Just a thought. Why alarms? What if...

Unventor

I know it might be har fetched atheist for now. 

We always talk about alarms that isn't possible to be heard for different reasons.

Now my car has a HUD so did my previous one too. I like it a lot. Let's say you could have a projected warning. Could be colour or speed dail/ciffers or strobed blinks projected on the ground in front of you. In conjunction with audio alarms. 

Yes I know daylight would make this more difficult and also needs to be careful of strong lights at night. But it could be balanced out by light sensors combined with time tracked inside the wheel. 

Could be interesting to see if we as a community can cook up an idea that could improve our awareness.

• Like 1

EUCService does something similar with a laser pointer. 

Myself I always wondered why the EUC World App can't recognise the beep via Bluetooth, probably wheel manufacturers fault or firmware update needed to allow it.

Then the EUC World App could make the mobile phone vibrate, or a Pebble watch vibrate, or play some loud sound on Bluetooth speakers you have near your hears, other possible stuff. 

Setting up alarms based on speed, current battery level is good, but too hard or impossible to fine tune to take into account wind, incline, road surface, other factors...  

In the meantime :

On the Sherman I had the 54km/h (50km/h real speed) alarm ON all the time to make sure I could hear it, if I stopped hearing it, I wouldn't push it more, but as long as I could hear it I was sure I could push more and be sure to hear the 70% alarm if it started. 

Edited by Jean eRide.ie Community
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jean eRide.ie Community said:

Myself I always wondered why the EUC World App can't recognise the beep via Bluetooth, probably wheel manufacturers fault or firmware update needed to allow it.

Manufacturers/firmware fault. KS reduced data transfer rate from 5 samples per second to 3. Other wheels are in this range, too. Which is way too slow to release some sensefull alarm.

And there us the latency from the firmware sending, senders bluetooth stack, receiver bt stack, receiver (smartphone) app reacting,...

Such latency could be bearable if the wheel would aend the alarm (beep)! Which afaik most wheels don't do!

Setting up alarms based on speed, current battery level is good, but too hard or impossible to fine tune to take into account wind, incline, road surface, other factors...  

Here KS is nice too us by sending inverter load (safety margin in euc world) which gives an real overall indication! But unfortionately not enough samples and the latency again...

As long as data transfer rate from wheel to app is not considerably increased the only valid alarms can come from the wheel itself. And ofcourse such alarms could be send to the phone. Imho inmotion has (had?) alarms reported?

• Like 2

EUCService does something similar with a laser pointer. 

Then the EUC World App could make the mobile phone vibrate, or a Pebble watch vibrate, or play some loud sound on Bluetooth speakers you have near your hears, other possible stuff. 

In the meantime :

On the Sherman I had the 54km/h (50km/h real speed) alarm ON all the time to make sure I could hear it, if I stopped hearing it, I wouldn't push it more, but as long as I could hear it I was sure I could push more and be sure to hear the 70% alarm if it started. 

The main reason is no wheel on the market today send alarms over BT. They go to a separate buzzer or beeper function (Yes the V11 use a speaker, but it is not BT device connected). I am not sure what they do with the upcoming V12.

You can set EUC.WORLD to vibrate either phone or a connected companion smart watch. But like others said before on the forum there are short delays to this info.

• Like 1

It's a good idea, but even louder beepers are good too, all manufacturers should test their wheel alarms in windy or noisy conditions imo.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kennedy Moore said:

Possibly a slight vibration? 

I don't think vibration is the best way due it upset the gyro sensors. Maybe a small device you can attach on arm or have in a pocket. 

In a way we have smart watches that can do this to some extent.

• Like 1

I think the vibration could be done by the main motor (felt as a fast rocking motion of the pedals), not a separate vibrator device. That way it can be slow enough not to disturb any sensors. 

On 4/13/2021 at 6:16 AM, Flying W said:

If the manufacturer used a motorcycle horn instead of the beeper for the alarm I think we'd hear it. People might think they are being honked at though especially if you ride the beeps! 

That's right. The beeps are actually loud already, people around us hear them a lot louder than we do due tk the wind noise we hear. 

Next lever is motorcycle horn as you say, but that's crazy loud haha. Could use that for 80% alarm. Next lever is motorcycle horn as you say, but that's crazy loud haha. Could use that for 80% alarm. (it being too loud is a good thing, to discourage riding the beep, which is dangerous) 

But still have a normal buzzer for custom lower alarms, and low voltage alarms. 

1 minute ago, Jean eRide.ie Community said:

blockquote widget

Edited by Jean eRide.ie Community
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 12:54 AM, Jean eRide.ie Community said:

it depends on the manufacturer. For instance, inmotion sends 56 byte long packets, all the info is included, others use the 20byte long packet format and split the info. 

In inmotion V11, byte 52 is the alarm state, 0 is ok, 4 is buzzing, 12 is tiltback, 16 is faceplant, very easy to get to a haptic/visual/audio feedback. 

In ninebot alarms have priority, so it is very reliable too. 

Edited by enaon
  • Like 3