Tire Mounting and Balancing

Wise Rides

I recently received my new V11 and noticed that the tire has a wobble.  The rim looks strait, but the tire wobbles (visual check by lifting the wheel off the ground and observing).  It becomes an issue when I exceed 18mph and I get wobbles when I try to go faster.  

Any advice on how to fix this issue?

I plan to deflate the tire, work the tire around the rim (pushing/pressing) to make sure its seated correctly and reinflate.

Not sure if it's better to take the tire off and remount.  

Thoughts / Ideas?

Deflating and recentering works well enough, no need to take the tire off completely. Note that it usually takes a few rounds to get the tire aligned straight, so don’t lose your hope if the first one doesn’t fix it!

All of my tires on all my wheels have never been truly centered i never consider it an issue and i feel unaffected by it but i hear it mentioned all the time. 

Now i'm not saying that an uncentered tire is not an issue, but it certainly has never been for me and i can't help but wonder if maybe people just think that the uncentered tire is at fault for the wobbles when in reality the real problem could be tire pressure? 

Before taking the wheel apart and recentering the tire i can recommend doing something a lot easier first just to rule this theory out for me and others as well. 

Try to simply deflate the tire slightly by a few psi and see if the wobble persists. if it does then it is likely the uncentered tire that is at fault for the wobbles. 

I suspect uncentered tires are mistakenly blamed for wobbles when really tire pressure is the problem...But since i have always had all my tires uncentered and have no issues with wobbles, besides from very hard emergency braking, i suspect we may all collectively wrongfully blame uncentered tires rather than what i suspect the real problem is. 

This is just a theory so go easy on me :whistling:

I try out the psi first and let you know.  I have it at 34psi now, manual said 40 so I feel like I'm running it at a good psi already, but maybe 32 will feel different.  Also, I'm a newbie and over 20mph feels like warp speed, so it may be my experience level too.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 3:37 PM, Wise Rides said:

I try out the psi first and let you know.  I have it at 34psi now, manual said 40 so I feel like I'm running it at a good psi already, but maybe 32 will feel different.  Also, I'm a newbie and over 20mph feels like warp speed, so it may be my experience level too.

I was riding the other day and got  up to 24mph (38kph) and didn't feel any wobble.  I didn't do anything to the tire from the last time I road.  Same 34psi and same less-than-perfect alignment on the rim.  My conclusion is that the wobble I felt before was me and not the wheel.  However, I don't see the harm in trying to correct the tire alignment as much as possible and perhaps reducing psi for the riding conditions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wise Rides said:

I was riding the other day and got  up to 24mph (38kph) and didn't feel any wobble.  I didn't do anything to the tire from the last time I road.  Same 34psi and same less-than-perfect alignment on the rim.  My conclusion is that the wobble I felt before was me and not the wheel.  However, I don't see the harm in trying to correct the tire alignment as much as possible and perhaps reducing psi for the riding conditions.

It's normal for beginners to get wobbles even at low speed. We are to rigide on our wheel and usually do not have a good balance of weight on the pedals. When I started I would get wobble at 9mph (15kph). Then without realizing it I would hit max speed on my One E+ without anything. Guess I'll get the same thing when starting on my MSP soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 4:45 AM, Wise Rides said:

i experience the same 'wobble 'around 30km/h (also sort off beginner rider) 
did you try lower tire pressure?

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 8:37 AM, hannesd said:

i just went out myself and tested some lower tire pressure, from 2.2 bar to 2.0 bar.

i did also stiffen up my suspension, so i don't know wich of the 2 made it better :-p

edit : i lowered pressure to 1.8 bar, and it's even better! maybe go to 1.7 bar but that's minimum pressure i'm risking.

Edited by hannesd
  • Like 1

2 bar on brand new begode ex, giving wobble over 35km/h. Tyre is not aligned perfectly but tried to deflate and reposition multiple times, no success.

used to ride msx at 50km/h with no problem. Tyre looks perfectly aligned.

Have to be honest that I'm still not comfortable with EX, huge difference with MSX.

any suggestions welcome.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 8:37 AM, hannesd said:

Let go of the upper part of the wheel (pad area often) if you get into wobbles... And accelerate, braking makes it worse

• Like 1