Dealing with road anxiety!

Unbihexium

To the OP find safe places to practice and move up in difficulty as you feel more comfortable. There is no rush to do this and the process will take longer/shorter amounts of time for different people. If you are really anxious on the road you are not only unsafe for yourself and those around you, but you are training your body and brain to ride poorly. The whole point of practicing riding is to develop the muscle memory/reflexes to do it naturally. If you are freaking out on the road you are training yourself to ride like that. 

Being a little apprehensive as you challenge yourself is normal/ok, but when your technique breaks down you aren't gaining anything from the experience.

Edited by VikB
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

They wave, I pull out, I get hit, they drive off. So, how nice of them would that be? DO we really think they would stick around to fess up to the fact THEY instructed you into your own demise?

It doesn't matter if they wait around or not. They are not liable for what you do or what happens to you based on waving at you.

Edited by VikB
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, VikB said:

It doesn't matter if they wait around or not. They are not liable for what you do or what happens to you based on waving at you.

What you state is a grey enough area that a courtroom could be a deciding factor. There has been numerous cases that a shared fault is found, depending on the direction of another driver. Ultimately its up to you to decide if you should move your vehice, but they can also be found to blame, as they directed you and gave you inaccurate inforamtion that led to the decision you made.  Insurance companies and courtrooms WILL factor in many variables and you'd be surprised who gets blamed for what.  I have been to at least 6 professional driver safety courses of numerous companies and type(only in the USA however), not counting various motorcycle training.  They ALL agree with this, and court records are easily found to corroborate this very thing. Just ignore direction from other drivers and dont give any... Never apologize after an accident either :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet

@ShanesPlanet I would say , as EUC riders, we are actually at a disadvantage. Even though the local police do not hassle me, even though I have spoken with several of them about my EUC, even though I am comparable to a bicycle in weight and speed (we have fast cyclists around here).....in a court of law all they have to do is say I was illegally riding a motorized vehicle on the street and provide all kinds of confusion about the laws regarding the things. I know an argument COULD be made about how "legal" our PEV's should be. Having had a major accident on a motorcycle and gotten almost nothing out of it, and having had my wife go through a car accident where she was T-boned by a teenager on her cell phone (and nothing came out of that), I know how hard it is to prove anything. Especially here in Texas...it's a safe haven for insurance companies with all the illegal drivers we have. The most common ruling in TX is that it was 50/50 liability and so no insurance has to be paid.

Insurance is a complete racket. They rack in the bucks and don't have to pay. Or, if they do, they "prorate" it down to like 30%.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

@ShanesPlanet I would say , as EUC riders, we are actually at a disadvantage. Even though the local police do not hassle me, even though I have spoken with several of them about my EUC, even though I am comparable to a bicycle in weight and speed (we have fast cyclists around here).....in a court of law all they have to do is say I was illegally riding a motorized vehicle on the street and provide all kinds of confusion about the laws regarding the things. I know an argument COULD be made about how "legal" our PEV's should be. Having had a major accident on a motorcycle and gotten almost nothing out of it, and having had my wife go through a car accident where she was T-boned by a teenager on her cell phone (and nothing came out of that), I know how hard it is to prove anything. Especially here in Texas...it's a safe haven for insurance companies with all the illegal drivers we have. The most common ruling in TX is that it was 50/50 liability and so no insurance has to be paid.

Insurance is a complete racket. They rack in the bucks and don't have to pay. Or, if they do, they "prorate" it down to like 30%.

I agree completely. When you enjoy the grey areas of legality on an euc, you are at a serious disadvantage. I figure no matter what happens, if I'm on an euc, I'll lose in every way imaginable. Even in places where there are laws expressly concerning euc and their legal use, I'd still assume a disadvantage. I'd consider 50/50 lucky, if an euc were involved.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

What you state is a grey enough area that a courtroom could be a deciding factor. 

