Charger

MonsieurBadgerCheese

Hi Badger, sorry to hear of yr problems there, not good. Have you contacted the supplier?

Maybe Ian from Speedy Feet could give you a repair option. I must say that the charging port and the charging attachment look very fragile to me, and Im always very very careful when putting the cord to the 9bot.

hope you get it sorted soon...

Did you buy from a dealer?  If so, I would imagine they would send you another charger with some photo evidence of the problem. 

A small pair of needle nosed pliers should be able to get the pieces out of the bot. 

I haven't tested the port for power, so if you do it, be careful to not short it. 

I don't believe my TG F3 has any power coming out of the port. 

Please post a photo of the issue.  The way the connector is built it would be very hard to pull pins out of the connector.  It must have been defective.

Unfortunately, it cannot be easily repaired.  Here is a picture of what the connector looks like on the inside.

IMG_20151229_013042.thumb.jpg.2a587e36c1

The good news is that if you can't get the charger replaced, you can order another connector and put it on yourself if you have some basic soldering skills.

Here is the connector that I bought:  http://www.aliexpress.com/item/LEMO-plug-self-locking-connector-PAG-M0-4GL-AC39V-PLG-M0-4GL-LV-glaze-concavity/32274404303.html

Or if yo want to upgrade your connector with something better: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-quality-LEMO-Circular-Push-Pull-Connector-Straight-Plug-FGG-0B-304-CLAD-Z-and-Socket/32437257734.html

56822af7ce0e3_High-quality-LEMO-Circular

7 hours ago, Cranium said:

Please post a photo of the issue.  The way the connector is built it would be very hard to pull pins out of the connector.  It must have been defective.

Do they have wires soldered to all of the pins on this one?  On my TG F3, they only use 2 of the 3 pins and the 3rd pin can be pulled out easily.  Is it possible that he can remove those two loose pins and still be able to charge if the CORRECT two pins were left in tact?  I have not dismantled my NineBot charger, so I'm not familiar with it yet.

Ninebot uses only 2 of the 4 pins... The other two are actually shorted/soldered together.. 

We had a similar problem (connector caught fire and melted)... We solved it by opening the ninebot, and cutting the cable from the charger socket. Then we connected the charger to the cable so the charger connected to the battery directly...

only problem with this solution is that you need to remove the upper part of thr led-ring to get to the battery connector... And it is destructive, meaning you can not use a replacement charger when it arrives, as the cable from battery to the charging cable has been cut...

but the "temporary" fix worked for my friend for 6 months and counting...

Hi,

Thanks very much for everyone's interest.

I contacted my local re-seller, here in Lyon, who in turn has contacted Ninebot (France). Their answer is that the charger is not covered by warranty, as damage to it may be caused by misuse.

Take a look at the photo's. I'm not really sure how that could be caused by misuse.

Anyway, in the meantime, I have ordered a new charger and socket from Speedy Feet - €214 delivered. I have also, as suggested, ordered a replacement plug, to try to repair the existing charger as a backup.

Probably the thing I am most annoyed about is that opening the unit, to replace the socket, will no doubt invalidate my warranty.

All in all, a bit sad for a 2 week-old unit.

MBC

Plug.jpg

Socket.jpg

I can't see how a charger wouldn't be covered by the warranty - it was supplied with the unit in the same box etc. not an aftermarket product!

I also fail to see any sign of 'miss-use' from the pictures!  I'd definitely be 'pushing back' to your supplier on this one, but that's easy for me to say from where I'm sat.

If no joy and you have to open it up then it shouldn't be too hard to just switch the two broken pins to the opposite side and continue to use the parts already in hand - the charge / connection only uses two out of the four connections in the plug so it would just be a case of transferring the two wires across to the other side in the socket and then either re-wire the plug, or cut and transpose the cable.  Of course, if you do this then you wouldn't be able to charge others units, or 'borrow' others chargers in the future.

I definitely feel for you if it's only two weeks in to your Ninebot experience :(

1 hour ago, MonsieurBadgerCheese said:

Anyway, in the meantime, I have ordered a new charger and socket from Speedy Feet - €214 delivered. I have also, as suggested, ordered a replacement plug, to try to repair the existing charger as a backup.

214€... let me just pick up my jaw from the floor. :o Not to suggest to buy any cheap (and probably low quality) charger, and I'd expect the original chargers to be very high quality, but that price sounds pretty steep to me. 

I would also push back.  There is no way to push the charger plug into the bot sideways or rotated, so how could it be your fault?

Also, DAMN on the price...  And I don't swear!  At BangGood, it's only $56.99 with free shipping to US.  $69.99 if coming from China.

http://www.banggood.com/Ninebot-One-Unicycle-Accessories-120W61V-Charger-Supply-for-NInebot-One-C-E-p-998297.html

It's  €64.90 with FREE Shipping to France., or $69.99 US to France.

EDIT:  For what it's worth, this might be one of those too good to be true sales at BangGood and they might sell out quickly.  I wish I had grabbed another One E+ for $539 and FREE Shipping when they had them.

• 2 weeks later...

Further update;

Received my charger and socket from Ian at Speedy Feet, who was kind enough to make me this video to go with the socket.

Just fitted it this morning. Had to strip down the wheel pretty much as far as possible, I'd say. A bit fiddly for a Newbie. Now back in one piece though - with no 'extra bits' - and seems to be charging ok.

Although, by stripping the wheel myself, I have now invalidated any further warranty, Ninebot (France) are still going to send me a further replacement charger and socket. Not a bad thing to have a spare.

MBC

Archived