EUC Dilemma

andrew900nyc

As a lifelong (pedal) unicyclist, the advent of EUC's is one of the coolest things I could have ever imagined. Like most of you, I derive tremendous enjoyment from riding these things. Perhaps, even more importantly... and especially as a knickerbocker, my EUC is my primary mode of transportation within the City and by far the most convenient and cost effective way for me to get around.

So what's my dilemma?

Before I reveal my dilemma, I anticipate that it is very likely that many people will think I'm just an idiot, that this issue is easily solved by just doing what nearly everyone else does because it's really no big deal, etc., etc. And I concede that you are probable right, but my personality is unlikely to change at this stage of the game. As such, I'd just like to gather some information so that I can at least make an informed decision regarding my dilemma, which is whether or not to continue using my MSX as my main vehicle for intra-City travel.

I do not wear any protective gear. When I first bought my MSX, I bought knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards and a helmet. I wore the protective gear twice and then realized that putting all that gear on every time I want to go somewhere completely eliminated the convenience factor that I prize so much with EUC's. So I ditched all the safety gear and I stay hyper focused when I'm riding. My average riding speed on smooth, clear sections of road is about 35 - 40 kph. Once in a while, if I am confident that the road is smooth and the conditions are right, I may hit 50 kph, but only very briefly. Much of the time, I'm cruising between 20 - 30 kph. I'm not too concerned about rider error (or even the idiots around me), but the fact that an electronics failure of some sort at the wrong time (during my higher speed riding) would certainly ruin my day (and possibly my life) is not a very comforting feeling. And so it is with this in mind that I'd like to obtain some information about how reliable EUC's are in general, and the MSX in particular. How many of you have had cut-outs due to electronics failure? What wheel cut-out on you due to electronics failure? Of course, I don't want to include cut-outs resulting from asking for more juice than the battery could provide, just electronics failure cut-outs only. I'd like to gain some appreciation for how risky the self-balancing technology is in this industry. I've heard some people claim that you don't even need to worry about it because the wheels are so reliable and others who believe that failures are inevitable. What are your experiences and thoughts on the matter?

Edited by andrew900nyc
  • Like 3

Hmmm I don't get what your dilemma is. If its about electronics/mechanical failure, besides cutoffs induced by overloading (which I submit is rider error), chances are super low. However since this is a relatively high speed mobility device subjected to impacts & other rotation/torsional/etc forces, its not surprising if mechanical components jar themselves loose in due course so its always wise to develop a practise of regularly opening it up for a once over to ensure all the t's are crossed besides a good clean.

Far's PPE ie. personal protective equipment goes, I'd say YMMV. Afterall its your skin, your bones, your grief & your tears. So long's as I'm not responsible for your medical bills, I say do as you want as who am I or anyone for that matter to tell anyone how to live.

That said, I understand intimately the hassle of slogging on/off gear each & everytime. I wish I don't have to & on really hot humid days, I even fantasize riding in undies only. Afterall, IF I don't eat it then its all unnecessary. Then a voice pops up almost immediately & shouts....Thats a big IF. Its like IF I won't get caught I can rob a bank & then some. However I don't live in that world of IFs but instead, reality. 

And in the real world, Murphy's Law almost always rulezz. Sadly for me anyways🥺

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Scottie888 said:

And in the real world, Murphy's Law almost always rulezz. Sadly for me anyways🥺

This, Murphy will always have his say. Protective gear is the simply mitigation, something will go wrong, it may be the electronics in the wheel, riders error or just something you cannot control, other pedestrians, cars..... etc

• Like 1

Thanks for your feedback and good advice, @ShanesPlanet, @Scottie888, @Simply_Striking, @xiiijojjo & @Tawpie

I think the consensus seems to be that while the chance of an electronics failure is quite low, with every mile of use, the risk increases ever so slightly due to wear and the possibility of vibration-induced mechanical failure, etc. Given the limited amount of information regarding EUC reliability and the fact that nearly any "weak link" in the circuitry that fails could have severe consequences, I will need to carefully consider how I will utilize my MSX. There is almost zero chance that I suit up with all the protective gear I have every time I want to go somewhere. I would be ok with the risk of rider error and external factors, but a sudden cut-out due to an electronics failure may be more risk than I want to take on when riding without protection. As such, I think there is a real (and somewhat depressing) possibility that my EUC riding will diminish substantially. I may be willing to suit up for long journeys and for those occasions when I have time for decent length recreational rides, but not for all the local blasting around town that I'm used to doing on a daily basis. Maybe one day the manufacturers of these machines will build in the kind of redundancy that the aviation industry utilizes to increase safety, but I kind of doubt it. Not sure most consumers would pay the extra money for the incremental increase in safety the redundancy offered. In any case, I am still in a quandary because I know that certain aspects of my personality will tempt me to just keep riding without any protection as I have been, while the more rational parts of my brain will try to prevent me from doing so. I'm not 100% sure which side will win out. Convenience is a very alluring, but insidious little devil. Hopefully good sense & caution will prevail.  

Edited by andrew900nyc

Its not if ur going to fall,its when.High speeds will end badly and low speeds can 2.(have a look at the bloke who fell and broke his femur at 5kmh).I dont trust the Qc from our wheel suppliers so i,m atgatt.In the end its ur call,knowing the risks! 

