Is it necessary to have bluetooth on EU

Sunny Rockwheel

The new feature on the Gotway app that gives you vibration speed alerts coupled to the ability to turn off either the first or second beep warning or both via blue tooth is brilliant and having used it I would be reluctant to buy a wheel that didn't have similar features! :)

You can keep your music, I like to be alert to my surroundings!

I don't think anyone is attracted to buy a EU with a speaker for music. That's dumb. Speakers for your feet? This is how all small EU makers try to add value to the wheel. Not a good strategy. 

The bluetooth for music is just a selling point not practical~~It is more practical to use bluetooth to connect GPS

I have to say that Bluetooth is a must have. But not for music.

Things I feel Bluetooth is important for:

1: hearing warning beeps on my headphones instead of over the speaker.

2: android app for seeing useful info on phone. Like battery % or speed, or distance traveled

3: configuring the wheel. I.e. horizontal alignment, ride "hardness" and vibration speed warning on phone.

But then, I'm connecting my gotway to my watch. I have an InWatch Z its a standalone smart watch, runs full android, not android wear. So I have that info on my wrist without worrying about dropping my phone. It runs the gotway app just fine. I would strongly suggest a full android smartwatch to anyone that rides an EU with an android app that conveys info like that.

I have to say that Bluetooth is a must have. But not for music.

Things I feel Bluetooth is important for:

1: hearing warning beeps on my headphones instead of over the speaker.

2: android app for seeing useful info on phone. Like battery % or speed, or distance traveled

3: configuring the wheel. I.e. horizontal alignment, ride "hardness" and vibration speed warning on phone.

But then, I'm connecting my gotway to my watch. I have an InWatch Z its a standalone smart watch, runs full android, not android wear. So I have that info on my wrist without worrying about dropping my phone. It runs the gotway app just fine. I would strongly suggest a full android smartwatch to anyone that rides an EU with an android app that conveys info like that.

you made a great explanation

I have a Samsung Gear 2 Neo. I have the Gotway app but not on my watch. How do I get it?

Thanks

I don't think you can. The Gear 2 neo runs Tizen. Not Android. I don't think the gotway app would run under Tizen. I don't even know if it would run on Android Wear. The smart watch I use runs plain old android, not android wear, so it can load normal android apps. Any android standalone watch runs normal android. (Standalone smarwatches have Sim card slots and can function as a phone if you want them to)

• 2 months later...

​Hi StridAst,

you answered the exact question I had which was a way to use the gotway app on the wrist. i'm seeing the inwatch z selling for approx $300USD on amazon/ebay; are there cheaper alternatives to Android smartwatches (not Androidgear) that you know of? Next, do you have any pictures of how the gotway app looks on your watch? does it display large speed/distance info that is easy to read while riding? thanks

John

Headphones are illegal to use when operating a vehicle or even walking in places, because you can not hear surroundings or the horn of the bus that is about to run you over.... There are people that walk into traffic all the time being in their own world... So yes Bluetooth even for only speakers is a good thing...

I would prioritize all sorts of other things before bluetooth speakers, but I like them as a bonus feature. It's much safer than listening through headphones, and when I can use speakers without annoying the people around me it's fun to have the option. Assuming it met my other criteria as far as power, range, etc., I'd have no problem paying a little more for an EU with bluetooth speakers.

​Hi StridAst,

you answered the exact question I had which was a way to use the gotway app on the wrist. i'm seeing the inwatch z selling for approx $300USD on amazon/ebay; are there cheaper alternatives to Android smartwatches (not Androidgear) that you know of? Next, do you have any pictures of how the gotway app looks on your watch? does it display large speed/distance info that is easy to read while riding? thanks

John

OK sorry, I haven't checked the forums much lately.  To answer questions, there are several other full Android smartwatches, and I suspect all of them will run the gotway app just fine.  Omate X, Neptune pine, Omate, truesmart are ones that come to mind.  There are going to be others. Search for standalone Android smartwatches, and check each one to make certain its actually running Android, not simply compatible with Android.

As for the app on the inwatch, I have no pics, I'll try to take a pic or two later, but its very easy to read while riding. I'll snap a pic tonight when I get home and post it here

OK here's a rather blurry pic with the gotway app.  Sorry for the blurry photo, I had to snap the pic quickly, before the attempting to connect message replaces the 0 speed indicator.  My gotway is at home, and I am not, so I don't think the Bluetooth is likely to connect from 5 miles away.  :)

IMG_20150628_115750_1435514488834.jpg

OK here's a rather blurry pic with the gotway app.  Sorry for the blurry photo, I had to snap the pic quickly, before the attempting to connect message replaces the 0 speed indicator.  My gotway is at home, and I am not, so I don't think the Bluetooth is likely to connect from 5 miles away.  :)

​Thanks StridAst! After doing some research, I have decided to buy a cheap small Android phone (found one on eBay for $55USD) to run the Gotway app and ordered a sports arm band ($10USD) which I plan to wear just under my elbow to view the speed/distance specs as I ride. This seemed to be more economical and still get me what I needed. Thanks for the input!

Archived