Charging Battery While it is Still Warm After a Ride

ODST

In one of Duf's videos, he mentions that Tesla recommends letting the battery of the car cool before charging.  Do most people let their battery on their EUC cool before they charge it or do they get done with a ride and just plug it in?  Does anyone think it makes a difference?

I usually wait a couple of hours to charge, but want to know if I can just go ahead and plug in the wheel after a ride.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ODST said:

Do most people let their battery on their EUC cool before they charge it

I think many of us do, but I don’t think I’d say “most people”.

I think 15 minutes is sufficient time for the batteries to cool from the relatively humble amount of warmth generated by charging. The other way around as well, 15 mins after a ride is the minimum I tend to wait before switching on the chargers. 

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ODST said:

Does anyone think it makes a difference?

"Battery experts from websites" i assume that they are serious do think so.

But as i did not really remember/found any temperature numbers or we have any batery cell temperature measurement from our wheels i do it like @ShanesPlanet and @mrelwood - some break  inbetween, as 

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

If nothing else, it makes me feel better about it.

;)

Or adopt it - if you drive a veteran sherman with 10 km/h on a flat road there should be no warming of the batteries. If one beats some battery wise underpowered wheel up some hills on a hot summer day it could be a good idea to let it cool down some time before recharging...

... and from.time to te i think.once is as good as never...

5 hours ago, ODST said:

In one of Duf's videos, he mentions that Tesla recommends letting the battery of the car cool before charging.  Do most people let their battery on their EUC cool before they charge it or do they get done with a ride and just plug it in?  Does anyone think it makes a difference?

I usually wait a couple of hours to charge, but want to know if I can just go ahead and plug in the wheel after a ride.

i cant say one way or not... i seriously doubt that the batteries on an euc get remotely warm enough for it to matter, but maybe its a 30 degree day and you immediately plug it in to a 10 amp charger, whos to say.... that would worry me lol... but out of habit no, i never charge a wheel right after riding (wait at least an hour) as well as never ride one right after charging, same thing... then again i dont even ever charge my wheels more than 3A... however, i have absolutely no need to, i have a lot of wheels lmao.. maybe you only have one and need it to be charged right away for something... i would say, if its necessary then go ahead, 99.9% sure that it would not do any harm the odd time, but if you can then just wait between charging and riding, its a good habit

5 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I wait for mine to cool from charging before ride and cool from riding before charge. I also charge at lowest settings 99% of the time. Same as I always have with EVERY rechargeable battery I've seen since the 80's. If nothing else, it makes me feel better about it.

i do the same, probably totally unnecessary but it makes me feel better lol, unless i plan to ride it the same day im charging it and actually use it all, i never go above 80%.... however i will make sure to charge it to 100% and leave it on the charger every month or so to make sure the cells are balanced as with these BMS they only balance at or near max charge

Depends on the temperatures. All those "always let the batteries cool" blank statements are to be on the safe side, because high temperature is a problem for Li-ion and you never know what exactly someone does. So better to tell them the safer thing rather than have them come back at you after their wheel dies after a few hundred miles. If you juice the vehicle hard (no matter the number of wheels), or ride in freezing cold and then plug in a fast charger, you are definitely not helping those batteries. It won't destroy them just because you did it once, but it shortens their lifespan.

OTH, if you come home from a trip and the last few miles you rode slowly and calmly on a sidewalk, the batteries will already be cool enough for normal charge. Same for riding after charging - if you do 80% charge with a fast charger, the batteries will be pretty hot when you disconnect them. But if you charge them to 100% and wait for every mV, the batteries are already cold, because they spend the last hour with almost zero current.

So, 99% of time, I don't wait intentionally. I'm charging before a trip most of the time (not after) and the batteries might be full an hour or two before I take off, so no need to wait just because I pulled out the cord. (By the way, a simple proxy for this is the charger. If it's warm, the batteries are warm as well. If it's cold, then it's pumping out so little power that it won't warm the batteries either.)

• Like 3

Technically, charging a warm battery is harder on it than charging at room temperature. "Fast charging" internally heats the battery, and while it can usually dissipate the heat it does cause some additional stress (hence "fast charging" beyond mfg spec). Cells are much more sensitive to charging stress than discharging stress.

Like @ShanesPlanet says, what's more important though? @Rywokastis extending his battery life, the guys @Tawpiemention need the range. Most people replace their wheels (with faster and farther range models) before they wear out, so no biggie.

If you're trying to stretch the life (and top speed) of your wheel, take care of it if you can.

Some people take meticulous care of everything they own (I picture @Rehab1), others have rusting lawn tractors in their front yard (@ShanesPlanet). Yet luck often turns the tables. Maybe in the big picture it doesn't matter. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Rawnei said:

I usually don't wait, just plug it in after a ride.

This.

Given that 'fast' chargers for our wheels are pathetic (relative to the max recommended for the cells), I'm not even convinced that the cells would heat up at all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Planemo said:

This.

Given that 'fast' chargers for our wheels are pathetic (relative to the max recommended for the cells), I'm not even convinced that the cells would heat up at all.

For that sake I don’t see them get that hot from riding either, and a bit of (luke)warmth is better than cold for charging AFAIK..

Edited by null

1 minute ago, null said:

For that sake I don’t see them get hot from riding either, and a bit of warmth is better than cold for charging AFAIK..

You may well be right re discharge temps as well. I have never actually pulled a side panel off after riding to probe the packs but I have a feeling that the cells don't get hot on either charge or discharge.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rywokast said:

however i will make sure to charge it to 100% and leave it on the charger every month or so to make sure the cells are balanced

Balancing only one a month sounds risky to me. The balancing currents are very low, so they can only handle small differences. Depending on how much you ride of course, but for daily riding balancing one every week might not be enough. Wasn’t for my 16S. I then balanced my MSX at every single charge, and sold the wheel last week with 14000km in the meter and a perfectly well functioning battery.

Regarding charging right after a ride (or riding right after a charge), it might not be only about the cell temperature. The internal cell voltages level out a bit slowly after a ride or after a charge. 15 minutes will already get them much closer to the testing state. Might not have anything to do with the recommendation, but then again it also might.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Balancing only one a month sounds risky to me. The balancing currents are very low, so they can only handle small differences. Depending on how much you ride of course, but for daily riding balancing one every week might not be enough. Wasn’t for my 16S. I then balanced my MSX at every single charge, and sold the wheel last week with 14000km in the meter and a perfectly well functioning battery.

Regarding charging right after a ride (or riding right after a charge), it might not be only about the cell temperature. The internal cell voltages level out a bit slowly after a ride or after a charge. 15 minutes will already get them much closer to the testing state. Might not have anything to do with the recommendation, but then again it also might.

well no wheel gets daily usage, i cycle through my stable lol.. i have always made sure to check after fully charging that every wheel gets up to proper max voltage.. so far the only euc that ever hasnt was one that came to me with a faulty pack from the factory

Edited by Rywokast