POLL: Who are the EU riders? What is your age, gender, and occupation? (anonymous vote) How did you get into EUs?

Skylightica

Demographics of Electric Unicyclists  

272 members have voted

1. 1. What is your age?

• 65+
    • 60-64
    • 55-59
    • 50-54
    • 45-49
    • 40-44
    • 35-39
    • 30-34
    • 25-29
    • 20-24
    • 15-19
    • 10-14
    • Under 10
  2. 2. What is your gender?

• Male
    • Female
    • Other
  3. 3. What is your occupation? (Pre-retirement occupation counts too.)

• Student
    • Accounting and finance
    • Creative arts and design
    • Education
    • Engineering
    • Environment
    • Healthcare
    • Hospitality
    • IT
    • Law
    • Management
    • Marketing
    • Sales
    • Science
    • Service
    • Other

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good one @LEO_LEO

Me? I'm 54 retired from every industry, I've done almost everything except male model ( didn't like the hours) ?

I seem to,like every form of human travel that doesn't involve moving the feet:

car, check, motorcycle, check, Segways, P model and I models, check, powered paraglider, check, although that does involve foot movement at take off, retired 1940's greyhound bus, check, jet skis, several, check, windsurfer, check, electric scooter, check, that three wheeled trike thing you have to " row" to move, check. Racing go kart, check, hang gliding, check. Snow skis, check, snowboard,check, water ski, check, wakeboard,check, 

see, I like foot-free travel.  Now, all those things are gone, except, car, bike, EUC. But when I get home I suspect car and bike may stay in the garage for a while un taxed, un tested and un insured , as most of my travel needs will be within a 1 mile radius.  Looking forward to recouping the cost of the EUC, that way.

im currently on a no time limit tour of Europe before it changes for good ( if you know what I mean),. Received my first EUC (KS14c) in Vidauban France.  Started my learning there.  Moved to Casteldefel near Barcelona.  Continuing my learning here.  My rented apartment is on the beach.  I walk my EUC across the road to the most perfect EUC training ground imaginable.  A 40 foot wide promenade that is as smooth as a pool table, and about as long as.., well I don't know how long it is because I haven't found the western end of it yet, but it's not as smooth down there.  I've done about 50 miles, most of it here.  I also have a large square closed parking lot to practice my turns ( no cars, as its roped off for the winter).  I know, I'm living the dream.  Don't be too jealous though, it's blowing a gale out there right now, no EUC time this morning. Maybe later.

"where are de women's, " we need more women's (blues brothers miss quote)

passed two euc riders the other night.  Both women I think ( it was dark) they weren't friendly, no response to my hi, or hola. ? Haven't seen any others here.

I have always been fascinated with things that glide. I started off with multirotors (back when you had to build them yourself from multiple kits) and did a fair bit of aerial video. Being quite heavily into the hobby, I watched a lot of my fellow flyers doing exciting new things, and one day I happened to see a video of somebody flying a drone whilst on a Solowheel, and I was blown away to find out that these machines even existed. It's not a hoverboard, I thought, but I bet it feels like one :)

Within weeks I had ascertained that Solowheel were unnecessarily expensive, and more reasonably priced but well-reviewed Airwheel had just found distributorship in the UK. I bought my beloved Airwheel X5 when it was on special offer and set out to comprehensively test its abilities. It took me literally everywhere - my use of the car virtually disappeared, and I had found something I really loved doing every day, even more than aerial filming.

3 years, and nearly 8,000 miles later my X5 battery was seriously running out, though it had done very well to get as far as it did - I had had almost 2000 hours on it. Initially I was looking to replace its battery, but ideally I wanted something a bit faster, and with considerably more power, so I could more comfortably ride paths and pavements that the Airwheel couldn't easily tackle. So I began looking for an upgrade. Airwheel don't do anything that goes faster than 8 mph. It took about 3 minutes of watching @EUC Extreme on his Gotway before I decided I badly needed a wheel like that.

Commenced the savings, waited an interminable amount of time for someone in this country to get them in stock, and finally got my MS18V3. I have been gloriously happy on that ever since, and try and go for one or 2 rides every day. I do all my shopping on my wheel, and regularly get round the local lake path with it, and sometimes go out for extended day trips to my favourite places, mostly in South East UK. For off-road stuff I am very close to Queen Elizabeth Country Park, which has some difficult downhill BMX tracks, and miles and miles of challenging woodland riding. Also close by is Butser Hill, the tallest hill in Hampshire, so there is much fun to be had up there too, as long as you can avoid the rabbit holes :) And there is some really good riding to be had along the coastal paths in Southsea and Portsmouth.

What a wheel ! What a hobby ! What a time to be alive ! 

CBR

I saw a kid (in their 20s) riding one in my complex about a 1.5 - 2 years ago.  I thought "woah," immediately Googled it, started reading up on it, and then bought an Airwheel X3 from Amazon based on the reviews (it doesn't look like any are selling on Amazon these days).  I've since purchased a Ninebot One E+ and it's my daily ride to the gym and grocery store.  I have also taught my gf how to ride one and now she has and rides one as well.  There.  I've done my part to increase the female EUC population! 

