Fastest Human(s) on a One-Wheeled Vehicle

andrew900nyc

EUC's keep getting faster and faster.

Out there in the world exist the person (or possibly persons) who is/are the fastest homo sapien(s) on a one-wheeled vehicle. I don't know of any one-wheeled vehicle that's faster than an EUC, so I assume that the fastest human on a one-wheeled vehicle is a person riding an electric unicycle. Obviously wheelies on motorcycles wouldn't count.

So with this being said, I'd like to know who the fastest EUC riders are in terms of (1) absolute top speed (hit this speed for even a fraction of a second and you get this record) and (2) sustained speed.

Sustained speed can be any given period of time that we think is reasonable and sufficient. My vote for sustained speed would probably be about five seconds, but it could be 20 seconds or even a minute. I'd be interested in finding out what the consensus is for a sustained speed record.

I see YouTuber's cruising at 40mph - 45mph like it's nothing. So who are the elite speed demons of our sport that are living on the edge and pushing the limits? Who is the fastest human being on an electric unicycle? If it's a tie, then who are the fastest people on EUC's? This is the thread I hope people will utilize to post your speed records and keep track of the fastest riders in our sport. If such a thread already exists, sorry for wasting your time and please post a link so that I can check it out. If not, let's get this going!

Of course, riders will need to prove that they legitimately achieved the speed they are claiming. I suppose there are numerous ways that could be done. Let's come to a consensus on what the acceptable proof of achieved speeds are and make that part of the rules for claiming a record or even just a fast speed (that's not a record). So who's in the 45+ mph club? Let's find out!

Lastly, I am not encouraging anyone to expose themselves to the risk of going real fast on an electric unicycle. I simply recognize that, like nearly all motorsports, there are those riders/drivers who enjoy pushing the limits and going as fast as they can. I respect these people and I personally believe they deserve some recognition. Hence this post.

• Like 2

46mph (75kmh) here so far. I hope to make that more respectable for a moment or two before a faceplant. I   I havent tried to REALLY push it yet, roads arent straight out here. I should probably wear some gear next time :wacko: I am not anywhere near the fastest. Eucw tracks some of this stuff with 'rankings' on the main website page, tho some people frown upon it.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

46mph (75kmh) here so far.

Not the fastest, but still quite impressive! 

33 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Eucw tracks some of this stuff with 'rankings' on the main website page

Thanks for letting me know about that. I haven't checked out that app yet, but I will. From a quick glance at their website, I'm seeing mycior as the fastest in the last 365 days with a top speed of 69.4 km/h. In addition to @ShanesPlanet, I'm pretty sure several other riders have exceeded that speed, so it doesn't seem like eucw is truly documenting the fastest riders. 

Also I just noticed that eucw is tracking "highest average riding speed of a single tour", which is different than absolute fastest or fastest sustained speed (for a defined time frame).

•  

Edited by andrew900nyc

20 minutes ago, andrew900nyc said:

it doesn't seem like eucw is truly documenting the fastest riders.

True, it only records the data when you choose to use it. I'd imagine the fastest is whatever the fastest wheel out there can go. @U-Stride seems to enjoy moving along at a decent speed at times... I bet a 'poll' of speed selections would gleam you some interesting results. I do think theres a thread here that does have a poll of age and typical speed we prefer. It was quite shocking how few speed demons there are, in compare to the whole.. Probably a good thing.

I use google, as the search engine here is rough.

Chooch, Kuji, U-stride, Tishawn, Vee, ShanesPlanet, Evx, Hsiang... so many channels and so little time! Dont forget isthereanyfood and gogeorgego!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

I don't have much time to spend on the forums or watching YouTube, but in the limited time I do have I quickly came across YouTuber "Wrong Way!" who leisurely cruises his Sherman at 70 kph and of course, Chooch Tech, who is the main speed demon I watch. I'd definitely be interested in knowing who the other fast riders are and if they have YouTube channels.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I use google, as the search engine here is rough.

Chooch, Kuji, U-stride, Tishawn, Vee, ShanesPlanet, Evx, Hsiang... so many channels and so little time! Dont forget isthereanyfood and gogeorgego!

Thanks for the recommendations! I've seen Kuji, Hsiang and Tishawn. I don't think I've seen Evx, Vee, isthereanyfood or gogeorgego, but I look forward to seeing some of their videos. You also have a YouTube page, @ShanesPlanet?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, andrew900nyc said:

You also have a YouTube page, @ShanesPlanet

he does, and I enjoy it immensely. but for my sake please don't subscribe. It's one of the few fun channels that's not constantly interrupted by commercials.

(do subscribe, pay no attention to me, I shall smile when a VRBO commercial appears. Really)

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

I'll never get top speed on a self balancing device. I weigh as much as an elephant. I calibrated my eucworld for true speed. I spent about 20 minutes running through an auto speed tracker for cars. I also checked that speed tracker with gps. I can hit about 30mph on my RS C30 before the wobbles kick in. I'm hoping to gain more speed. I only have 560 miles on the RS. On my recumbent bicycle going down hill I've come shy of 60mph, on flat ground I can maintain upper 20's mph.

