Riding into the wind

ToniG123

(Sounds like the title of a song :))

Today is a VERY windy day over here but I thought that nothing is going to ruin my fun and decided to take the challenge taking my NBOE+ out for a spin.

It was quite difficult when the wind was coming from the side, I just had to ride slow and carefully but I managed to do a 10 km ride.

There was a moment when I was riding directly into the wind, blowing very hard. I am quite large (90kg+) and I noticed the ninebot sweating to keep me moving. I was really pushing hard into it and hardly moving. I was fearing a cut-off but as I was really moving slow I would have just walked away if that happened so I kept pushing.

¿Could that type of situation cause a shut down or blow mosfets/mobo or whatever?

It definitely is a challenge to ride in windy weather, especially gusty weather. Assuming that the wind is blowing directly at you as you try to move forward, it definitely seems like it would take more power and use the battery faster. However, I wonder if at least some of the phenomenon is that the wind is pushing you upright and making it difficult to get the lean you need for the EUC to move forward. It would be interesting to quantify that somehow. It reminds me of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti-pw5VUKoM#t=40s

I'm not quite sure if it really is a matter of power or just, as @dmethvin says, its the wind not letting me lean forward. I guess I could check that with the app and see the power output but in that windy situation it would be a bit difficult for me to ride and check the app at the same time. 

I guess EUC riding would be a good use for some kind of hands free head-up display (google glass?).

If you read some posts from this topic, you'll notice that head wind actually has a very large effect on the power usage of the wheel:

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/982-energy-balance-data-records/#comment-10233

From that topic, same rider on same day with 18" MSuper on a closed airfield tarmac:

With head-wind: Re-calculating the values leaving out the stationary parts, acceleration & deceleration, average speed was 20.94km/h and average power was 774W.

With tail-wind: Leaving out the start & end (ie. stationary parts, acceleration & deceleration), so calculating only when the speed is steady, the average speed was 33.96km/h and the average power was 399.64W. 

3 hours ago, Roue Libre said:

I think the wind might be a reason to upgrade for stronger models like Ninebot One P. But it's expansive, so I think I will wait to upgrade ;)

I have a Lhotz, and in no way does it make the wind any less awkward than on an e+ :(

There's always a brisk crosswind when I wheel along the Serpentine Lake in Hyde Park. One of these days my euc is going to take me to meet the swans........

1 hour ago, ToniG123 said:

I'm not quite sure if it really is a matter of power or just, as @dmethvin says, its the wind not letting me lean forward. I guess I could check that with the app and see the power output but in that windy situation it would be a bit difficult for me to ride and check the app at the same time. 

I guess EUC riding would be a good use for some kind of hands free head-up display (google glass?).

Now, THAT is an idea for a MS 'HaloLens' & Bluetooth/EUC Cell Phone App reflected off of a Hockey Helmet Visor (Augmented Reality) - total head protection, wind in the eye protection and Heads-Up display of all riding data. I like it! This may also work with the iGlass system.

Where is a Urban Legend about Kansas and it winds.   I'll clear that up.... it isn't a Legend.  I have had to call a couple rides due to wind.    I haven't the data to tell how badly it affected the power of my Wheel.   All I can do is cover the basics, the things everyone would know without getting in the wind.  A back wind takes a lot of stress off the Wheel.  The Wheel doesn't need to "work" at all to get to top speed.    Front wind can (and has)  bring the Wheel to a stop.  Side winds can have you stepping off, or turning into whatever direction it wants.   With the changing winds of Kansas, you can do tricks in the driveway that make you look like a Ballerina, or Charlie Chaplin. 

6 hours ago, Colestien said:

Front wind can (and has)  bring the Wheel to a stop.  Side winds can have you stepping off, or turning into whatever direction it wants.  

Haha it looked like you were describing Dublin/Ireland! The only difference is that nobody here would ever say it's a legend... ;) 

I've the same issues you said with my generic, I hope the IPS Lhotz will be able to deal with the wind easier...

Even like that, for some strange reason (lazyness?) if it is mostly front wind it's still easier to move with the wheel under your feet than by carrying it and walking! Haha, it may be worth the risk! :P 

@Jean Dublin I'm 97kg, riding a Lhotz 340, and with strong headwind it's dificult to reach the 17-18kmH cruising speed.

I was riding on a soaked grass field yesterday, it's a bit similar to a strong headwind, the resistance is a lot higher: battery drained a lot faster, and several time the EUC slowed downed to almost a stop, then the motor gave a grinding noise and I had to jump off to avoid a faceplant.

Never experienced this with strong headwind, but I'm reluctant to lean more forward for obvious  reasons.

@Jurgen Haha crazy, but funny when you say it's difficult to reach 17km/h as with my generic it is difficult to reach 8km/h! So until I get used to go at 25km/h I'll still be OK with 15km/h when windy :P 

Now I just went out of work, windy and rainy, as per Google 35km/h in Dublin city and 50km/h in the are I work 1 hour away from the city...

Archived