14 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Ask a pad rider to cut a sharp 90º turn at speed without slowing down: they can't do it.

I’m currently trying to decide whether or not I’ll put pads on my Sherman. It’s in the mail, arriving 4/20 (blaze ‘em). 

So far I’ve never put pads on any wheel and I thinks it’s been fine for me. Not sure what I’m missing out on. 

Can you elaborate on why a pad rider can’t make a sharp turn? How fast can you make a 90 degree turn? That’s one of the things I’m working on myself... I’m not yet sure how fast I can turn without inadvertently drifting and maybe doing a lowside and eating pavement. 

Also by proper tuning to ride padless, you and @Ben Kim basically mean the old school Gotway soft mode right?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Same here. But everyone still goes mental for monstrous pads like it's going to make them a Jedi rider. Often bought by noobs or riders with little experience. There really shouldn't be any

Like any other contact point to your body, pads need to be well adjusted in thickness, shape, placement, width, hardness to fit your body, stance, riding style and overall requirements. Since the

Yup. I tried those, and multiple versions of clark's, and many other DIY creations; and arrived at this: Can't live without my huge cushy, roomy, front pads. No other setup has felt right for me

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, shellac said:

Can you elaborate on why a pad rider can’t make a sharp turn? How fast can you make a 90 degree turn? That’s one of the things I’m working on myself... I’m not yet sure how fast I can turn without inadvertently drifting and maybe doing a lowside and eating pavement.

I don't understand, if anything pads make it easier to turn as you can push the pad and get more leverage that way.

57 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

I don't understand, if anything pads make it easier to turn as you can push the pad and get more leverage that way.

I fail to see how it has much to do with it either. Turns at speed, pads help me turn more heavily. Slow turns and I can still scrape pedal or 180 and fall off either way.:o Not much need for leverage when going slowly, as its a loose leg turn anyhow. Skill is my problem, not hardware. I could see how 'jump' pads are nearly required for skate park type riding tho...

@shellac The sherm should come with some narrow pads. You dont need pads to ride the sherm. I rode mine for a few weeks w/o them and I found it easier to NOT have pads, rather than pads that didnt cater to my habits. Top pads will protect the sherm tho, as the pedal and pads make a 'safe' drop contact point. Horses for course bro, its all part of the fun of exploration! If you HAPPEN to be 6'3 and exaclty proportioned as I am, and happen to ride a sherm and happen to ride similar as I, MAYBE my pads would fit you. So much for the entire 'best pads to get' malarky! Fwiw, I dont sell pads.....:D

Edited by ShanesPlanet
On 4/12/2021 at 7:50 PM, Michael D said:

Bought a pair of pads for my Sherman and hated them. Certainly nothing wrong with the pads but nothing for me. Feeling locked up. I like to move my legs and knee and change foot position. When I brake, I lean far back and down. All this I can not do with pads.

By the way @Michael D, which pads did you try and didn't like?

Also, how did you position them - roughly?

To me, pads are a must. I only do off-road riding. :D

I never tried the "premade" pads however, mine are down low just above my feet. Helps only slightly in de/accelerating but it keeps me on the wheel when jumping/bumping/downhill without being locked into the wheel (spikes).

Agility is barely affected (in a pinch I can go bow legged and circumvent the pads)

3 minutes ago, Michael D said:

I tried new position after every km.

pad.png

Ah yeah these.
I personally didn't consider them because they limit how much you bend the knees and move your legs in general for weight transfer and shock absorption, yet don't provide enough grab or lock-in when desired.
I don't like their minimum thickness either, requiring to adopt a bow-shaped stance.

Certainly not the worst pads - their main benefit is that they're made of foam which avoid being too harsh or painful, but there's better ones out here 😃

1 hour ago, Michael D said:

I will keep looking and try something else. I want to like pads.

I just realise you're in Sweden too, if you're around Stockholm I'll gladly lend you my 3D printed ones so you can try ^_^

It really depends on the wheel, riding style, and type of pads for me. I find that some pads just don't feel comfortable for me no matter what position I put them on, but overall I do enjoy riding with them. On my V11, I like them higher up so it's easier to press my shins against them, even if I'm not really locked into the wheel when they are at that height. I also like that it's easer to ride seated when they are higher up. Overall however, I think higher up pads, and dedicated jump pads are my preferred combo. 

