My first EUC with no experience - Inmotion V11

Sevenfire

I am a newbie here, Hi everyone!

I have the EUC for a day and half now, trial several attempts, learning from the videos on youtube. I got my EUC rough up quite bad.

I have cone blocks road plus some concrete. Would you suggest that I try my next attempt on grass instead?

Oh one time the EUC is marching forward everytime i turn it on. Went ok after I reset the EUC in the app.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Keep it up!

I'm a big fan of learning in grass. It is more difficult to balance, but you really learn to control the wheel quickly through unexpected bumps and it just gives you more confidence knowing you aren't tearing up your machine/yourself.

The best peice of advice I've received is to remember that your always falling (wether walking, running, biking, unicycling) and with unicycles you are. ust catching your balance to stand up. It really helps me mentally when things get tough.

There are a lot of tutorials out there, and I'm biased because this guy personally helped me learn how to ride, but this is essentially how I learned to ride without too much damage to myself or anyone's wheel.

https://youtu.be/UHrh5Kk9x98

• Like 1

You are very welcome. And you’re making outstanding progress! You’re looking nice and stable and in control. Now all it takes is practice. Some days you’ll make a lot of progress, others not as much but it seems like every minute you spend on the wheel makes you better.

I couldn’t see the size of the grin on your face when you went by, but I’m guessing it was ear to ear. Mine sure was anyway!

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

Hehehe Of course I am very happy, thank you so much for the support Tawpie, feeling amazing and this is my Fifth Day, I am feeling great, I am commiting myself for an hour a day :efee612b4b:

This is the description that I put on the Video for Newbie like, me as an couragement as well hehehw

That video is for my milestone learning journal to remember and look back when I am good enough. This is my fifth day, received the EUC Tuesday April 2021 evening, bashed it up with bruises and scratches on my First EUC ever, Inmotion v11. First damage is always a pain to see hehehe, Wednesday try out on the yard near by, brutally scratch up again, First Gyro error, EUC spinning forward fast, need to reset. 

Thursday try out a bit and failed again, just leaning on my car, moving back and forth, learning the pivotting a bit with my dominant leg as instructed on many youtube. Friday the same thing.

Saturday is my breaking point, Met up with my EUC Seller and other people in the Group, very nice guys, all are experts, I got lended KS16 to learn, after falling a few times, I switch back to my Inmotion V11, which suddenly feel manuverable and better. First successful attempt half lap, several times with a few falling.

Sunday morning, practice again with Success, no fall =). two laps at a time, no falls, o further damages to my EUC. Gonna continue an hour every day Practice. 

• Like 1

Thank you Mkader17 for the support. Today is my 6th Day, Had an hour and half practice. Much improved confidence, already speed up to 19.8km, Distance should be more than 9km, First experience on Cone blocks and transitions from Cement Parking Floor, First experience hitting small bumps. All good today! 

I would like to learn launching from ground without help of pole/ a car. Do you have any reference to Videos of learning to Launch? 

Btw do you know if EUC world will still record data if the phone connection is disconnected from the wheel? I put the phone in the car and ride around with the car as the home base :)

13 hours ago, Sevenfire said:

Thank you Mkader17 for the support. Today is my 6th Day, Had an hour and half practice. Much improved confidence, already speed up to 19.8km, Distance should be more than 9km, First experience on Cone blocks and transitions from Cement Parking Floor, First experience hitting small bumps. All good today! 

I would like to learn launching from ground without help of pole/ a car. Do you have any reference to Videos of learning to Launch? 

Btw do you know if EUC world will still record data if the phone connection is disconnected from the wheel? I put the phone in the car and ride around with the car as the home base :)

Practice mounting with no poles. It was simply a matter of having no choice but to do it, that helped me. Stand in the middle of an empty lot and don't leave until you are worn out, hurt, or figure it out.  TONS of videos out about mount/dismount. I was weird tho, I just learned to ride in my own manner and quite enjoyed the non-methodical and slow process that I still employ today.

Eucw relies on a bluetooth connection to record wheel data. If your phone/android is not within bluetooth range, it cannot record data. The wheels do NOT store data in packets and once a connection is made, transmit the entirety. Eucw simple reads the realtime bluetooth data as given per each wheel. My lemfo has crap BT, it is not uncommon for random disconnects to ruin my tours. It could be user error too tho.

Fwiw, I began learning in grass. I also learned how you may seem like you are going slowly, but you are sometimes fast enough that when you jump, yuo roll. I also learned this on grass and was somewhat on purpose. As for gear... I wear it about 1% of the time. Gearing up or not is definitely a personal decision and you will ALWAYS get the majority of people here to say something like,  "all the gear all the time". Youll have to enjoy the irony of hearing people say it while they're on a ride without gear on :facepalm:.  Its your skin, its your risk, its your injuries. If you're an adult, wear gear or don't, either is a viable option.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

10 hours ago, Sevenfire said:

Similar to ShanesPlanet I learned because I was tired of finding something to help me start on. I remember when I first learned that committing to going forward as soon as I hopped on helped me get going. Something that I read here that was very useful as I got better was to start the push before you hop on and to pick your foot up when it's beside the unicycle not behind. AKA, it's not a skate board.

https://youtu.be/UHrh5Kk9x98?t=467

This link jumps right into mounting. I now practice what I call the "two-step" (because I'm from Texas) where I step on with one foot then step off with the other and reverse the process as it helps me practice the dominant and non-dominant foot.