• Like 3

Keeping a fast average riding speed is pretty tricky in many parts of the uk. I think this ride I shot is one of my quickest, high 30's for most of it, although the vid is only a 4min clip. We rinsed the msx batts pretty quick for sure. What struck me more was that I deliberately kept really tight to my buddy (closer than I normally would) to make a good vid but the GoPro still makes it look like we are some distance apart!

• Like 2

Watching someone carve at 40mph on an EUC is just a thing of beauty, pushing top speeds definitely isn't for me but I like watching people do it.  I like watching "wrong way", he's a solid rider.  I'm proud to be in the 30mph club:)

Edited by RetroThruster
  • Like 2

On 5/2/2021 at 2:10 AM, Unipilot69 said:

I can hit about 30mph on my RS C30 before the wobbles kick in. I'm hoping to gain more speed. I only have 560 miles on the RS. On my recumbent bicycle going down hill I've come shy of 60mph, on flat ground I can maintain upper 20's mph.

30mph is a very respectable speed on an EUC, in my opinion. I'm sure you will get faster and faster. It's amazing how it occurs. When I first started out, I just couldn't fully comprehend how anyone could go 40+ mph standing on a wheel! At first 20 kph seemed pretty quick, then before I knew it I was in the 30's. then 40's and now I could see hitting the 50's, but since I haven't started gearing up yet, I try to limit how fast I go and how often I go fast. At some point I'd like to gear up at a good location and see if I could manage sustained cruising in the 50's. (Unless I specifically mention mph, all my speeds are kph.)

I just bought a recumbent and have been really enjoying riding it. Nearly 60 mph on a recumbent seems wildly fast! Especially if your steering is under your legs like on my recumbent! That and maintaining upper 20's mph on flat ground is awesome! Very impressive!

Edited by andrew900nyc

10 hours ago, Planemo said:

Keeping a fast average riding speed is pretty tricky in many parts of the uk. I think this ride I shot is one of my quickest, high 30's for most of it

Fantastic ride! High 30's kph or mph? While I am interested in fast average riding speeds, this thread is intended to be specifically about highest speed achieved (if even for only a second) and highest sustained speed of at least five seconds (or more... I'm open to any consensus on how long "sustained" should be, but I think 5 seconds would be the minimum and one minute would likely be the maximum. It's all good though! Looks like you've got nice skills and great places to ride! Thanks for sharing that video.

On 4/29/2021 at 8:38 PM, andrew900nyc said:

Out there in the world exist the person (or possibly persons) who is/are the fastest homo sapien(s) on a one-wheeled vehicle. I don't know of any one-wheeled vehicle that's faster than an EUC, so I assume that the fastest human on a one-wheeled vehicle is a person riding an electric unicycle.

You forget (or maybe you've never heard of) the awesomeness that is the Monowheel! Google McLean V8 Monocycle, thing is pretty badass. Monowheels have been around for a good little while now, though they're more of an oddity than anything.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, EUCRexy said:

You forget (or maybe you've never heard of) the awesomeness that is the Monowheel! Google McLean V8 Monocycle, thing is pretty badass. Monowheels have been around for a good little while now, though they're more of an oddity than anything.

A few people seem to have missed that detail as well. Same with innos claims of first adjustable pedals :blink1:. Guiness book has it at 61mph or something. I was quite unimpressed really, as it takes a 200cc gas engine to do it. Looks WAY unsafe to me. Kind of amazing that we are nearing that in production model units with batteries nowadays. I think the 'fastest' riders are probably nearly tied in speed. It seems the wheels are the limiting factor. Until we see someone mod a wheel or a 50lb kid tries it, I'd bet variances will be minor and pretty brand specific.

• Like 2

Ill chime in since i see my name mentioned, bit im not even in the conversation. I topped out the v11 at "35" mph once or twice but its only a real world 32 or 33 i think. 

The exn is still fairly new to me but i topped it at 37 mph so far, fast enough for me lol. Im certainly not a speed demon by any means. I thought i hit 40+ for sure doing 37, no interest in going faster than that.

I do like weavy windy racing speed runs though, looking forward to cobras next wheel life rally to see how i fair. I have no interest in straight line speed though im in no rush 🤣

My app average ride speed is generally around 15 mph. My average road riding speed is 30 mph on the exn and probably 25ish on the v11. There is a very noticeable difference between 30 and 35 mph, i rarely venture over 35 and dont really want to. 

Edited by GoGeorgeGo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Planemo said:

Mph, but apologies, I wont crap on the thread anymore :)

30's mph is pretty fast. I'm fairy sure I hit the low 50's kph briefly, but I'm not at the point where I'm cruising at speeds that high yet.

No problem with the topic moving a bit off my intended track, so no apologies necessary. I don't consider that crapping on my thread. I just wanted to try to be cautious that it wouldn't go completely off on a tangent. But thanks! 

Edited by andrew900nyc

4 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Guiness book has it at 61mph

In that case, I think the real milestone to accomplish will be first human to exceed 61mph and bring the land speed record on a one-wheeled vehicle over to EUC's.

Who's it going to be? And when is it going to happen?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

There is a very noticeable difference between 30 and 35 mph

I’m noticing that cruising 30 to 35mph is a sweet spot for the ex.n, however it’s difficult to cruise between 35 to 40 mph on that wheel. (So far)

• Like 2