Now I understand why all these EUC riders cruise around with self-sticks and 360 deg cameras! It's so they have some evidence in court when standing in front of Judge Judy. Because the motorist is going to deny any waving/responsibility so a video would be useful. :o

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VikB said:

riders cruise around with self-sticks

Hsing (???) is honest about it... he says he finds 'himself' to be the most entertaining part of EUC riding videos. I do too honestly.

• 2 weeks later...

The more hours I put on my wheels, the more confident I am. I also get nervous when I don't have my helmet on. I found out when I put on all my gear, I am way more comfortable but time seems to be the biggest factor. 

I only ever get the shakes when one of two things happen. 1. I'm doing something cool and people are watching and the adrenaline kicks in or 2. I smoke a cig. It's like coffee and makes me jittery but it's worse.

• 2 weeks later...

I to had a lot of anxiety when I was starting, the only way that I know to get over it is to just keep riding and practice everything you need to be competent. In my case because of work hours I was able to practice in the middle of the night with few people around to worry about. I have been a slow learner but it has come. It would have been much better if not for a few mistakes such as not practicing mounting/dismounting as a core ability which it is.

It took me weeks to get over being very afraid of curbs, I still can't get up a curb over two inches but then I have not focused on practicing that ability and nor is my wheel particularly suited to it as it is a heavy wheel. I know there are plenty of riders who like to be able to deal with curbs and steps but since the wheel is for me commuting and work related, curb/step jumping not high on my priority list. Also I am of the belief that curb/step jumping is a pathway for more rapidly reducing the life time of the wheel. At least a non suspension wheel.

Anybody still getting PRE-RIDE anxiety? It's like the feeling you get when you are going to meet up with your new girlfriend or date, excited but at the same time unsure of what may transpire. :rolleyes: All that fades away once I start riding but I do still get it. (the wheel guys, riding the wheel...) :laughbounce2:

• Like 2

Yes. I still look forward to my rides. It's good to have a bit of an edge when you are riding. I'm afraid the second I get too relaxed I will screw up and get hurt.

Also, I get the itch. If I haven't ridden for a few days (due to weather, or being on a trip without my wheel) , it starts to bother me. :)

• Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 10:59 AM, Roadpower said:

I to had a lot of anxiety when I was starting, the only way that I know to get over it is to just keep riding and practice everything you need to be competent. In my case because of work hours I was able to practice in the middle of the night with few people around to worry about. I have been a slow learner but it has come. It would have been much better if not for a few mistakes such as not practicing mounting/dismounting as a core ability which it is.

It took me weeks to get over being very afraid of curbs, I still can't get up a curb over two inches but then I have not focused on practicing that ability and nor is my wheel particularly suited to it as it is a heavy wheel. I know there are plenty of riders who like to be able to deal with curbs and steps but since the wheel is for me commuting and work related, curb/step jumping not high on my priority list. Also I am of the belief that curb/step jumping is a pathway for more rapidly reducing the life time of the wheel. At least a non suspension wheel.

I totally agree that mounting/dismounting is the core ability. Absolutely need to practice it more. My commute is very hilly and there are multiple scenarios where I have to stop or hop back on at an awkward angle.

Riding an EUC requires a strange balance of confidence and concentration. If you are overly confident you may find yourself unprepared to what's coming your way, but if on the other hand, you think/stress too much then everything you practiced alone in the night (tennis court, football field, playground, etc.) with confidence suddenly becomes all too hard to repeat in the daylight at the traffic lights in the middle of the town... :-)

• Like 3

On 5/19/2021 at 11:38 AM, conecones said:

Today I straight up wiped out trying to dismount at a busy downtown intersection. Somehow my shoe got wedged at a weird angle in the pads so I accidentally pulled my foot out with the shoe still on the pedal! So now I’ve got one foot in the air freaking out trying to stick it back in the shoe while still moving and swerving like an idiot. I did not make it and my sock came off by the time I stopped/half bailed.

So there I was at the stop light in the middle of the road trying to yank the shoe out of my pads, before casually walking back to collect my sock, as if this is a totally normal thing.