• Like 2

Learning mounting and dismounting is a b**ch. Not only is it difficult because you're not moving and thus have fewer 'tools' available to balance, but it's real work AND it's time not spent riding.

My aha for mounting was DO NOT LOOK DOWN (you go where you're looking and down isn't usually the objective). Eyes ahead, don't bob your head. Try to not stomp on the pedal with your ground foot (much easier said than done), go for smooth weight transition side-to-side.

Do dedicate a portion of each session to just mounting, gaining control, stopping, and dismounting. Switch feet. Do it 5 times with each foot, then get in some riding and circles and figure 8s. I still start every ride with turning practice and hard braking—just to get everything sorted and remind the old muscles what we're doing. I'm solid enough mounting and miscounting to not need to work on it as much, but do still have to spend conscious time working on my non-dominant side... it gets out of practice.

• Like 3

I have successful Free mounting! Yeah! Yesterday on my Seventh day I did the first couple of free mounting! I did it again with many successful attempt today! Very happy.

The key learning I took advises from @Tawpie @ShanesPlanet and @MKader17 plus mix with my training:

1. Training to squat with raising one leg to learn balancing and leg power hehe

2. Learn to hold grab with one leg and move forward gliding technique which I never able to glide properly until now.

3. Do not look down, is good advise, I managed to always do that after securing on foot on the pedal and prepare to launch.

hestiations are still there, sometimes need two or three attempts but getting better. I can only do it now with my left foot on the pedal, cannot do the other way around. Plus my stop is not always good full stop, need more practice to full stop smooth and step the right foot on the ground.

Today is my 8th day and I am very happy with my progress, thank you so much for all the tips from you guys.

After doing the "training", i think train our leg/foot balance + Leg press maybe will help with the riding as well, what do you all think? 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sevenfire said:

I have successful Free mounting! Yeah! Yesterday on my Seventh day I did the first couple of free mounting! I did it again with many successful attempt today! Very happy.

The key learning I took advises from @Tawpie @ShanesPlanet and @MKader17 plus mix with my training:

1. Training to squat with raising one leg to learn balancing and leg power hehe

2. Learn to hold grab with one leg and move forward gliding technique which I never able to glide properly until now.

3. Do not look down, is good advise, I managed to always do that after securing on foot on the pedal and prepare to launch.

hestiations are still there, sometimes need two or three attempts but getting better. I can only do it now with my left foot on the pedal, cannot do the other way around. Plus my stop is not always good full stop, need more practice to full stop smooth and step the right foot on the ground.

Today is my 8th day and I am very happy with my progress, thank you so much for all the tips from you guys.

After doing the "training", i think train our leg/foot balance + Leg press maybe will help with the riding as well, what do you all think? 

I dont view riding as 'training' once you figure out how to roll around. Im a very slow learner, as I just go out and try stuff at random without any real set approach. I would think the next fun thing to try is... backwards? Or maybe before that, you can try extended one leg starts? Perhaps you could work your core balance by trying to sit atop the euc at speed. Then there's always jumping up/down curbs. Good to hear you're figuring it out and enjoying it! Fwiw, riding along side a walker at pedestrian speeds, is a sure fire way to gather better low speed control. Just don't run into their ankles :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet

• 3 weeks later...

Lot's of good advice in this thread. After about two years of learning and riding as a somewhat older rider, my experiences have led me to the conclusion that the single most important and immediate area for a new rider to tackle is mounting and dismounting. That is a foundational and core ability, when you start getting that under control, the rest will be much more approachable.

This was my self inflicted handicap when I was learning because I did not realize or practice this, it greatly hampered my learning speed by not first dealing with this aspect. This was partially due to watching many videos in which mounting/dismounting was either ignored or glossed over. I'm not blaming those people, I'm saying that videos (like the one posted in this thread) that deal with mounting/dismounting are where the really good information is coming from for a just starting out rider.

