Ninebot Acquires Segway

Sunny Rockwheel

Hi Sunny,

do you have more details on this? From the photos you can't really see what's going on.

maybe you will see news tomorrow.This happened today.I will search for more information .

As far as I knew,the ninebot finish the full acquisition of segway.Segway become the subsidiary company of ninebot 

I have a Segway if anyone wants to buy (only 355 miles driven)! Anyway Ninebot's own knockoffs are better looking and way cheaper than Segways. I don't know why they have to acquire Segway. But it is good news for us. Unlike no name companies that make no name EUs, now we can trust and expect real quality products from a known company called Ninebot. So this makes Ninebot a major player in the EU market. Ofcourse Apple will join later.

Well, now we know what the teaser from Xiaomi was about. :). Think like this though, if Xiaomi is involved, I would be surprised if the don't pursue some sort of MIUI app for both ninebot and segway

As for why ninebot would purchase segway? To legitimize themselves. To eliminate patent issues. And to expand into other markets all at once :)

So funny, I just emailed segway last week saying they need a similar one wheel model to compete, thy must have just gave up after all these years, wonder if the segway owners lost money on the deal?

I wonder if Segway will extend their product line. They are probably the most recognized brand name for self-balancing transporters globally. I hope their prices go down as well - I think that's been a huge barrier to greater adoption of their product.

...Once the acquisition closes, Segway will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ninebot, but the two brands will remain separate."

From the above press release, I didn't quite understand why they want to keep 2 brands separate. As a customer, if I see 2 products next to each other, I will choose Ninebot hands down. It's cheaper, sexier, lighter and newer. Segway practically stopped improving. I guess it's understandable when sales are disappointing.  

As for why ninebot would purchase segway? To legitimize themselves. To eliminate patent issues. And to expand into other markets all at once :)

I am lead to believe Segway considered Ninebot to have infringed some of their patents.

This purchase would look after those 'accusations' & allow Ninebot to make some serious inroads into future development of electric solo transport systems.

This also allows Ninebot to use said patents to protect its market (or as some people might way "allow them to stifle competition and innovation").

Archived