I'm 50 years old, addicted to mountain bikes and I got to have 10, where I live there are many parking problems for motorcycles and cars and after a traffic ticket, my anger made me look for yotube small electric vehicles, I finally decided For a wheel, for the weight and maneuverability, watching the videos of Pies Speedy United Kingdom I decided in June for the ninebot e +, but I need a little more cruising speed and now so I have gotway Msuper 3v

Male 31yo here. I got into EUCs about a year ago when I first saw hover boards being used around the city. I thought they looked like fun but didn't like the small wheel. I wanted to be able to get up curbs without hoping off. A bit of research on the interwebs and I found some videos of people riding EUCs and I was like "That is Perfect!!! I can even lean like being on a bike which will increase the fun factor". I ordered a cheap and nasty $300 wheel and told myself that if I used it enough over a year, I would invest in a proper wheel. 1 year later after using it almost every day to walk the dog, go to the shops, cruise the grounds at work or just ride for fun, I have a new MSuper3s on the way.

63 yr old going on 25!! Over my life I have done the following sports/hobbies

Radio control model planes, cars, boats & helicopters. Windsurfing, sailing, water & snow skiing, climbing, playing the cornet, tenner horn, piano, accordion, unicycling, juggling, kite buggying, kite surfing, blowkarting, gliding, ice skating, rollerblading, table tennis, and still looking for more things to try

I had a go on a segway in Mallorca three years ago and saw EUC's on YouTube soon after and decided I would like to own one.

Went to the Gadget show at the NEC last year and had my first try on an EUC, almost managed to ride it holding onto the shoulder of one of the demonstrator guys.

After months of research I finally decided on the Ninebot One, ordered it and within a few hrs was riding it quite confidently.

After owning it for 3 months and having done nearly 400 miles, I'm now practicing reversing and one footed. My favourite place to ride is the promenade at Blackpool where I have seen two other EUC riders on different models.

Its a pity we can't legally ride them on the roads or pavements!

1 hour ago, John Eucist said:

Do you guys think the (high) price of eucs is the sole reason for this (high) age bias or could there be some other factor?

I definitely think so.  When I ride on the National Mall in DC, I constantly, and I mean constantly, get comments along the lines of "that is so cool!" from every age range.  Everyone thinks they're cool, so there's got to be some limiting constraint, and I don't think learning difficulty is the deterrent.  Based on the age demographics of this poll, I'd think that if older people are game enough to practice and learn how to ride, younger people would be even more game.

EDIT:  I just thought of another possible explanation.  Message boards are old technology, perhaps the younger demographic just doesn't peruse them.  Today it's all about Snapchat and Instagram.  Even Facebook is considered old.

MONEY, AGE, OR MEDIA CHOICE.

young people have plenty of money for the things they want,. Just look at all the hot hatch owners and the thousands of €$£ they spend, . No it's not money  and most have given up saving for a house (around here anyway) as the entry point is out of reach, so they live with parents, paying nominal rent and banking dosh for the things they CAN afford.

danger? No. Kids do dangerous stuff all the time, and when they fall they bounce right back up, not like is old farts with creaky joints, bad backs, and brittle bones.

media? Forums vs Instagram/nit Twitter/ fartbook.  I'm not sure.  There are a gergillion vids on YouTube of EUC stuff, and they are all over that.  Maybe not looking for EUC stuff, but who hasn't strayed off their original search on YouTube because something shiny popped up in the " up next" column.  Happens to me every time (damn it !!!)

Cool/ uncool factor? Are we cool or just a heard of grey hairs trying to recapture the freedom of our youth, or access it for the first time? Hard to say.  To paraphrase @Juggler I'm 54 going on 18.  I have no idea what it is to be older, I still feel like a kid.  And when I don't I guess I'll EUC off a cliff, or try skydiving without a parachute.  Who wants to get old? Body? Inevitable, but mind? NEVER !!!

On 09/11/2016 at 1:50 PM, Rehab1 said:

Being a past keyboardist in a rock band your occupation is of great interest to me!

Wait, wait wait... Back the EUC up! 

We need YouTube clips of this rock band, don't we @Hunka Hunka Burning Love?

5 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Wait, wait wait... Back the EUC up! 

We need YouTube clips of this rock band, don't we @Hunka Hunka Burning Love?

OMG...that goes back to Bob Seger and Deep Purple days where the Hammond B3 and Moog Synthesizer were popular. The Hammond was an awesome organ that produced a very distinct sound with it's complex tone wheels and Leslie speaker system. I need to pull out the old movies we just converted to DVD.

55 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

OMG...that goes back to Bob Seger and Deep Purple days where the Hammond B3 and Moog Synthesizer were popular. The Hammond was an awesome organ that produced a very distinct sound with it's complex tone wheels and Leslie speaker system. I need to pull out the old movies we just converted to DVD.

I really got into "MIDI" back in the 80s and owned a lot of Roland / Korg / Yamaha / Oberheim hardware.  Loved all the analog sounds but they mostly didn't have MIDI so I had to settle for "hybrids" from Roland and Oberheim.  Nowadays most classic synths have been recreated by emulation via software but obviously it's just not the same.  Loved the organ in Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade of Pale.  I believe it was a B3.

