried about accidents or hit and runs. Though I don't know why the city couldn't treat them like a bike?

In general they want to be able to identify you if you are using a vehicle. For example you can do something illegal and escape using an electric vehicle. They want to be able to find you by your registration number....

Archived