I can ride one legged fine, but apparently not when it really counted!

It helps that I’ve fallen so many times in public that it’s stopped bothering me...

Haha, loved the story, thank you! :-)

On 5/19/2021 at 12:01 PM, 5Cauac said:

Anybody still getting PRE-RIDE anxiety? It's like the feeling you get when you are going to meet up with your new girlfriend or date, excited but at the same time unsure of what may transpire. :rolleyes: All that fades away once I start riding but I do still get it. (the wheel guys, riding the wheel...) :laughbounce2:

Totally! I am often having this strange split second thought in the morning before the ride like "hmm... how can a human actually stand on it?" And also there is another strange split second thought right after I start moving first time like "err.... is it indeed easier than I thought or I am just overestimating myself?..." But then the logical conviction kicks in of "yeah, I am actually doing it"... :-)

• Like 3

16 hours ago, That Guy said:

Riding an EUC requires a strange balance of confidence and concentration. If you are overly confident you may find yourself unprepared to what's coming your way, but if on the other hand, .....

This is one of those Twilight Zone moments for me. :o:cry2:  I was thinking this yesterday; about the time you were writing this. This must mean I am really tuned into the Forum, at least for that moment!

Edited by Scottie

On 5/22/2021 at 4:34 AM, Scottie said:

This is one of those Twilight Zone moments for me. :o:cry2:  I was thinking this yesterday; about the time you were writing this. This must mean I am really tuned into the Forum, at least for that moment!

Unicycle riders think alike... :-)

• Like 1

I don't drink coffee or smoke cigarettes before riding, or anything that can affect my nerves or blood pressure, otherwise I become the wobbleman.

However I do drink beers and ride from time to time (I live in low density/populated area).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nivel said:

I don't drink coffee or smoke cigarettes before riding, or anything that can affect my nerves or blood pressure, otherwise I become the wobbleman.

However I do drink beers and ride from time to time (I live in low density/populated area).

I do those things WHILE riding. My blood pressure isnt nearly as dangerous as an improperly fueled addiction. No coffee, no smokes, SOMEONE aint making it back to the ranch.... I find music helps soothe me, unless its harder music. Then it freaking propels me...

• Like 3

for me only time I get a little flustered is when im at the front of some traffic lights and there's lots of cars behind me and im hoping for a good first time mount lol

I ride cycles and motorcycles too so used to dealing with car drivers road rage

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2021 at 9:07 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

I do those things WHILE riding. My blood pressure isnt nearly as dangerous as an improperly fueled addiction. No coffee, no smokes, SOMEONE aint making it back to the ranch.... I find music helps soothe me, unless its harder music. Then it freaking propels me...

I find it rather hard to enjoy coffee when the surface is not smooth (most of the time for me). (A rider drinking coffee while riding looks (even) cooler, I am only talking about not enjoying the coffee itself. :-)) Perhaps a suspension wheel is the solution...

Yeah, and also coffee gets cold faster especially in a takeaway cup (and especially in winter). But if I have a thermal mug, I have to carry it empty half of the way, then I need a bag, etc... Can't win... :-(

• Like 1

17 hours ago, That Guy said:

I find it rather hard to enjoy coffee when the surface is not smooth (most of the time for me). (A rider drinking coffee while riding looks (even) cooler, I am only talking about not enjoying the coffee itself. :-)) Perhaps a suspension wheel is the solution...

Yeah, and also coffee gets cold faster especially in a takeaway cup (and especially in winter). But if I have a thermal mug, I have to carry it empty half of the way, then I need a bag, etc... Can't win... :-(

First world problems suck!

And yes, you really need to buy a suspension wheel.   ;)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

First world problems suck!

LOL ,  It kinda brings new meaning to the statement- “ Don’t be @That Guy” 

Just kidding- Your user name begs for sarcasm! I like it!  ....... If you knew my real name you would think it was silly.  .......  rim shot , inside joke. 

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 2