My new EX....

Guy

Hey wheel riders. I got my EX last Wednesday. Holy Shit! What a heavy box to get up the stairs to my house. Anyway, I set the tire and suspension pressure, put the pads on and rode. At first, I hated this wheel. Not its weight though. Hard to ride. Then, after I got to a place of desperation, I removed the pads and rode the wheel virgin. Clean. What a difference. It was like a monster Nik+. I like the EX now. I weigh 165#, and with the tire pressure at 30 psi and suspension pressure at 6 mpa, the ride is nice. I can still carve the shit out of an almost 90# wheel. I guess I'm not a "pads" rider. I crank this wheel around like I did my 65# Nik+. Left foot forward and right foot back. Works great for me. Left foot to power on and right foot for heavy braking. I push HARD! Lots of heel in the stops! Anyway, I like smooth, fast, carving rides. Long rides. Immense fun! I do have to work on mounting this wheel with its WAY high pedals. Still waiting on the seat. Peace fellow wheel riders.... From Maine....

I just want to add, after mounting the EX for a while, I will probably step on the top of my V8 when I try to ride it! Oh Sith! Then, of course, fall..... ;)

Edited by Guy
  • Like 3

I keep mine really loose. I printed some from @NickNonsensefiles from thingiverse. I printed the split version. I have giant feet and don't like the feeling of having my legs tightly locked in. I need the pads to jump up curbs on my last mile commute. I can't pinch a 60 pound wheel and flick it up a curb. The sidewalk and street are very busy most of the time I have to go to work. I usually stay on the sidewalk but I have the option to jump in the street for brief moments to avoid the cluster of dumbass sidewalk hogs. When I go to work I'm against the flow of traffic.

Edited by Unipilot69

Congratulations on the new wheel Guy. It's been interesting to see the progression of wheels you decided to go with (V8 > Nik > EX) . I'm very excited to see that you got the EX. Hope to see you out there again sometime. 
It's been a while since I met you out in Portland while I was riding my 16x and you were on the Inmotion. Since then I upgraded to the MSP and now I also have an RS to complement it. MSP for the off-road and RS for the road. 

I just taught my Uncle to ride the other day and after 10 minutes, he already want's one. He lives on the marsh in Scarborough so maybe you'll have someone else in the neighborhood to ride with.

Congratulations!

When I got my EX I went back and forth for a while, for a while it looked like it was going to lose out to the RS as my daily wheel. Then I got comfortable and now it is my favorite wheel by a country mile. I only use the RS when I need to tow something. I'm 240+ riding weight so it's no problem for me to push it around -- no power pads for me other. And it's not just for street riding, we've been doing some fairly hardcore single track mountain bike trails the last few weeks and it's been great. The torque and the suspension work together perfectly to get over pretty substantial tree roots and rocks and what not, pull me up super-steep hills, and take a lot of the roughness out of the terrain.

My only upgrade was to larger, studded pedals, which is the first time I've upgraded my daily wheel. I can't imagine trying to ride it with the comparatively tiny pedals that come stock.