Too much beeping

lubokkanev

I have the Gotway mcm5 v2 and the beeps are way too loud. I've switched the first two alarms off, but turning the wheel on/off, lifting it and toggling the headlight all fire a loud beep. How do you deal with that?

I'm thinking about destroying the beeper all together, but then I might cutoff. Are there any good solutions like using an app that toggles haptic feedback or beeps on your headphones?

Better than not hearing beeps, which is an issue on higher speed models... There is no way around the beeps really.

Removing the piezo is just downright dumb and reckless. You will get used to them. We all deal with the beeps but i saw i post here some time ago about a guy who made a button to toggle beeps on or off for not hearing them when he powers up and lifts his euc. Don't exactly know how to find it though. 

Still if on forgets to toggle the beeps back on it's pretty much the same as having the piezo removed all together, and it only takes forgetting it one time to do a faceplant.

Edited by xiiijojjo
  • Like 1

Fellow noise sensitive person with good hearing here, Hi @amomymous!

I installed a switch in series on my 16X top panel to disconnect the beeper when needed. I like it a lot better that way.
When EUC World connects to the app especially, is ridiculous (7 or 8 consecutive beeps)

A few rare times I forgot to turn it back on and the tilt-back very helpfully reminded me of that fact at 50 kph.
As long as it's manual, you will forget sometimes to turn it back on.

I would recommend this mod if you can activate a tilt-back as second safety system. Otherwise it's too risky because you only need to forget one time.

• Like 1

I'm totally talking out my behind here, but I suspect each beep on connection is an "acknowledgment" from the wheel that it has exchanged one or more pieces of data with the device it just connected to. I base this on the observation that when I set a parameter using EUC World, my wheel beeps once. If I had designed EUC World (or any app that could change wheel settings), I would query the wheel's current state and then send adjustments as needed so the wheel is setup according to the settings in my app and that could easily result in multiple beeps as the app asks for and receives/sends data from/to the wheel.

But. There are other less obnoxious ways to acknowledge data transfer (flash the headlight or RGBs?) and it would certainly be nice if it was an option.

On 4/20/2021 at 8:07 PM, supercurio said:

Fellow noise sensitive person with good hearing here, Hi @amomymous!

I installed a switch in series on my 16X top panel to disconnect the beeper when needed. I like it a lot better that way.
When EUC World connects to the app especially, is ridiculous (7 or 8 consecutive beeps)

A few rare times I forgot to turn it back on and the tilt-back very helpfully reminded me of that fact at 50 kph.
As long as it's manual, you will forget sometimes to turn it back on.

I would recommend this mod if you can activate a tilt-back as second safety system. Otherwise it's too risky because you only need to forget one time.

Hi @supercurio! That sounds like a nice compromise. Is there an explanation somewhere how to do it? Thanks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, amomymous said:

Hi @supercurio! That sounds like a nice compromise. Is there an explanation somewhere how to do it? Thanks!

Not especially, but I can document it next time I work with the wheel.
Easy enough if you're not worried about drilling a hole in the shell and have some basic soldering equipment.

3 hours ago, amomymous said:

One thing I found is that if I use the official GotWay app, it doesn't beep on connect, lighting and setting changes.

Interesting discovery!

• Like 1

at work I install a reverse alarm on our machinery, but while building/testing the 120db alarm is too loud, so I cover them with electrical tape to lower the volume. something similar may be a solution for you, keep the beep but less of it :)

• 3 weeks later...