Have i lost the spark?

xiiijojjo

Maybe another EV? Trails? Ride with friends? Could be just a phase, or you might be moving on... just be sure to keep your eyes open and try the next thing that looks fun. Whatever you do, get some spark back. Life is too short.

• Like 3

For me riding to become “boring” would definitely require falling to a deep depression or other illness... But for you it might indeed boil down to not having a similar challenge or the general riding experience you used to.

If you are a 16” (or so called 17”) rider, you simply need to have such a wheel. A new wheel would surely boost up the interest for a while anyway.

Another thing could be accessories. I don’t remember what the tip I gave to you was, but for me, studded honeycomb pedals and (DIY) pads make the wheel feel much more like a natural extension to my body. Definitely something that makes the rider feel much more fun!

• Like 1

Thanks for the concern and suggestions guys but i have been depressed for more than a decade and have learned to live with it so it's definitely not that. 

I am for sure getting a 16 incher next time as i really miss that nimble experience every time i ride. I felt more in control.

and yes @mrelwood i really need to get some studded pedals as i really don't feel secure on this terrible gotway griptape that has already mostly deteriorated. 

• Like 1

Could it be that you used it in a utility fashion for long enough that it has now become an object viewed as such? Its no secret for me that when I enjoy something and then begin to push myself to get better or begin to rely on it, it looses its value. Have you taken up any other hobbies to replace the time you spent on an euc? If not, perhaps you are just simply feeling some depression. One mustnt look too hard to find a plethora of reasons for that this past cpla years. Maybe its just time you get an mten and a bicycle? Ride the bike to work and go back to using the euc for fun.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

Heck, if you don't want to ride, don't ride, I think Shane brought up a good point, if you used your wheels for utility work so much that it took the fun out of it is entirely possible.  Just sounds like time to try something else, maybe keep a wheel around for when you do want to ride.

I'm no doctor but the best thing I've done at age 48 was to get my hormones checked, they were way out of whack, even guys in their 30's can have an imbalance, now 2 yrs later, I'm on hormones and feel much better.

• Like 3

how`s the spark for the rest of your life? is the bad voodoo feeling general or specific to EUC? maybe try hooking up with other riders? or try another very different wheel? or try something completely new ( onewheel, pogo stick,etc...). one counter intuitive way to maybe re-ignite the spark - take a shower every morning and at the end, slowly ease the hot water to zero ( cold only ). it will feel very unpleasant initially but don`t stop - take the time to work through it. start with 1min of cold exposure then build from there. breath deeply and forcefully while you are getting the cold shock. when you get out of the shower, you will feel very alive and this feeling can persist. sounds crazy but cold water might just re-ignite that fire. try it for a week and report back!

i hope you can relight that spark...

Edited by redsnapper
  • Like 2

I did something utilitarian with my wheel today. I needed to get my 48” walk behind mower across town, so I put that puppy in high gear and rode behind it. I usually mow in second. Fifth gear books along around 5 mph. Did some mowing and rode back.

Was fun. Left the mower there. Did some B.W. Practice on the return sunset trip.

Best,

• Like 1

For me personally, the actual riding is only a piece of the puzzle. The wheel represents a conduit to new experiences i wouldn't have without it. Whether its shooting a fun video, hanging out with friends, exploring a new area, trying a new restaurant. The wheel itself is not necessarily what is fun, it is a conduit to get me to the fun. The amount of things i have seen and done in the past 2 years that i otherwise would have never considered going or doing is absolutely astounding. 

Maybe you just need to find a new outlet for the machine to bring you to. Try riding to a new restaurant you have never been to and ordering something wierd off the menu you wouldn't normally eat. Or maybe start a little vlog to share your trips and experiences with friends and kind internet strangers. Drive your wheel to a state park and ride it to the top of a mountain. The wheel itself is just the most convenient conduit to fun, its not necessarily the fun itself.

I hope you find your joy again, but if not thats okay to! Im sure you will soon find something new that brings you the same joy as the unicycle once did. Until then, keep your eyes open! 

Edited by GoGeorgeGo
  • Like 3

On 4/17/2021 at 10:47 PM, xiiijojjo said:

But honestly i feel like i have lost that spark of excitement, and now it's no longer a fun machine that can make the world so much bigger.
It's become a small, one person car with no luggage destined for doing a to b runs to the supermarket.

What is happening to me? I fear i am becoming a " grown up " with a dead stare in my eyes seeing only grey, not seeing the fun in things but rather boiling them down to their level of utility? No offence to people older than me on this forum y'all have some youthful spirits.

