Sherman Impressions, compared to RS and Z10

shellac

I second the "Sherman lite" idea, I also would appreciate wider pedals, I'm not a pedal scraper but I believe mine (burnt smell batch) has the higher pedals.  I have some of Shane's power pads, they're really thin in the center so they don't make the wheel much wider and the power levers are far enough apart to keep you from feeling locked in all the time.  Anxious to hear your thoughts as the miles increase.   

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RetroThruster said:

I second the "Sherman lite" idea, I also would appreciate wider pedals, I'm not a pedal scraper but I believe mine (burnt smell batch) has the higher pedals.  I have some of Shane's power pads, they're really thin in the center so they don't make the wheel much wider and the power levers are far enough apart to keep you from feeling locked in all the time.  Anxious to hear your thoughts as the miles increase.   

Does @ShanesPlanet sell those pads?

I’ll do an update at some point, I’m still sub 100 miles on the Sherman. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Yeah, I've heard claims that soft mode has been "hardened", but it's hard to judge from these comments, as I know most riders do not catch the nuances of good soft mode, as they don't have the soft mode technique in their muscle memory.

Yeah I thought it could be a firmware difference but it’s certainly possible that the soft mode is better on the Sherman and I’m not picking up on a nuanced difference. 

Thanks for the thorough description of your riding method. I think that’s one of the most detailed accounts I’ve read. Certainly if you do make a video for this, I think it’ll be a popular one. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, shellac said:

Yeah I thought it could be a firmware difference but it’s certainly possible that the soft mode is better on the Sherman and I’m not picking up on a nuanced difference. 

Thanks for the thorough description of your riding method. I think that’s one of the most detailed accounts I’ve read. Certainly if you do make a video for this, I think it’ll be a popular one. 

I have the second fw version, as the first batch had serious pedal dip. I can feel a difference in soft vs hard mode for sure. I keep mine in medium mode now, but with the original fw, medium was still a lot of dip. Nowadays, I find medium to be quite soft but manageable. Soft mode still swings a little much for my tastes. I highly doubt the fw version I'm running is the newest out tho.

As for stopping.... I find I can stop the sherm surprisingly fast. The pads DO make quite a difference. I don't really use them much(always mounted tho), but its undeniable that the leverage and security you get at the far end of the wheel, keeps you on it while allowing more braking. I can almost stop as quickly on the padless 18L, but i have to squeeze like hell and I've damn near fell of the back more than once. With a padded sherm, you can lean back hard like a power slide on a skateboard, and the wheel stops. Oddly, I cant accellerate with the same force, but tis still more than if I were padless. As mentioned, the sherm aint bad to ride padless, tho I found that top edge to be a little mean on bird legs at times. The 10mm of epdm at center pad, seems to help with that comfort complaint of mine. Overall, the pads are 35mm thick at the caps, but pretty wide to keep you from feeling locked in. Jumping from the wheel in a hurry, seems to be a habit of mine..B)

I designed pads for my own personal use, but I can make a few more sets upon request. Plenty of pads to choose from and plenty of people making them. I'm sure mine arent the worst or the best you could find. They are black, so they at least match.. :)   For us 'mten riders association' members, I toss in charge caps and stickers with shirt or pad orders. Free shit... can't beat that!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, shellac said:

I typically go through about 3 phases with a new wheel. There is an initial disappointment phase where I'm noticing some shortcomings and not riding it as confidently as the wheel I was just coming from. There is a second phase where I'm thinking that hey, this wheel is pretty cool. Then a third phase where I really like the wheel and think its the best. So maybe I'm in early second phase on this wheel.

This is an excellent observation. I wish more people were this self aware when reviewing!

On 4/25/2021 at 10:24 AM, shellac said:

I think my ideal wheel would ride like the RS but have the build quality of the Sherman, and that doesn't exist. Begode get your shit together. Veteran, maybe make a Sherman lite.

Very well said, hopefully someone out there is listening. 

I totally relate to your phases.  It's so easy to get so hyped up for a big new purchase like this that there's no way it will live up to your expectations.  Then the buyer's remorse sets in a little bit.  Then the pendulum swings back again and you start to enjoy it for what it is, not what you hyped it up to be.

Thanks for posting this, it's a big help for me and I'm sure plenty of others that are out there weighing their options for their next wheel.