1500$ budget for NYC riding

Hi all, I'm just getting into the EUC hobby. I rode my friends OneWheel and it was fun, then another friend let me ride his EUC (I think it was a segway or similar). I'm looking to get an EUC for fun to explore NYC and areas around. 

I've done some research and would love some thoughts on which models I should consider. I dont' want to spend more than 1500$ since I need to save budget or helmet + protective gear + accessories. 

Are the following reasonable options:

- Tesla v3  (1600$ on the AliExpress Wheel Riders Store, but there's a 50$ coupon so this is just barely over my budget, so it should be fine)

• Apparently, it may take up to 45 days for this to arrive from China, which is certainly annoying. I've never purchased anything from AliExpress, but this store seems reputable.

- Tesla v2 (1200$ on AliExpress store, shipping from US)

- MCM5v2  (1300$ on ewheels so I could get this pretty soon OR I could save a few hundred and get it from AliExpress and have to wait a month for shipping)

- MSuperX (1550$ can get in 5 days via Fedex from MrRide Store on AliExpress)

- 2021 Newest Gotway MsuperX Electric Unicycle MSX 84V 1600WH Max 60km/h+,2500W Motor,Max 4000W,electric scooter Freeshipping|Self Balance Scooters| - AliExpress

Am I approaching this hobby wrong? This'll be my first EUC so I'd like to have something fun. I won't be commuting daily to work with this EUC, but mainly for exploration and weekend fun.  I'll also be using this to replace my bike rides which are roughly ~4-5 days a week for errands and are  under <5 miles. 

I'm worried about cobble stone and all the potholes in NYC...should I look at a suspension models instead (even though they are so much more expensive? ) 

Many thanks. These forums have a wealth of knowledge that I've started to explore. 

• Like 3

Welcome!
First glance I like the MSX ( MsuperX ) best,  but that is just me. We need more info. How much do you weigh and are you normally an aggressive rider or more laid back. Are you fragile or can you take a beating? 

The larger wheels are smother to ride but take more force in tight places to operate. This can actually be a good thing. It will be difficult to beat the MSX. 

• Like 1

Nope you're approaching it good.

I love my MCM5v2 for its lightweight nimbleness & handling but range, not so much.

I like the TeslaV2 for its lighter weight & nimbleness but the narrow tire & low pedals restricts it usage. If you can get the 1480wh V2 for $1100 (price I paid), its a great value as a city commuter esp if one swaps a 2.5" tire. Personally I'd pass on the 1020wh version.

TeslaV3 suffers similar negs as the V2 with no other benefits except the new 1500wh pack. Hollow bore motor's supposed stronger but the old 1900w motor isn't exactly wanting to begin with plus you'd be betting on the bearings.  

Of all the wheels you've put down, if it were me I'd go for the 84v 1600wh MSX. IMO it provides the best overall all terrain best ave speed & range of the group. It should do you for a while before the upgraditis bug bites (hopefully).

Sorry I forgot to add my details:

175lb, pretty athletic and can take a beating (young enough where falls won't be as bad as they could be) 

I imagine long term I'll tend to be more aggresive, judging by how I ride my bike and skii, but I don't know yet since I don't have much EUC experience. 

• Like 1

All of the smaller wheels are great in some useful way. The MSX is good all around. The MSX that you have listed was/is a great  wheel. The price is low because it is an older version. The newer version is 100volts and cost $2100. There is a difference but it will likely take you a year to feel the difference for yourself. 

Many thanks already for the replies RockyTop and Scottie888  (surprised and happy to find another Calgarian(ex) )

Excellent given the feedback I think I have narrowed things down to:

Is the 300$ premium of the MSX over the Tesla v2 'worth it'? Aren't there some benefits of the Tesla v2 in terms of mobility since it is 10 lbs lighter or does the increased battery capacity outweight that.

Edited by floki

3 minutes ago, floki said:

Tesla v2 (+ tire swap, presumably you mean the enduro tire swap as in this video 2.4-inch Enduro Tire Installation On The Tesla V2 - YouTube ?)

No, the 2.4 knobby is good for dirt & stuff but on streets, its trash. As the goombas in lower Manhattan would say...fuhgeddaboudit. I forgot the the specifics but YT search for EUC Chronicles as he did the swap. Personally I ordered from Ali & am still awaiting its arrival.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, floki said:

Is the 300$ premium of the MSX over the Tesla v2 worthy? Aren't there some benefits of the 10 lbs lighter Tesla v2? 

