Gotway/Begode EXN as a beginner wheel???

Hi guys. First time again in the forum. Anyway, I need everybody's opinion and advice in terms of purchasing my first wheel. I have been web shopping around to see which ones I would end up with. Basically, I've looked at Inmotion, Kingsong and Gotway/Begode.  I checked all their models, features and handling abilities but somehow I always end up on the EXN. I love it's looks, features and it's wide tires.  I'll probably going to use it mostly for all around city and work commuting for now. Do you guys think the EXN is an ok beginner or an overkill? Thanks in advance for all your tips, opinions and advice.

Larry

Edited by upbnsfrrfan
  • Like 2

If you keep coming back to EXN, you MUST buy it. You can learn on pretty much anything if you're determined (well, maybe not a monster pro, you'll kill your back), and few things motivate like a substantial financial commitment. Lighter wheels are generally easier to learn on but folks have learned on Shermans. Keep in mind your learner wheel will get banged up, so you can't be too much in love with it's virginal good looks because they don't last long. But you won't care too much, you can't see the scratches when you're riding anyway.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

I'd snag a much lighter wheel as a first wheel. I still prefer my 18L over my sherman for MOST things. There's something to be had about NOT spending nearly $3k on a first wheel. Also smart idea to not have a heavy ass brick to contend with for learners. Definitely doable, but meh.. Buy a good 16 or 18" wheel used or at a bargain. You won't end up owning just one anyhow. May as well learn on something less expensive and easier to handle.

• Like 2

While a smaller EUC is easier to handle and less if an issue to bang up, it’s still a lot if money. Many people have learned on larger EUCs, I’d say go for it but pad it well.

• Like 2

Larry,

I says you WANT the EXN but as a beginner, prolly NEED something lighter for a better learning curve. Just giving another vote on practical advises others posted.

That said, I would assume you're sizable enough to handle an 80-lb rocket under your feet. So protection matters. Good luck 

• Like 3

Thanks for the all the advice, greatly appreciate it. I did own a V8 before but only for a really short time not even enough for me to fully practice just because of a sudden family crisis and after that forgot about it and also have to do a quick sale on my V8 😕  Size wise I'm just average 5'6" / 140. Hmmm decisions decisions 😁

Edited by upbnsfrrfan
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, upbnsfrrfan said:

It's calling me.......:P:D

exn.jpg

Now take a few moments to look at the images of the INSIDE of the wheel and what to expect for build. It may slow your drooling just a hair :). Big wheels are fun, but can also be a total pita. Any need to carry up stairs of lift onto transportation? Any specific range requirements? You better buy something before you go insane. The virus us real, you will own multiples shortly thereafter.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Get a smaller wheel-  being able to make a wheel roll is not understanding how to ride the wheel. There are niceties which are best to find out on something that is not going to hurt you when you find out. 

• Like 1

Definitely get a smaller wheel especially if it’s primarily for city riding. I love my ex.n , however it’s a lot of wheel for city riding and for learning on. I use it more for long range speed run rides where I’m maintaining 30 to 35 mph. It’s heavy lifting it up steps and pushing it around in supermarkets, restaurants etc. it’s a fabulous wheel but I’d pick something smaller, lighter and quicker (not faster) like the Tesla 2 or 3. It’s also less then half the price.

• Like 1

I recently got an EX.N as a first wheel. I also let my GF use it to learn. It took us both about 1h to learn to ride alone, a bit shaky and without turning. Add another hour perhaps to be able to start without support. After a few days, riding was fairly smooth. I let my two brothers try after I learned my own lessons and they could stand up and ride (without support) "shaky" after about 5-10 min each. The wheel was dropped around one time per person. Only some smaller scratches.

I dont agree with people putting out generic warnings about big wheels as first wheel. The fact that it is heavy does have implications for riding. But the size/weight itself doesnt make it a bad first wheel. A small wheel would 100% have been worse for me after about 2h of learning and perhaps not even better for the first 2h. With the big wheel I could tell (and convince) my brothers that the only thing they needed to do was to jump on and then as quickly as possible lean forward as much as they dared. The wheel would never let them fall forward/backward and with momentum they couldnt fall to any side. Not sure I would have told them that with a smaller/weaker wheel and not sure whether the gyro effect (i.e. value of gaining momentum) is as obvious with a smaller/more wobbly wheel.

• Like 1