Stiff neck after first long ride?

DocPablo

I've been riding for about a week and the bulk of my safety gear came in yesterday so I felt a little bit more comfortable going on a longer ride. I think I probably ended up doing around 3 hours worth, with maybe three or four 5-minute breaks sprinkled throughout. I literally did not want to get off my EUC. I had a blast.

About 30 minutes after I got home I noticed a pretty stick neck with moderate pain when I looked up. It has gotten a bit better with a night of sleep and some pain relievers but it's still pretty noticeable. I didn't crash or anything, most of my day was just leisurely riding and getting more comfortable on my wheel. Has anyone else experienced something like this when they were first starting out? I'm not looking for medical advice or anything, just curious to see if this was common. I imagine my body is not fully accustomed to the body mechanics necessary for riding and the sore neck is a byproduct of that.

Probably gonna take it easy and not ride today, my only regret being that I got a sore neck on a beautiful day for wheelin'.

• Like 1

Since you're still pretty new, I'm guessing a couple of things happened... your were a bit tense, and in general your muscles are still getting in shape. Mostly I'd bet it's tension, and it'll quit happening as your confidence increases. 3 hours is a pretty long ride, way to go!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

Since you're still pretty new, I'm guessing a couple of things happened... your were a bit tense, and in general your muscles are still getting in shape. Mostly I'd bet it's tension, and it'll quit happening as your confidence increases. 3 hours is a pretty long ride, way to go!

Ok good to know, I'm guessing this is what is going on as well. Thanks for the encouragement! 

3 hour ride!! Wow, thats quite a feat. Icant say my neck has ever bothered me, but my feet/hips/knees and lower back have. I doubt its from looking back too much, as thats a tough thing to do as a new rider. My guess is just as @Tawpie and @RockyTop . Tension caused it. Amazingly enough, the rest of you must be in great shape, as you arent complaining of those. Was it cold? I find i get ahces on my motorcycle when I ride too long in the cold. That ache is typically in the neck and shoulders. At any rate, grats on a VERY long ride. Mine are typically way shorter as I seem to flatten batteries pretty quickly. . Do your best to ride a little bit thru the soreness. You're the Doc, You know how goes,"no pain no gain. If its sore, keep working it. If it hurts, work something else."  Luckily you didnt want medical advice, as Im definitely not a doctor and should mostly be ignored... The BIG question is... How much has your BRAIN health increased since getting the new wheel? Joyful insanity is what I consider personal growth. B)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

uhh i remember lower back and leg pain when i was first starting out.. never neck? are you wearing a heavy helmet that you dont normally? that would be my guess as to why your neck would be sore, otherwise thats weird

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

3 hour ride!! Wow, thats quite a feat. Icant say my neck has ever bothered me, but my feet/hips/knees and lower back have. I doubt its from looking back too much, as thats a tough thing to do as a new rider. My guess is just as @Tawpie and @RockyTop . Tension caused it. Amazingly enough, the rest of you must be in great shape, as you arent complaining of those. Was it cold? I find i get ahces on my motorcycle when I ride too long in the cold. That ache is typically in the neck and shoulders. At any rate, grats on a VERY long ride. Mine are typically way shorter as I seem to flatten batteries pretty quickly. . Do your best to ride a little bit thru the soreness. You're the Doc, You know how goes,"no pain no gain. If its sore, keep working it. If it hurts, work something else."  Luckily you didnt want medical advice, as Im definitely not a doctor and should mostly be ignored... The BIG question is... How much has your BRAIN health increased since getting the new wheel? Joyful insanity is what I consider personal growth. B)

Yeah, it went away after I begrudgingly took a day off. I still haven't been able to get the battery below 50%, try as I might. I'm sure that will change soon and then I'll start browsing at other wheels.  I've been trying to remind myself to loosen up while I'm riding and to take breaks even if I don't want to. The soles of my feet get really sore during the ride sometimes but that's usually fixed with a short break.

Its funny you mention mental health, because that was not something that I even considered when I got this thing. I was just hoping that I would be able to ride the damn thing and that it wouldn't end up being a dust collector in the corner of my garage. I don't think I've spent this much time outside in years. I've gone to parks that I've lived by for forever and never bothered checking out. I just feel happy when I'm cruising around. 

3 hours ago, Rywokast said:

uhh i remember lower back and leg pain when i was first starting out.. never neck? are you wearing a heavy helmet that you dont normally? that would be my guess as to why your neck would be sore, otherwise thats weird

I'm wearing a regular bike helmet until my full face one comes in. I also find it weird but I'm gonna chalk it up to beginner's growing pains. Hopefully it becomes a non-issue once I get more comfortable on the wheel.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DocPablo said:

Its funny you mention mental health, because that was not something that I even considered when I got this thing. I was just hoping that I would be able to ride the damn thing and that it wouldn't end up being a dust collector in the corner of my garage. I don't think I've spent this much time outside in years. I've gone to parks that I've lived by for forever and never bothered checking out. I just feel happy when I'm cruising around.

And there you have it! Nothing makes me happier than hearing stuff like that! When you calculate the 'smiles per mile' factor, the euc is quite a bargain. Sad part is... you now have a taste and one euc is the pathway to more euc usage and purchases. Totally a gateway to empty pockets, a sh*t eating grin and a decent attempt at recapturing youth. Enjoy it while you can, as today is here and tomorrow may not be.... I count 4 notable moments of perfect clarity and happiness in my life so far. Riding an euc as a noob into the summer wind with reckless abandon was one of them. I still recall the exact moment.:eff034a94a:

Major congrats on your journey. Hopefully you are soaking in the soreness, the revelations and enjoying ALL of it. 'Kinda makes you feel alive dont it?' Once you get better, THEN you get to enjoy it in a different sense. You totally have the right to be proud of yourself at any point in the journey. Pat yourself on the back a bit, you're part of the 1% ers... 

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

I haven't ridden my pedal unicycles much since I've gotten my two electric unicycles. I've been tearing around daily on my RS. I use it for last mile commute and usually a 5 mile loop in the park near my house. It has multi purpose trails, mostly single track. I usually end up on very steep hiking trails and have the RS screaming for mercy. I usually overheat going up and down hill. I let it cool a little and keep going. The RS definitely pulls strong and it acceletates like mad on the flats. I get wobbles in the high 20's mph. I hope to work through and go faster. I have a little over 500 miles on it. My mten3 is approaching 200 miles.

The stiff neck happened to me the day after too long an effort on the wheel on a strong windy day. A long crooked bad posture was exhausting but imperceptible the hot body, the evening great sleep, :efeeda4ad8: and the second day I was like an old cold wooden branch. :efee565ab0: