Brands

Boxcutter

What up peeps. New to this forum. Here to learn something. The question i have is why when searching for the brands of boards "not" to buy. you can't find anything on the web of the ones you should stay away from. But you can find the brands that you should buy from. 

18 minutes ago, Boxcutter said:

What up peeps. New to this forum. Here to learn something. The question i have is why when searching for the brands of boards "not" to buy. you can't find anything on the web of the ones you should stay away from. But you can find the brands that you should buy from. 

Hi @Boxcutter I can tell you that Milbay Australia only supply high quality brands of Milbay in fast generation 2 and Esway if you are wanting a good quality Generation 1 unicycle, you can see the range here http://www.milbay.com.au/SBV Milbay Australia's  recommendations come from real world testing and evaluation over many thousands of kilometres.

I also recommend you purchase from recognised distributors in your region as you will receive the best advice and after sales service.

Message me if you want some advice on which unicycle to buy for your intended purchase.

If it just says 'smart balance wheel' and no other branding, you prabably have a generic one straight from china. If it works fine don't worry about it, but know that the chance it will fail/break is higher than more expensive brands. Also never overcharge it/ leave it unattended while charging, because the cheap china batteries CAN catch fire/malfunction during charging, but this rarely happends.

That's what I was afraid of. It gets charged outside in the yard and gets unplugged as soon as it's done charging. If and not sure if the batteries on these things are bad is there a place that sells up to par batteries that you won't have to worry about 

52 minutes ago, Boxcutter said:

I'm sorry I should of mentioned that we bought one for my son for Christmas. And was looking to see if it a good one are bad one to have. On the box it says smart  balance wheel. 

@Boxcutter Is this a 2 wheel "hover board" that you purchased. If it was then you are in the thousands around the world now questioning their online purchase. I expect many think that they have saved $$$ through a direct purchase but now they find themselves with no support and no way of determining if the item they purchased is electrically safe,

I guess the maybe USD100 saved means nothing now that purchasers do not know if they have put their residence and family at risk. Perhaps the "hoverboard" will make people realise that importation and sales and warranty is a profession and not a hobby to make a quick couple of bucks.

The only way to be confident is to purchase a new battery, charger and check that the charger connection meets electrical standards for your region.

It will be interesting to see how Australian insurance companies approach losses from fires caused by non certified products.

In my country Australia for instance, Importer/wholesale/distributors must ensure products sold in our markets meet Australian compliance and standards. This compliance regime has been in place for a very long time (many decades) and has ensured only high quality compliant electrical devices enter the Australian market place.

If an Australian citizen purchases internationally online then the purchaser assumes all risk and lose all consumer protections as the purchaser has become the importer, if the goods are on sold the original importer holds all the risk.

The best option is to purchase from a retailer in your home country.

3 hours ago, Boxcutter said:

I'm sorry I should of mentioned that we bought one for my son for Christmas. And was looking to see if it a good one are bad one to have. On the box it says smart  balance wheel. 

http://smart-balancewheel.com/

Welcome,  @Boxcutter ! The address above may be the company that makes your 2 wheel self balancing scooter. The website has a contact us section and may be able to answer your questions.

8 hours ago, Colestien said:

I just saw on the news, a HoverBoard caught fire at the Mall!  It was at the point of sale, still in the box!!! That's crazy.

holy cow!

I saw a teenager carrying one in his arms in the street the other day, Next time I'll try not to shout 'bomb!!!' and dive to the ground:D

I'm worried about backlash.  Keep in mind it is the nature of man to fear things he does't know, and we all know to also make a profit.   When people don't know (as the staff here does) about batteries, it is easy to assume there is no difference between  EUC's and Hoverboards.   I don't like saying it, but there really isn't much difference.  It is only because the "profit monster" has been kept under-control with our EUCs.  If there was a big drive in the public to ""have to" own a EUC,  I believe we would be having the same problem.  You need to ask, If Gotway, Kingsong, 9bot had the market to sell over a 1000 a  month, would not some Bean Counter show that  saving  1/2 cent on each unit would give their company a "big" profit increase?  

7 hours ago, Jurgen said:

holy cow!

I saw a teenager carrying one in his arms in the street the other day, Next time I'll try not to shout 'bomb!!!' and dive to the ground:D

Just a couple of hours ago I saw a hoverboard on display for € 399,- at Decathlon Antwerp, Belgium. So it seems the 'rolling bomb' news hasn't been picked up in Belgium yet.

But I have the impression that, compared to other countries, safety issues in Belgium need a bit more critical mass before they become politically relevant.

Archived