which eu do i have?

uniler

I recently bought an electric unicycle from Amazon. It was listed as a COMTOA TG-T3 132w. As i suspected it is a knockoff with no info plate or serial # (oh well) I'm interested to learn more about this unit to see If it has regenerative braking which i doubt, and also to know what parts it has for the propose of repair and modification. I am getting about 6km per charge (i weigh 60kg) included is a pic please ignore the protective duct tape

tmp_17200-tmp_avatar_1450849285921-475163656.jpg

It's probably "yet another generic"... It seems that there are literally hundreds of small shops that "manufacture" (ie. assemble) these from off-the-shelf -parts. Likely it does have regenerative braking, as my research on these motors so far has indicated that it's actually the only way to brake with these (unless you have a HUGE brake resistor or mechanical brakes). And no, I don't think any wheel uses the brake resistor, here's an example what it would look like:

brake-resistor-1-5ohm-900W-dump-load-res

It can take about 900W of braking power, is over 30cm (a foot) long and weighs about 3kg (6-7lbs). So you would probably notice if any wheel was using such ;)  Instead, it seems they all dump the braking energy into the battery (as there's nowhere else for it to go, trying to dissipate that much power in the motor wiring, "normal" power resistors or in the mosfets would burn them in a second).

For the parts, can't tell much, but most of the generics seem to use mostly the same parts. Likely a small (132Wh) single battery pack, made from cells of dubious quality (although there may be exceptions), some off-the-shelf 16S BMS, 350W 14" motor and the "typical" generic X3/X5-mainboard.

35 minutes ago, uniler said:

Thanks for the response. Would it be wise to upgrade my battery, seeing that my range is quite low? What other modifications or upgrades would you recommend for me?

Instead of upgrading, try to consider buying a wheel with better specifications and bigger battery capacity like 260 or 340wh. It will cost you nearly the same to upgrade with a different board, motor and bigger battery and you will still have the same old plastic case.

If you love electronics then by all means go ahead with the upgrade. First you need to buy a 30km/h mainboard and a 500 w motor from Microworks. Then You need to buy or assemble a bigger battery pack to feed your more powerful motor although bigger battery packs might not fit in the compartment of your existing casing so you might need to place it externally.:)

Archived