Hoverboard instantly shuts off

edgimeno

Hi there! I have a generic brand balance board that shuts itself off arter 1-2 mins of riding.

I checked battery, it is 100% charged (close to 42v). Also I tried with a different battery from a tested working hoverboard, same effect.

Then I suspected of deffective motors, so I checked resistance between pairs (seems like it happened more often while "abusing" on one side) and all coil pairs checked same resistance

So I went ahead and transplanted all 3 boards (2xgyro + 1x main) from another compatible hoverboard. Surprisingly....same effect

Just to add to the effect, you just turn it on, lights are normal, step on one side, get a beep+light, step on the other side, and start driving back and forth. After swinging 10-15 times, without any previous warning (no low bat lights or beeping), it suddenly turns inmediatly off, throwing you off. Then it takes some minutes until it lets you turn it back on again. Then you test voltage and it reads fully charged again! Weird huh?

Well yeah I guess that all I remains from the old hoverboard, now that I have swapped battery, gyros, and main, are the motors in the wheels. But my problem is that this is a like rugged-up hoverboard, with air wheels and I don't think I can do just a straight up swapping. What can I test in the wheels?

Thank you

3 minutes ago, edgimeno said:

After swinging 10-15 times, without any previous warning (no low bat lights or beeping), it suddenly turns inmediatly off, throwing you off. Then it takes some minutes until it lets you turn it back on again. Then you test voltage and it reads fully charged again! Weird huh?

Maybe overtemperature shutoff? Swinging is a very high burden for the board!

With "normal" riding no problems/shutoff occur?

Just now, Chriull said:

Maybe overtemperature shutoff? Swinging is a very high burden for the board!

With "normal" riding no problems/shutoff occur?

Thanks for your interest. No, it happens the same while ridig stright, I mean swinging because lately all tests Im doing are inside my house and I don't have much space so I just swing back&forth, but yes originally this error happened too while riding normally. Yes I kind of see something related to some heating but I don't see where and why

5 minutes ago, edgimeno said:

but yes originally this error happened too while riding normally.

At higher burdens like longer inclines or out "of nowhere" 

5 minutes ago, edgimeno said:

Yes I kind of see something related to some heating but I don't see where and why

I have no experience with hoverboards - with normal eucs temperature is measured from some ic on the mainboard (gyro?) and by this just the compartment temprrature.

Some, more sophisticated eucs have specific temperature sensors near the mosfets and ?even within the motor?

6 minutes ago, Chriull said:

At higher burdens like longer inclines or out "of nowhere" 

I have no experience with hoverboards - with normal eucs temperature is measured from some ic on the mainboard (gyro?) and by this just the compartment temprrature.

Some, more sophisticated eucs have specific temperature sensors near the mosfets and ?even within the motor?

Yes I will probably have to ride it with all the covers off and touch-sense all the transistors right after it fails and see if anything is hot in the board

I tried to ride it until it shits off with all the covers out. I ran directly to make some tests:

1) Output transistors had no overtemp at all, I tested them all with a non-contact thermometer and also manually and nothing in the board seemed to have any excessive heat

2) Battery., Like I said, when this happens, it won't turn on again within next X minutes. I checked main Voltage and it read 19v (on a 42v battery) meaning the internal BMS in the battery had shut down due to ....what ever overcurrent. But like I said first thing I had already tried in this hoverboard was swapping battery with a working unit and got same effect.

3) I disassembled both wheels and found nothing suspicious. Coil wires were clean and tight, no loose magnets, no marks or traces of anything rubbing, no loose parts, etc...

At this point Im absolutely lost!!!! :)

• 1 year later...

Did you ever solve this problem. My daughters evercross offroad hoverboard is doing the same thing - 10-15 seconds of riding then it just shuts down with no warning. Was advised to do a recalibration, but that didnt do anything. Any help greatly appreciated.