• Like 2

It's a real dilemma and I understand/respect everyones viewpoint on gear. I have always worn everything, but the other day I knew I was going for a 'chilled' ride and for the first time bought myself a skate lid (I usually use full face). It felt naughty, bad and dangerous, but I loved the free feeling. I was able to easily chat with riders next to me, I could hear more and I could also vape whilst riding lol. Oh and rearwards vision was better.

That said, when I say 'chilled', I am acutely aware of the damage even low speed impacts have caused some riders. TBH I am torn with what to do sometimes. At the very least I will still wear elbow, knee and wrist guards and a helmet of some sort but helmet wise it's a decision I struggle with, especially in summer. I really should try something super light and airy like a Fox Proframe but imo they are still as bulky as hell.

As has been said, wheel failures are pretty rare but the injuries my buddy sustained when riding seated at just 15mph (capacitor failed on MSX) weren't pretty. That said, he wasn't wearing knee or elbow pads either...nor a helmet...luckily his head never hit the ground.

It really is a roll of the dice every time we go out. Pads are unlikely to stop a broken collarbone/arm/leg anyway. EUC's are inherently risky (don't tell the authorities that).

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

The later MSXs were made a bit better than the earliest ones, with better heat handling on the cable layout for example.

I agree, the middle onwards MSX's were and to my mind still are one of the most reliable EUC's out there. No hollow motors, strong mosfets and cabling etc, proper 18650 Sanyo cells, board soldering is fine, the only real weakness is the shell construction IMO, and thats only relevant in the event of a crash.

And you are right about gear of course, it really shouldn't be an issue to put on. Your toothbrush example is good - if we miss it for a day we worry about our teeth falling out. Don't wear a full face when riding and we could lose all the front ones straight away - plus a broken jaw :shock2:

• Like 2

Protective equipment can be convenient to use. For example the iXS Trigger FF helmet is super lightweight and comfortable. It only takes seconds to put on or off. Normal jacket can be replaced with a protective motorcycle jacket

• Like 2

Don't let the 'what if's' ruin the definitive. You've made it this long, why the sudden change? @Scottie888 hit the nail on the head. I was simply going to point to the statistic that few to none have died on an euc to date. Can't say the same about cooking in the kitchen, taking a shower, walking across the street and driving a car. It all boils down to... are you gna live in fear of possibilities or are you gna live IN JOY with the possibilities? Once you give this up, whats the next enjoyable thing to go? I'm already in my 40's, life has been kind to me and it would be a shame to cower in the corner now... I did purchase a MC suit. it only takes about 45 seconds to pull it on. Ironically, it's gna stay stiff and near new for years I suspect. B)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

I wear accordingly. Go down a couple of blocks to buy something from Safeway, no protective gear. To and fro from work everyday, yes. Spend a whole day out riding, yes. Spot a beautiful sexy girl, yes!!!:wub: BTW, I already had my lessons of 2 face plants. One was w/o protective gear, it hurt! Second one was with protective gear, hurt less!:roflmao: No one is immune to surprises or accidents!

Edited by scubadragosan
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the feedback. Once I have some time and I find where I buried my protective gear, I am likely to take the advice of at least wearing a lid. I agree that most hobbies take more time to get ready, but riding a wheel is both a hobby and transportation. When I had a motorcycle, I was required to wear a helmet, but I would have worn it in any case, so I think wearing one when I'm on my wheel is a reasonable thing to do... and won't be too much of a hassle. Hopefully, I'll eventually transition to wearing more gear, but a helmet will be a good first step. As a side note, strangely enough I get more comments on my recumbent bike than I do on my wheel, but the two most memorable comments were essentially slightly different worded versions of the same sentiment. As I was blasting up 1st Ave last fall, some guy eating outside yelled at me at the top of his lungs "You're going to die!" A similar sentiment was expressed about a month ago by a woman I passed on 3rd Ave. Perhaps wearing a helmet will reduce these kinds of comments.

Edited by andrew900nyc
  • Like 1

If convenience is the issue just get motorcycle clothes, a pair of MC Jeans that look like normal clothes but is also protective and a MC jacket, or the lazy rolling clothes, those are really no effort to put on, you put on your pants and jacket to go out and you're done.

• Like 3

Although i'm happy @andrew900nyc has chosen to ride with a helmet at the very least, i am now kinda left waiting for the "you guys were right i'm now getting surgery "- post 

Hopefully that never happens though. But whenever we talk about protective gear on this forum and people knowingly opts out of the good advise i'm just left here sitting on a barrel of " i told ya so" waiting for it to age. 

Edited by xiiijojjo
  • Like 2

On 4/24/2021 at 12:28 PM, Eucner said:

Protective equipment can be convenient to use. For example the iXS Trigger FF helmet is super lightweight and comfortable. It only takes seconds to put on or off. Normal jacket can be replaced with a protective motorcycle jacket

This.

About electronic failure? euc electronics generally tend to be highly reliable but i guess it depends on a number of factors such as age,  electronic components in computers don't last forever so don't expect your euc to be any different.

Edited by davewood1982
  • Like 1