Overcoming Nasty Hills

Xthrax

I live on overheat-hill's extended family. The variety ranges from easy to deadly. These hilly roads can be a quarter mile up or down but going up and down (mostly down) seem to very hard. I thought about this a lot and I think the reason why its so hard to control speed balance and doge traffic and pot holes is because I am ether on my toes when going up or on the balls of feet(heal) when going down.

So here is what I thought of. I have a gotway MCM5 what I am doing is recalibrating the wheel to lean about 5-10% forwards or backwards before encountering massive hills. It seems to defiantly help because I can keep my feet firmly planted and I can stand completely upright making balancing a lot easier.

Do you guys have similar situation and if you do, what techniques do you use to help the ride.

nAEwZ42.png

It's good to experiment because everyone is different, but I'd do tilt adjustments in 1-2° increments. You might be a good candidate for power pads, they give you something to lean into and back against.

• Like 1

I have an MCM5-V2 and have a super steep driveway that's really long, since the MCM is a small wheel it's sort of hard to squeeze with the legs for any length of time, I'd try some power pads like Tawpie said.  I bet an mcm5 with power pads would be a hoot! 

3 hours ago, RetroThruster said:

I have an MCM5-V2 and have a super steep driveway that's really long, since the MCM is a small wheel it's sort of hard to squeeze with the legs for any length of time, I'd try some power pads like Tawpie said.  I bet an mcm5 with power pads would be a hoot! 

I was thinking about that the other day too. I think the MCM5 feels kind of wobbly and unstable because your legs dont really press against. Power pads might help. I get some next month.

On 4/28/2021 at 2:27 PM, Xthrax said:

nAEwZ42.png

Ok so I did the hill number 2, second from the left, with the tilt adjustment and it was WAY better going down. I think the biggest issue I had going down before was naturally its easier for humans to lean forward then backwards due to how our feet are. So you end up trying to balance the wheel while mostly on your heals.

I am going to try the same technique tomorrow on hill 3 up and down and we will see how things work out.

also, instead of just 'leaning backwards', try to assume more of a s***ting position... keep your back straight and stick your butt out like you are, well, sitting. Yeah, that's it. Sitting.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

also, instead of just 'leaning backwards', try to assume more of a s***ting position... keep your back straight and stick your butt out like you are, well, sitting. Yeah, that's it. Sitting.

Yeah I tried sitting but I always end up my heals. I cant over state how steep these roads can be. One day ill make a video and post it.