rider etiquette in sharing the streets, roads, and bike lanes...share your thoughts on what you do on the road...

bpong

40 minutes ago, bpong said:

lately,  im thinking of replacing my cycle bell with and electronic bell cause they are alittle or alot louder and you have a choice of sounds and ringers.

27 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

This is pointless in a noisy populous city such as NYC, as most here will even ignore ear-screeching ambulance sirens.

One possible solution to this quite under-reported, but widely felt issue

:D

• Like 2

I learned all that stuff in kindergarten and still try to abide by it, one need not be an ahole. If nothing else, you're representing yourself. And I personally dislike that cyclists around here *never* announce themselves to us or to pedestrians for that matter… so I do my best not to emulate their behavior.

My style is to slow down so that I would overtake at about a jogging rate, ring bell (I have a very loud bell that rings twice per activation), announce intention ("I'm going to be on your LEFT/RIGHT"), pass and thank them as I go by. If the first "on your left/right" doesn't seem to be getting through, I keep repeating "left left LEFT LEFT!!" while slowing further and mentally prepping for the emergency stop or avoidance. I've thought lately that it would be better to be pre-positioned on the side I'm going to pass before ringing the bell so that directionality of the bell gives them an idea where the danger is approaching from… when I ring directly behind them they seem more confused.

Motorists... my first car was a 73 Honda Civic (first release after the 3 cylinder Suzuki model) and I figured I was in a beer can and would automatically lose any battles with any other object including a bike. On the wheel, I don't even have a beer can to make those initial crunching noises—it'll be my bones. I walk across busy or complex intersections.

I'm still getting waved ceaselessly by cars that want me to move in front of them ....and I refuse. I go out of my way to ride behind their vehicle and go around. 

Also, I'm now seeing pedestrians stop, frozen in the middle of the road/bike path/sidewalk. If it's on the sidewalk, I will slow down to about 5-10mph, as I view it my fault for being on the sidewalk. If it's on the bike path or road, I head straight for them, act like I'm going to hit them, scream like I'm about to get in a wreck, then avoid them at the last second.

On 4/19/2021 at 3:52 PM, bpong said:

has anyone ever considered how to treat other users of the road, street, or bike lanes ?

Well unless you've never actually used a road, street or bike lane riding an EUC, car, bike, walking etc... I don't see how it would be possible not to consider how to treat other users. How could you function in these environments without having considered those interactions on some level?

So I don't really understand the premise of the question.

The bike lanes in NYC are a s-show these days. Roads shared with cars actually seem safer to me when i ride. I usually go between both. but every single one of my close calls have all been on bike lanes. My favorite is little children riding bikes with their parents and neither the child nor the parent are paying attention. So dangerous around these parts. 

I just try to be respectful and as safe as possible. If I need to announce, I will announce the side I am passing on. Everyone has earbuds and crap in anyway, nobody hears or really pays attention. So I try to just be safe.

• Like 2

I'm at the other end of the spectrum to some of the previous commenters. I live in a relatively small city of about 100,000 people and at last count there seem to be about 4 EUC riders in the entire city. Most pedestrians, motorists and cyclists here have never seen an EUC, and other PEVs (with the exception of eBikes) are also very rare. I commonly ride up to 500km (300+ miles) per week, so chances are good that if anyone comes into contact with an EUC rider, it's me. So, unlike riders in places where EUC's are common, I figure that being exceptionally courteous around others will help pave the way to how EUCs are viewed here in the future. Having an extensive competitive road cycling background, I'm very good with situational awareness and always like to know what's going on around me at all times, including traffic approaching from behind. When approaching slower traffic (pedestrians, cyclists etc.) whether on road or paths, I slow right down, indicate my presence and where I'll be passing ("I'm just going to sneak by on your left"), thank them as I go by, and accelerate again. When dogs are concerned (which is very often), I'll slow to barely more than walking pace - I've already had one little dog dart out in front of me (not a big fan of those retractable leashes!) and I nailed it with my foot and pedal. It won't take too many incidents like that for EUCs to get a bad name here, so I'm really careful now.

When traffic approaches from behind, I'll determine how much room they're giving me and will ride accordingly (I've done this for years on a bike). Commonly, big pickup trucks like to give as little room as possible, so I'll give myself extra space by taking up more lane as they approach me. As they get close, I'll move to the right again and give myself the space between us that they didn't want to give me. I'll give a small wave of my left hand to all passing motorists to acknowledge them, just before they start to pass. So far, I haven't had any problems with motorists with the exception of people not wanting to pass (overly cautious drivers who don't seem to know how much room they need to safely pass, and therefore cause a bit of a traffic jam behind me - this is also common while cycling), or drivers whipping out their phones to get photos or video as I ride by (seriously people! I'm contemplating taking record of their license plates and reporting these; it really annoys me).