It definitely would be for me. The larger tire size is awesome on mountain bike trails. It glides over bumps and curbs much easier. The smaller tire hits harder and stop/hesitate on bump and grooves and road work. You have to increase the tire pressure with the smaller tires. You should feel more stable on the larger wheel. 

Cool thanks for the replies. I think then the MSX might be my best option. The tires given the NYC situation will probably be the most comfortable. I read that there are 100v MSX ? Is that true I can only find 84v models in AliExpress. Not sure if that really matters.

Edited by floki

Yes, You can get an older GotWay MSX or MSP 100volt or now they have changed their name to Begode RS. RS19, RT

The wheel with many names. 

MSX older

MSX , MSS, MSXS  -speed 

MSP  - torque 

RT 19, RT - Torque  newer

RS 19 S , RS speed.   Newer

Others call them by the motors. 

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 2

There's a 100v MSX but its been discontinued inlieu of the MSP. While there's still some in the wild, the MSP has also since been superceded by the new RS (hs or ht). The RS is very powerful & smooth except some newer adoptees have experienced issues with bearings (&other typical GW shenanigans but that's another story).

I ride with a fellow calgarian & his RS ht spanks my S18 up hills all day & seemingly with less effort.

O & before I forget, a big Heya to a (ex) fellow Calgarian now NY'er.

Edited by Scottie888
  • Like 2

I would also recommend that you buy from a USA dealer like ewheels.com. They do a great job when and if you have a problem and you are supporting a company that is working to make wheels better. They are in the process of getting the newer gotway/begode wheels upgraded for their customers with better batteries and other things...I have have very good experience with them as most of the experienced riders will attest.

1 hour ago, RockyTop said:

Yes, You can get an older GotWay MSX or MSP 100volt or now they have changed their name to Begode RS. RS19, RT

The wheel with many names. 

MSX older

MSX , MSS, MSXS  -speed 

MSP  - torque 

RT 19, RT - Torque  newer

RS 19 S , RS speed.   Newer

Others call them by the motors. 

Very insightful. Albeit a little confusing. 

So to get things straight. GotWay -> Begode  company renamed (sounds like a pointless decision as both names equally suck, but just confuse)

Under Gotway branding:

MSX, MSS, MSXS - speed models and are all identical? 

MSP - torque model

Under Begode branding (newer models):

RS 19 S, RS speed (identical models) basically an  'upgrade' to the MSX? 

RT 19, RT torque models, basically an 'upgrade' to the MSP? 

For a new rider should we value speed or torque i.e. should I really be looking at the MSX or MSP? The speed to me sounds like something I wouldn't be worried about till maybe a 6-12 months down the line, where as torque sounds like something I would feel and benefit right from the get-go on hills and inclines?

If its for NYC riding and you are going to shop, go to restaurants and do a few fast laps around the park .... get the Tesla.  I love it for city riding, its very quick and nimble for the city, and light enough to carry once in a while. It's one of the fastest accelerating wheels... There are still a bunch of Tesla 2's out there for $1,200.  A fabulous wheel to learn on too.

As an owner of a TeslaV2, MCM5v2 (2.5") & S18 (said 3" but really 2.75"), they all have their particular issues handling fast bumps.

The pros of the 2.125 on the Tesla is the super nimble handling. It almost literally drops into turns instinctively rather than with specific feet actions which makes it amazing for carving. Funnest carver IMO. Its not that it doesn't handle bumps well but more so that its super sensitive to PSI in that aspect. Negs are if one lowers PSI, handling turns mushier incomparo plus high speed runs are expectedly less stable. That said, when its running on smooth surfaces, its smooth like a well oiled boob😆.

The wider & bigger 3" tires in comparo have less road feel & takes effort to be nimble. That said, it can run on much lower PSI which increases the shock absorption potential. Also as expected, its much stabler at higher speeds.

IMO the 2.5" is the perfect intersection btwn combining nimbleness with good shock absorption. Much like the 3", it can run on lower PSI with less negs than the 2.125. 

Hard to explain unless one experiences it themselves. Its all a matter of preference, riding style, typical ave speeds & intended terrain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, floki said:

@Mrd777 Don't you find  problems with the thinner wheels on the tesla v2 a real issue with  all the bumps/cobblestone/etc. here in NYC?