I'm also using pads I printed from @Nicknonsense thingiverse files. I'm using the split as well. I'm mixed on using pads. I leave them on all the time. I have a busy sidewalk commute so I often jump out in the street and back up on the sidewalk. My legs aren't strong enough to pinch grip a 60 pound wheel and heave it up curbs. I use standard strength velcro. The shear strength is low. Usually when I eat it the pads just shear off. I just collect them after eating it and just reattach them. I haven't found the magical spot yet. I'm constantly moving them in different positions.

On 4/12/2021 at 1:50 PM, Michael D said:

Anyone else who feels like me or does everyone love pads?

Yup, I feel the same way! On a 16X.

I also used velcro to make adjustments but it just didn't feel right no matter how - more of a hindrance. Might try them again one day when my skills get better. For now, 2 layers of protective foam high on the shell for some cushion.

Thanks for creating this thread @Michael D. I think it will benefit many. I wish I asked earlier or started a similar post before. 

Edited by Surfling

I do 95% city riding and I hate the thick pads that I see everyone using, but I also have thick legs and I don't like them getting pushed out further from the pedal than they already are with knee armor on. I've been using thin grippy EVA sheets, the kind they use on paddle boards and kayaks. It gives it a slight padding with extra grip on the wheel for when I need it without getting in the way of everyday riding with constantly shifting positions.

Screenshot 2021-04-17 231611.png

Okay i rode my first 12000km without power pads of any kind and only used the flat pads that came with the eucs. BUT i lived in a flat country, excuse me, a completely flat country, and honestly in that country power pads would provide no benefit, unless you consider not being able to accelerate as fast as possible, a benefit. 

Now i moved to a very mountainous city in Portugal and with the added weight of these new wheels ,the Gotway RS specifically in my case, it is impossible to scale the numerous inclines that are EVERYWHERE and some are even greater than 35degrees making it impossible to keep up with traffic (40-70km/h) while suicide leaning to force the massive weight of the  euc up the incline. Another thing to take into consideration is just how detrimental potholes are when you are suicide leaning up an incline, you have no way to brace yourself for them as you are leaning so far forward (some call it kuji leaning) that your knees cannot bend and essentially the tire would get stuck in the pothole while your suicide leaning dumbass continues forwards. 

But generally it boils down to this: If you live in a flat area, ride light wheels or don't do off-roading there is NO reason to get power pads.
If you do a lot of off-roading or live in a place with steep inclines and have a heavy wheel get you some power pads fast... I said fast!  

edit: also if you get power pads be prepared to reposition them MANY times, and before you do so make sure you have the wheel calibrated to the degree of your liking or you will have to reposition even more times. 

Also here is a picture of my custom power pad if you want to read more about it Here is a thread that started out being about mods and turned into a nylonove pedal thread

IMG_20201211_190038.thumb.jpg.e14f3f59d2133e0ebe3decc40e07207b.jpg

Edited by xiiijojjo
  • 2 weeks later...

I ride in hilly area.

V10F i use only original cover and under cover 5mm neoprene pads nothing more.

KS16X  same neoprene on side euc to make confort for my ankle and leg + eucguard no need "power pads" on 16X becasue firmware is responsive and great(hard mode) and squeze ks16x is enouch grip.

MSP2500w pads must be for inclining holes in road and safety. I agree with riders here bigest factor is where ride and each EUC is unique.

I never feel on 16x or v10f i need lean pads on MSP is part of EUC without pads i canot use real power with safety.

Now on sherman i try original one and is bad joke/pure fail desing for me personaly.

I respect riders who like stock sherman pad every rider is unique.

Pads for me is safety barier when my leg/shoes want slip or EUC hit root or biger stone/hole on trail and i need keep me on pedals/footplates securely.

Personaly for me i hate when something touch my ankle. I never feel need use jump pads or pads what lock me in.  For me pads is safety "addon" only.