Having said all that, I do get a kick out of watching videos of aggressive road-clearing tactics by riders in big cities! I'm hoping it never comes to that here.

• Like 3

I live in a city of about 130,000 and as far as I know there are 2 or 3 EUCs. I take the same stance: we are the introduction to this form of transport. I also ask politely if I can sneak by, also slow right down for dogs and also find small dogs on extendable leashes are my worst EUC encounter nightmare. 

I’m not a cyclist and hardly ever ride on the road though. But I do ride on the footpath and if there are pedestrians I generally match their speed. On shared pathways I try to behave slightly more courteously than most cyclists. I also lobby the city council to consider PEVs in city planning whenever possible. Transport isn’t just cars and bikes!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2021 at 1:12 PM, VikB said:

Well unless you've never actually used a road, street or bike lane riding an EUC, car, bike, walking etc... I don't see how it would be possible not to consider how to treat other users. How could you function in these environments without having considered those interactions on some level?

So I don't really understand the premise of the question.

R u kidding me ?  R u courteous to others using the route,  or (like some old cyclists) do you act like you are the only person that deserves to use the route ?

On 4/23/2021 at 9:09 PM, Mantraguy said:

I'm at the other end of the spectrum to some of the previous commenters. I live in a relatively small city of about 100,000 people and at last count there seem to be about 4 EUC riders in the entire city. Most pedestrians, motorists and cyclists here have never seen an EUC, and other PEVs (with the exception of eBikes) are also very rare. I commonly ride up to 500km (300+ miles) per week, so chances are good that if anyone comes into contact with an EUC rider, it's me. So, unlike riders in places where EUC's are common, I figure that being exceptionally courteous around others will help pave the way to how EUCs are viewed here in the future. Having an extensive competitive road cycling background, I'm very good with situational awareness and always like to know what's going on around me at all times, including traffic approaching from behind. When approaching slower traffic (pedestrians, cyclists etc.) whether on road or paths, I slow right down, indicate my presence and where I'll be passing ("I'm just going to sneak by on your left"), thank them as I go by, and accelerate again. When dogs are concerned (which is very often), I'll slow to barely more than walking pace - I've already had one little dog dart out in front of me (not a big fan of those retractable leashes!) and I nailed it with my foot and pedal. It won't take too many incidents like that for EUCs to get a bad name here, so I'm really careful now.

When traffic approaches from behind, I'll determine how much room they're giving me and will ride accordingly (I've done this for years on a bike). Commonly, big pickup trucks like to give as little room as possible, so I'll give myself extra space by taking up more lane as they approach me. As they get close, I'll move to the right again and give myself the space between us that they didn't want to give me. I'll give a small wave of my left hand to all passing motorists to acknowledge them, just before they start to pass. So far, I haven't had any problems with motorists with the exception of people not wanting to pass (overly cautious drivers who don't seem to know how much room they need to safely pass, and therefore cause a bit of a traffic jam behind me - this is also common while cycling), or drivers whipping out their phones to get photos or video as I ride by (seriously people! I'm contemplating taking record of their license plates and reporting these; it really annoys me).

Having said all that, I do get a kick out of watching videos of aggressive road-clearing tactics by riders in big cities! I'm hoping it never comes to that here.

You got the correct thinking imo....carry on riding....

I think these things come naturally if you have a drivers license, the same type of rules driving a car on roads apply to lighter vehicles as well, all type of roads be it a bike path or car road have rules and everyone should read up about them.

1. If you live in a country with right-street traffic you pass on the left, if you live in a country with left-street traffic you pass on the right.

2. You pass when you deem it's safe to do so, you don't pass when you are unsure, if the situation requires it you slow down, if you need to you speed up. Taking risks is not worth the possible consequences.

3. Always look behind for incoming traffic before passing, someone might already be passing you.

4. Don't pass or go really fast at blind spots, if there is a curve or corner where you have no sight beyond slow down as you don't know what's coming from there.

5. Always be ready to act and assume others don't see you, expect most cyclists to not have a drivers license and not be aware of the rules and adapt accordingly.

6. Be extra careful around children as they are impulsive.

• Like 2

The subject is interesting. this should be read by all mayors, it is useful for the growing number of EUCs in the future. Unless I'm wrong, I hope the laws and traders won't limit this increase.
I am in a small town of 30,000 inhabitants THE ONLY EUC. All ignore the place of the EUC, they discover an extraterrestrial device. There are hundreds of bikes insulting me (aI'm an old biker too) and a few pedestrians who adore me, I try to circulate with the impression of a city guinea pig. Today I laugh more often, with scooters that understand me. I hope to meet other EUCs soon.