To me it's irrelevant if you want to ride an EUC or not as long as you are passionate about something in your life. If you are not excited about anything at all...well that's a problem and could be a sign of depression or some other issue...which would not be shocking at this particularly stressful moment. If you are excited about other things and just not EUCs that's fine/normal. Things change and the more you do something the easier it is for it to get stale.

If some other activity/hobby/sport is generating a lot of interest for you right now go for it! Use the EUC for transport as required. See what happens. :thumbup:

Well I just had a big little adventure. Rode about seven miles out of town to an old Inn to make a reservation for a B-day dinner for the DGF and I. It’s not a restaurant per se, but they’re a French couple who “do dinners”. I’ve never eaten there, but I thought it would be a nice thing to do for her, as we don’t go out much anymore. Trip out was nice except for a school bus that  passed me in a blind curve with *surprize*,  oncoming traffic.  
 Had met them briefly a couple of weeks ago when I dropped off an old French ten speed that I got at the dumpsters a few years back that I’d never gotten around to fixing up. I was told he fixes old bikes, so it was an introduction. I wanted to inquire about dinner in person, thus the ride. We had a nice chat and they were impressed with the wheel and the fact that I had ridden all the way out there.

I decided to come back a different way. When I got to the railroad tracks, I stopped to leak behind an electrical hut and it occurred to me that going by way of the tracks would be a shortcut. There was a dirt road beside the tracks and since it’s morel season, I thought I’d keep an eye out. Well the road petered out and the ballast was too rough to ride on, so I started walking. After a mile or so, I began to question the wisdom of my route choice. On one side was the river, the other, swamp.

I figured I had at least another mile to go when along comes a track truck. Guy stops to ask me what’s up and what’s that thing I got. I explained and asked if he could give me a lift to the next little town. Much to my surprise he said I could ride on the back bumper. And so I was whisked along the last mile or so looking at where I’d come from feeling a bit giddy with my luck.

There’s a little diner at that crossing with a porch swing. I was thirsty and a bit hungry, so I ate on the porch and watched a coal train go by heading east. Then I had a leisurely ride the two miles or so home. GPS indicated 16.25 mi. trip that took about three hrs. 

What fun !

Best,

• Like 3

Well, I only just got my EUC a few days ago, so I'm only just starting my journey with it, but I hope my reasoning behind getting it might help give some clarity.

Everything in my life has a role to play in a larger vision of how I want to live. I always want to be in a position in which I can walk to, bike to, or use a PEV to get to where I work, because I believe it makes me happier and healthier to do so. Already many of my coworkers ride on OneWheels or electric scooters. I also have a local CrossFit gym that I went to before the pandemic that I fully intend on riding my wheel to every day. I also miss going sailing at a local sailing club, where parking is difficult, and my EUC is actually the best option for getting there. I plan on inviting friends to nice bars in the area that I can use public transport and my wheel to get to as well. And I do want to go on group rides with local EUC riders if possible.

I even plan to attend local city council meetings, getting there on my wheel, since our bike lane infrastructure is already great and I'd like to be a part of further supporting it.

Basically, I got my EUC with a particular role in mind for it to play in how I want to live my life at its happiest and healthiest, and I carefully choose my work, and tailor my social life to suit that vision.

It sounds from your posts that your life is in flux right now, and maybe your euc just isn't aligning with how the vision of your own life has evolved. Things I believe don't belong in my life I usually throw away or stay away from. It's always worth reflecting on your situation and the things you have and really reflecting on whether these things make you happy. Many don't have the luxury to be able to choose things in life so freely, but from what you can control, it should always be a consideration.

• Like 1

I think the situation of having EUCs feel like a point A to point B vehicle may be causing your potential loss of interest. Before EUCs when I rode my OneWheel, I refused to have it be my utility point A to B personal electric vehicle, instead reserving my eScooter to fill that role and to only use the OneWheel for fun.

Now that I ride a EUC now, I do intend to use it for fun but also for going from point A to B I. Commutes or errands, so I can see where I could go down the path you took in terms of getting bored of riding it. I often just look for articles or cool places to explore or great nature views and plan trips out there as a way to get a change of scenery. So perhaps finding more ways to use your EUC to really experience interesting places for you in greater depth is the way for you to get back on the wheel. 

I wonder too if it is related to your newish wheel. For example, I specifically like my Tesla for being smaller, lighter, easy to pick up and carry around. Very easy for it to feel like an extension of my feet. I can imagine a different larger heavier wheel giving a different feel.

• Like 1