Actually this is the beauty of the Tesla.. some want to change the tire for something wider however the small footprint is what makes this wheel fast and nimble. I’ve had over a dozen wheels and currently own 7 and I’m still impressed with the Tesla 2.  The 1020wh is a nice light wheel.  As I’ve mentioned in other posts the “weight to speed ratio can’t be beat”

6 hours ago, floki said:

Sorry I forgot to add my details:

175lb, pretty athletic and can take a beating (young enough where falls won't be as bad as they could be) 

I imagine long term I'll tend to be more aggresive, judging by how I ride my bike and skii, but I don't know yet since I don't have much EUC experience. 

Welcome!

Not to repeat what guys have already said here, but more food for thought that was not mentioned.

The MSX/MSP line has been king of NYC riders for good reason. For a one-wheel-to-rule-them-all, and based on your above note on aggressive biking & skiing, this screams 100V MSX/MSP to me (note, I am not a fan of this wheel model because of my more nuanced opinions on wheels that most don't espouse, but I do realize the reason for this model's popularity). 

Also some other food for thought that is of no particular singular bias:

• In my experience, if you tend to be demanding on acceleration for any vehicle EUC regardless (note, this is often for safety IMHO, ie. escaping other vehicle danger / obstacles in NYC traffic, not just for fun), 84V, especially sub 50% battery, kind of doesn't cut it for me, as I'll often have to ride more conservative to avoid overlean cutout on hard accel, entering that mid 40% battery zone on an 84V wheel (my general observation). This is compounded the smaller the battery pack size is, because there are less packs in parallel to share the workload. This phenomenon is much less on 100V wheels.
  • With the above note, I tend to halve the battery size number, as I prefer to ride that optimal performance, optimum accel upper 50% battery range, unless I have to travel long range (which is nice to have that option). Hence, the other smaller battery pack wheels to me are more specialty, compact, round-the-block type wheels, which is fine, but if you only own one wheel, tends to give you range envy, especially if you ever plan to ride in a group with any of the NYC riders (which might be the case, who knows). Also note, the bigger the battery size, the faster you can charge it in a pinch (within the limitations of your charging line chain of components).
  • Out of all the wheels you mentioned, by far the best shell quality and prone to less impact-inflicted damage is the MCM5, v2, this tends to be the trend for egg-shaped Gotway/beJesus wheels. However, the Tesla series was one of the first big egg wheels from them, so that shell tended to be fragile as well (although supposedly they got better, dunno). And don't get me started on the MSX/MSP series shells, I have a whole library catalog of Telegram stickers showing MSX/MSP shells that look like they've been bombed in multiple world wars :D
  • Maybe it's just me, but I still don't trust hollow bore motors and the ongoing bearing rusting issues, as the solutions I've seen by the mfr's seem like band-aid, non-fundamental fixes, so to me, I wouldn't touch that Tesla V3 with a ten foot stick.
  • The seller you pick is super important because often the mfr (I guess Gotway/byJesus in this case), will not service you direct, pushing you back to your original dealer. I was burned many a time as a newb like this. Most every seller can deliver you a wheel successfully, that's rarely an issue: it's the ones that will troubleshoot and source you replacement parts when issues arise, those are the sellers you want to buy from. eWheels will often get recommended here, for good reason. Being in NYC, you have a few local guys like NYC.EUC and a couple of riders that sell and keep stock locally, reachable on NYC EUC Telegram (also see my signature on desktop for other local resources). For the AliExpress China guys, the better ones you will get support, albeit after many many weeks of back-and-forth, so don't count on too much there post-purchase. Any AliExpress store that has no reputation, I wouldn't go near for a whole wheel purchase (maybe for parts).

But most importantly, go with your gut. Unless you really mastered that friend's Segway or similar, you have no frame-of-reference as a new rider, so probably best to just dive in head first. 

There is no perfect wheel, and there are fans of all of the wheels you've mentioned. Only once you've lived and breathed your first wheel will you truly know what you want / need.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, floki said:

Very insightful. Albeit a little confusing. 

So to get things straight. GotWay -> Begode  company renamed (sounds like a pointless decision as both names equally suck, but just confuse)

Under Gotway branding:

MSX, MSS, MSXS - speed models and are all identical? 

MSP - torque model

Under Begode branding (newer models):

RS 19 S, RS speed (identical models) basically an  'upgrade' to the MSX? 

RT 19, RT torque models, basically an 'upgrade' to the MSP? 

yes for the most part. The older MSX comes in 84v or 100v with the 100 volt being faster. As they get newer you get more stuff. lights and Bluetooth speakers. .... Hollow motor. You probably don't want the hollow motor. 