It also hurt me that the first two wheels I choose were terrible choices for my particulars (size/weight/ability) and newbie status. It wasn't until I got great appropriately sized wheel that things finally started to flow. From there the other wheels became fully useful in their own respective context's.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2021 at 11:56 AM, Sevenfire said:

My first EUC video or any video me riding anything hehehe....https://youtu.be/52onYKkasso

Using my old ricoh theta, pardon the quality. This is my 11th riding day

Hi All,

As a newcomer, it's good to hear that someone started with a V11 to learn too. :)
I have the wheel for a week now, practiced around 4-5 hours already.
Unfortunately my experiences are not the best yet. I'm 175cm (5'7") and 120kg (265lbs) with gear. (I'm the weightlifter bodytype.)
It's seems like I'm learning slowly or my pressure setup is wrong, but the wheel under me is wobbly as hell, the pedals are too high for me, can't mount without a wall and no success rolling without any prop.
Really considering of buying a small second-hand (maybe a V5f) wheel just to learn the basics. 
Maybe if I use the wheel without the suspension, that will lower the pedals and can deal with a better center of gravity.
Using with 0 suspension, can damage the wheel? (using in an empty parking lot)
I'm accepting any kind of advice.

Thanks in advance!

(Sorry if my english is not the best, not my native language :D )

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NMY said:

Hi All,

As a newcomer, it's good to hear that someone started with a V11 to learn too. :)
I have the wheel for a week now, practiced around 4-5 hours already.
Unfortunately my experiences are not the best yet. I'm 175cm (5'7") and 120kg (265lbs) with gear. (I'm the weightlifter bodytype.)
It's seems like I'm learning slowly or my pressure setup is wrong, but the wheel under me is wobbly as hell, the pedals are too high for me, can't mount without a wall and no success rolling without any prop.
Really considering of buying a small second-hand (maybe a V5f) wheel just to learn the basics. 
Maybe if I use the wheel without the suspension, that will lower the pedals and can deal with a better center of gravity.

Thanks in advance!

(Sorry if my english is not the best, not my native language :D )

It takes time ( a lot for some people) It took me almost 2 weeks to learn to ride in straight line on my 16X and another week to learn to turn right (had no problems with left, but my right turning was horrible).

Stick to asphalt or concreate, I wasted my first week on grass, it was impossible for me to advance in any significant way. 
I`m also 100kg (geared) 173.

• Like 2

I have only been riding 3 weeks and by no means any expert but I started on grass and found it very helpful. I tied a short rope to the euc, so if i bail it doesn't hit the floor. I spent my first hour on a football pitch and started from holding the goalpost and see how far i could get, by the end of the hour i was getting around 150m. Tried the same the next day and was surprised I was able to ride around the football pitch several times (with very little direction control). 3rd practice session I moved to tarmac parking lot and just practiced mounting and steering. This was a massive confidence boost as it is far easier to control on level ground. After that i managed a 7 mile trip along a cycle lane and have been riding most days since. 

I know people are saying not to start on grass but it did help me. These things are far easier to balance on once you have a bit of speed and it is far less daunting to get the speed on grass than asphalt. The rope is also a great help. Especially on tarmac. Nothing worse than seeing your new toy keep smashing to the ground time and time again. These are just my thoughts and experiences, We all learn differently. But just thought I would put them out there.

• Like 2

I just got my V11 on Saturday July 10th and practiced on grass, used JCF video(https://youtu.be/UHrh5Kk9x98) as a guide. Mounting and dismounting is %@$^& .. :)  but once you commit to it (wear protective gear) it can be learned.

Used, JCF's 1st step then learned mounting  - I got a feel of moving the EUC back and forth with sensitivity at 100% then kept mounting and dismounting after 2 hours( and strained muscles - please take frequent breaks)  I had figured out and started making back and forth laps on day 1 , yesterday was day 2 tried to master turnings on concrete; did good but I feel I can get better each day I practice.

I have minimum scratches, used other videos as reference and covered most hit areas with scratch resistant tape- which can be removed too without damaging body - Link here ( https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Protectors-Anti-Scratch-Waterproof-Transparent/dp/B07XGZXD41/ref=asc_df_B07XGZXD41/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=416650192701&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12560173945129997959&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026827&hvtargid=pla-873301337661&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=93124985279&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=416650192701&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12560173945129997959&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026827&hvtargid=pla-873301337661) 

Hope this is helpful - I am happy learning and wish you the same

• Like 3

On 7/7/2021 at 8:19 AM, NMY said:

Thanks in advance!

It is okay to let the air out of the suspension and ride in a parking lot. It will not damage the wheel. 

The V11 is a bit more challenging to ride at 1st since it is higher. But we do adapt to it and then it is as stable as any wheel once the reflexes become attuned to it.

Remember to keep the practice sessions short (20 - 30 min) but often (couple times a day). Give the body time to process what it is learning. Often the next day after sleeping, something that was hard for you before is easy. The body processes new motor skills while sleeping.

Protect those ankles ... the pedals bite!

Watch lots of YouTube videos. Some things people say will make sense to you if you hear it said different ways. For example, when it comes to braking, some people like to think that they push their feet forward (me!), while others are happy to think that they are leaning backward.

I am a bigger guy like you and 61 years old. It took me a while. Persistence is the key. If that does not work, stubbornness will do!    

• Like 1