I never saw the need for pads on either V10 or Nik+.  Maybe I ride too slowly?  Most of my riding is sidewalk  (I'm suburban and the main roads are 65-89km/h here with people going +10-20km/h over that) or subdivision (40km/h max).  Riding around at 25-30km/h road or 15-25km/h sidewalk I don't think my speed/style of riding typically requires acceleration that I can't already do w/o pads.  I don't jump my wheel at all either.

Edited by /Dev/Null
8 hours ago, /Dev/Null said:

I neer saw the need for pads on either V10 or Nik+.  Maybe I ride too slowly?  Most of my riding is sidewalk  (I'm suburban and the main roads are 65-89km/h here with people going +10-20km/h over that) or subdivision (25mph max).  Riding around at 25-30km/h road or 15-25km/h sidewalk I don't think my speed/style of riding typically requires acceleration that I can't already do w/o pads.  I don't jump my wheel at all either.

i think maybe its just an issue with new wheels requiring too much input from the user as someone on here mentioned? cant say.... but i do know every wheel i have ever stepped on has accelerated and braked very quickly with very little effort for my 120 lbs so the only scenario i can imagine is a super bumpy off road ride where youre bouncing around all over the place, then they would come in handy.. but same with me im always on paved road

Same here ... sort of. I tried my Clark Pads for about 150 kilometres,but was not fully satisfied with them. I was able to ride without holding the wheel with my legs which was a positive development. It was nice and relaxing riding without the fear of being tossed off the wheel from an unexpected bump, the pads gave me that kind of security. Mounting was more difficult with pads on. I can do everything I want to do on my wheel except for jumping and off-roading neither of which I have interest in. I have 41 cm. calves and very big,strong legs so holding the wheel has never been an issue. I may try them again later.

On 4/17/2021 at 2:26 PM, supercurio said:

I just realise you're in Sweden too, if you're around Stockholm I'll gladly lend you my 3D printed ones so you can try

Thanks, but no, I'm from south of Malmö.

I like having a cushion near the top of the wheel. Otherwise I like accelerating from leaning. The small Sherman pads are perfect for me. The bumps only as reference points. Braking has been ok maybe a bit more of a bump for e braking but I like having nothing impeding the front and just a bit of grip from the cushion. 

Interesting seeing everyone's replies.  Obviously pads are dependent on your riding style, I just velcroed in my own toe pads to help me stay on the KS-S18, without them I had less breaking power, and the biggest reason is because I'm riding a lot of slopes, and without toes hooks, when I wipe out in the rough terrain (which is very often) the uni flies away from me, down the slope, potentially into water, etc.  Bad news, I find the toe hooks let me grab on the wheel for bumps and crashes and keep that thing close so it doesn't go fly elsewhere, especially down a slope.  

I don't find I would need the pads for riding pathways, but offroad, couldn't ride without them.

On 4/17/2021 at 6:54 AM, Michael D said:

I tried new position after every km.

pad.png

The INMOTION ones are slightly more ergonomic and these should be tilted such that the braking pad is vertical and moved down towards your feet, otherwise it restricts the amount your leg can bend before hitting the acceleration pad.

Even though these have a 1/2”+ min thickness plus Velcro added to an already thick wheel, the pads actually made it more nimble because there is now a gap between the wheel body and my leg above the pads so it doesn’t hit my leg as much on bumps/turns and since it locks in your ankle, you have solid leverage to steer using just the feet and everything above your feet is free to move around.

D9099724-55D3-4C02-AEAB-261D2CBDA69E.jpeg

18 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Yup. I tried those, and multiple versions of clark's, and many other DIY creations; and arrived at this:

Can't live without my huge cushy, roomy, front pads. No other setup has felt right for me riding fast on bumpy trails. Move the foot forward for more engagement; move the foot back for more freedom.

3" NSI Minicell foam.

ACtC-3cc-sMH-NzG73pft2U0WBknR0Dwfp2-N4vl  ACtC-3fMUZYQmOTYMyaG0H81lqr84U8C8ywoUhqz

How did you make those?