9 minutes ago, John Eucist said:

Nowadays most classic synths have been recreated by emulation via software but obviously it's just not the same.

Oh I dunno - it is quite a lot the same :) Have you heard Arturia's Moog plugins ? I'd say most analogue synth modellers really do sound astonishingly like the real things, and if they don't, they sound better (ie without the hiss and tuning problems etc). 

Who'd have thought we could ever get 2 TB303's, 1 TR808, and one TR909 in a £10 ipad app (Propellerheads Rebirth) ? And they all sound exactly like the originals, and have the same controls.

And check out virtual synthesizers like Omnisphere - 200 leagues above any single keyboard or synthesizer ever built...

CBR

7 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Oh I dunno - it is quite a lot the same :) Have you heard Arturia's Moog plugins ? I'd say most analogue synth modellers really do sound astonishingly like the real things, and if they don't, they sound better (ie without the hiss and tuning problems etc). 

Who'd have thought we could ever get 2 TB303's, 1 TR808, and one TR909 in a £10 ipad app (Propellerheads Rebirth) ? And they all sound exactly like the originals, and have the same controls.

And check out virtual synthesizers like Omnisphere - 200 leagues above any single keyboard or synthesizer ever built...

CBR

Wow it's so awesome to discover that there are people in this euc forum that are also interested this sort of stuff.  Yeah several years back I was trying out all these new VST technology.  I have played with all the stuff you mentioned above.  I started out using Propellerheads Reason 3.0 (which didn't allow third party VSTs) then switched to FL Studio then stopped altogether.

1 hour ago, John Eucist said:

I really got into "MIDI" back in the 80s and owned a lot of Roland / Korg / Yamaha / Oberheim hardware.  Loved all the analog sounds but they mostly didn't have MIDI so I had to settle for "hybrids" from Roland and Oberheim.  Nowadays most classic synths have been recreated by emulation via software but obviously it's just not the same.  Loved the organ in Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade of Pale.  I believe it was a B3.

Yes A Whiter Shade of Pale has a B3. Very distinct. I owned Roland keyboards, Arp String Ensembles, Fender Rhodes but never an Oberheim. 

I still have tons of midi equipment stored in my pole barn. I need to clean house someday. Most of the stuff is intelligent light projectors and digital sound systems controlled by midi interface.  My system (Intelisense) was designed for pediatric therapy patients to keep their interest and incorporated light beams and floor mounted photo sensors. When a therapy child interrupted one of 8 light beams during a therapeutic activity a preprogrammed light and sound effect would turn on, kind of a cause and effect scenario. I also used different interactive switches that controlled the system as well. along with wireless EMG that activated the lights and sounds when a muscle contraction exceeded  a certain threshold. Fun times!

IMG_0441.GIF

6 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Yes A Whiter Shade of Pale has a B3. Very distinct. I owned Roland keyboards, Arp String Ensembles, Fender Rhodes but never an Oberheim. 

I still have tons of midi equipment stored in my pole barn. I need to clean house someday. Most of the stuff is intelligent light projectors and digital sound systems controlled by midi interface.  My system (Intelisense) was designed for pediatric therapy patients to keep their interest and incorporated light beams and floor mounted photo sensors. When a therapy child interrupted one of 8 light beams during a therapeutic activity a preprogrammed light and sound effect would turn on, kind of a cause and effect scenario. I also used different interactive switches that controlled the system as well. along with wireless EMG that activated the lights and sounds when a muscle contraction exceeded  a certain threshold. Fun times!

IMG_0441.GIF

Well I never expected all this retro electronic organ stuff here.  But it makes interesting reading.  I love the sound of the Hammond B3.  When I tell people it's in almost everything, somewhere, they ask, "what songs?" But I can never quote more than one or two.  Then I listen to the radio, or my iPop and go, "there it is again". Of course I may be calling any organ riff or solo H B3 when it isn't.  I'm not a musician , but I do love that sound.

@Rehab1 why is your paediatric therapy stuff in a barn and not being used  with the kids ? Old hat?  broken?   Maybe you should dust it off and donate it to a needy cause, or sell it on eBay, 

10 hours ago, John Eucist said:

Loved the organ in Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade of Pale.  I believe it was a B3.

Rick Wakeman and John Lord were so skilled playing the B3 and synthesizers. 

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

@Rehab1 why is your paediatric therapy stuff in a barn and not being used  with the kids ? Old hat?  broken?   Maybe you should dust it off and donate it to a needy cause, or sell it on eBay

I have donated a lot of the equipment to children's homes, multisensory and autistic therapy centers. The equipment required that a room be exclusively dedicated to Intelisense and it was also somewhat complicated to program for the average person. I just lack the time anymore to travel from institution to institution to program and repair the donated equipment. 

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Yes yes video up!  @Rehab1 you were a past keyboardist in a rock band? :popcorn:

Nothin to it! Just play at a really high ..."what did you say?"....decibel level in a concrete basement stuffed with viIbrating overhead ductwork and you too can be a rock n roll star:clap3:

Archived