I am to going to start the torque Vs speed argument up. ........... We don't even know if you like soft or hard settings yet. 

12 hours ago, houseofjob said:

• The seller you pick is super important because often the mfr (I guess Gotway/byJesus in this case), will not service you direct, pushing you back to your original dealer. I was burned many a time as a newb like this. Most every seller can deliver you a wheel successfully, that's rarely an issue: it's the ones that will troubleshoot and source you replacement parts when issues arise, those are the sellers you want to buy from. eWheels will often get recommended here, for good reason. Being in NYC, you have a few local guys like NYC.EUC and a couple of riders that sell and keep stock locally, reachable on NYC EUC Telegram (also see my signature on desktop for other local resources). For the AliExpress China guys, the better ones you will get support, albeit after many many weeks of back-and-forth, so don't count on too much there post-purchase. Any AliExpress store that has no reputation, I wouldn't go near for a whole wheel purchase (maybe for parts).

This  has got me concerned. One major  issues are that the MSX/Tesla V2 seem to be out of stock at  ewheels and even if in stock the price premium is over +$500 the AliExpress stores (ok yeah it'll take a month plus to ship, but still). I checked out Telegram and it looked like some guys are trying to hustle me more expensive wheels and 100v models, and making claims that all 16+ new gotways are 100v, I don't know how comfortable I feel about that. 

Suppose I do get an AliExpress model and the wheel has issues, presumably I can explore around these forums and figure out what's the issue and order replacement parts from AliExpress or EBay. Has that been a big problem? Certainly $1500 is a lot of money and I would be disappointed if they shipped a non-working/broken model. 

BTW in terms of charging, are there any guides out there in terms of best practices and whether they are included in orders? 

For reference my gut is telling me to get  an MSX (voltage doesn't matter, ppl on telegram are convincing me I'll outgrow 84v..), Tesla V2, MCMC v2  with the Tesla v2 and MSX as a toss-up and the MCMC v2 as a backup option.    Again, ewheel discontinued the Tesla v2, so the only comparable on is the KS 16X.  In the end maybe it's better to risk an AliExpress or ewheel on the MCMC5 and then look for an upgrade in a year or so... 

Edited by floki

17 minutes ago, floki said:

This  has got me concerned. One major  issues are that the MSX/Tesla V2 seem to be out of stock at  ewheels and even if in stock the price premium is over +$500 the AliExpress stores (ok yeah it'll take a month plus to ship, but still). 

Yes, this is because the 84V MSX (any MSX really) and Tesla V2 are almost EOL End of Life, ever since Gotway/BabyJesus switched their motor supplier to the more maintenance-intensive rusty bearing hollow bore motors. Most have probably cleared out their stock by now.

I checked out Telegram and it looked like some guys are trying to hustle me more expensive wheels and 100v models, and making claims that all 16+ new gotways are 100v, I don't know how comfortable I feel about that.

Ah, that's unfortunate. Yes, some of the guys can be a bit hard-headed on only 100V / max battery / speed/performance. While I've heard of satisfied buyers, myself, I've only bought once locally from NYC.EUC. 

Suppose I do get an AliExpress model and the wheel has issues, presumably I can explore around these forums and figure out what's the issue and order replacement parts from AliExpress or EBay. Has that been a big problem? Certainly $1500 is a lot of money and I would be disappointed if they shipped a non-working/broken model. 

Most replacement parts, yes, you can pay money to acquire elsewhere (minus maybe eWheels if you're not an existing customer) if your AliX seller isn't pulling their weight support-wise. I was talking more about acquiring parts covered under warranty for no or minimal charge.

BTW in terms of charging, are there any guides out there in terms of best practices and whether they are included in orders? 

Well, most all 84V wheels come with absurdly slow 1.5A or 2A stock brick chargers. 100V wheels tend to come with a little higher charging amp rate, 3A for the Gotway 100V wheels.

So, down the typical charging chain, you're usually capped at the weakest charging link. For smaller battery pack wheels, this will be the limit of the battery packs itself, as I tend to think of safe charging rate as generally (not hard rule) 1.5 amps -ish per parallel battery pack, so something like an "800Wh" 84V Gotway battery being 3P, I would not surpass 4-ish amps. When you're dealing with larger packs with more in parallel, the weakest link now becomes the charging GX16 port, which is often quoted (when wired normally, not double-ing up wires) as 5amp max. But unless your wheel has dual ports, for higher / faster charging, you're usually talking about third-party and DIY solutions.

• Like 1