Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

The open configuration seems to allow any dirt to freely enter and exit.  Rather than trying to prevent ingress.

Unprotected design is never good for dirty environment. You really don't want to have dirt between moving parts.

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

Perhaps the S20 slider blocks could adopt the vertical ridges.

Ridges and recesses would benefit sliders.

I checked two igus design tools. Their sliding bearings material could last about few hundred hours in the clean S20 suspension rails.

Would be interesting if there were experiments to try and deliberately have dirt/grit adhere to the surfaces.

Would the dry surfaces be so slippery that dirt/grit would not adhere?

Probably would eventually wear out, but hopefully much longer lifespan, and maintenance free.

Video of Igus bearings.

Linear bearings are generally made for 3D printers, and their weight/pressure handling is really low. I would think that the fixed sliding igus bushes are much better, but I don’t know if the material itself is rigid enough for the pressures required in an EUC suspension.

• Thanks 1

anybody knows what the material on the s18 is? I did't give it much notice when I looked at it, but is seemed some kind of plastic too. In this case(not my s18) the slider was moved a bit due to friction/debris. 

photo_2021-06-28_22-12-06.jpg

Edited by enaon
  • Upvote 1

Just looking at it I thought it was a cheap steel bushing, but I didn’t check it w/ a magnet when I had them apart.

I too would like to know now.

Edit: rehab or fbhb would probably know…

Edited by OldFartRides

2 minutes ago, OldFartRides said:

The grey sliders are  steel I believe. I know they’re not aluminum.

Inside the grey structure is an aluminium tube and inside it is a plastic sleeve. The tube and sleeve are bonded together, I assume.

13 minutes ago, Eucner said:

he grey structure is an aluminium tube and inside it is a pl

it is not a long tube, it ισ two rings or about 2cm width, one at bottom one at top, the rod does not touch the middle section of the housing at all, it is ~1mm wider. 

this is why I recommend silicon spray for the s18, it has room to hold oil/debris, silicon helps keep it clean. 

Edited by enaon

I imagine they are very similar to what is found in MTB forks - a bushing with a steel outer and a PTFE/DU/plastic of some sort liner.

Rock Shox Bushing Kit Domain/Lyrik, 114015065000 : Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Edit: FWIW, the S18 telescopic fork solution is by far the best I have seen in EUC's so far. I just cant understand what KS were thinking with the 'exposed-plastic-slider-running-in-aluminium-channel' setup in the S20. I guess it's lighter but IMO it's poor. Very poor.

Edited by Planemo
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Linear bearings are generally made for 3D printers, and their weight/pressure handling is really low. I would think that the fixed sliding igus bushes are much better, but I don’t know if the material itself is rigid enough for the pressures required in an EUC suspension.

People tried igus bearings in 3D printers some years ago. They were not a better solution than conventional linear rails.

Different uses cases have different requirements though. 3D printers don't have high loads.

• Upvote 1

Just thinking out loud here, but since the gap between the top plastic slide and bottom is a fixed space and doesn't change. Couldn't we make an insert from ptfe/uhmw etc to fit between those and prevent debris from entering between the 2 plastic sliders and still slode along the rails with the suspension?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

nice info fbhb.

Have you also noticed the difference on the bms's used on s18?. I have seen batches 2 to latest, all have a bms like the one on the first photo,  but I have seen on ecodrif and other Russians one that looks like it has an mcu on it (second poto). Do you have any info on this?

IMG_0108.thumb.JPG.8cb6c9696aa67a7a7df730e05043e3c8.JPG

Monokoleso-Kingsong-S18-predprodazhnaya-

35 minutes ago, spitfire1337 said:

Just thinking out loud here, but since the gap between the top plastic slide and bottom is a fixed space and doesn't change. Couldn't we make an insert from ptfe/uhmw etc to fit between those and prevent debris from entering between the 2 plastic sliders and still slode along the rails with the suspension?

Assuming I understand you correctly, what you are suggesting is equivalent to running the plastic bearing material for the full length of the rail. At least then, only the portions of the slide that stick out past the rails would be exposed to the elements. Normally, they don't run the bearing material for the full length of the rail to reduce stiction. But in the S20's case, it could be good idea especially if you keep the tolerances of the bearing material for the middle portions of the rail less tight in order to minimize stiction, but still keep the debris out, not unlike the concept of dust seals for ball bearings.

26 minutes ago, enaon said:

Have you also noticed the difference on the bms's used on s18?.

Sorry, I'm unable to comment on any differences re: S18 BMS versions.

I do remember reading somewhere, that different 21700 batteries have been seen in some S18 batches, so maybe that was when the change happened?

Only a theory/guesswork though unfortunately!

5 minutes ago, fbhb said:

I do remember reading somewhere, that different 21700 batteries have been seen in some S18 batches, so maybe that was when the change happened?

batteries seem unrelated, I have seen the samsung and the lg ones on the same bms type, thank you and sorry for the offtopic. 

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, spitfire1337 said:

Yes. The insert should cover the groove opening, but not contact the groove on any other sides.

Unfortunately there is only minor fixes for a major problem. The suspensions system needs full redesign. At least the fender should cover groove opening.

Are there any benefits of this suspension design that anyone of you can point out? I cannot believe that the engineers in China are that stupid to change a previous design to a new one without any benefits. 

Glass half full approach.

3 minutes ago, Curt8892 said:

Are there any benefits of this suspension design that anyone of you can point out? I cannot believe that the engineers in China are that stupid to change a previous design to a new one without any benefits. 

Glass half full approach.

Less space, weight and complexity.