Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

13 hours ago, Freeforester said:

Adam’s observations:

Ooooooff, this was a great video, and I didn't like much of what I've seen here.

Main concerns

Suspension channels
I imagined the suspension being made of some kind of chunky PTFE plastic blocks sliding in sealed channels.
Instead, the 4 blocks are rubber: therefore high friction, and sliding only thanks to some kind of grease/lubricant. Inside channels which are fully open on the inside next to where the tire rotates.

WTF! The suspension will get full of sand, grit, salt in no time.
Why are the channels simply open to the dirtiest part of the wheel? They'll get packed full of crap in no time. Is there any chance that this can work without requiring an insane amount of maintenance? Will grease actually stay there against the elements, or be replaced by sand rubbing against the aluminum.

I'm trying to see in the video if there's a chance it could be salvaged by designing 3D printed TPU seals for the whole assembly. I can't think of a way for now. Non-starter for me.
So now we know why the suspension travel is so noisy: https://youtu.be/Ma8ajaIHMnE?t=906

That'll be full of dirt always, no way around it: https://flic.kr/p/2n853eC

The main redeeming quality of these rubber sliders I can think of is making the wheel less prone to damage, bending metallic parts when it falls since the rubber blocks will bring some give, and that's kind of genius compared to the Abrams which gets all bent out of shape after a fall.

Suspension triangle
Play in most of the assembly and loose tolerances: Is that an issue, or a requirement instead?
Since the suspension is sliding over rubber blocks, the whole system cannot remain fully aligned during its travel, when the rider has more weight on one pedal than other or in falls / crashes.

Looking forward to read what you guys with S18 experience think.

Battery packs
I also imaged that these transparent packs were somehow actually sealed, but it's not even closed at all.
I'm concerned this has not been addressed like other points in Kingsong's communication.
For now, it looks like water ingress is possible from the charge ports, power button (both to be confirmed) and motor wires (confirmed)

What could possibly go wrong?

Waterproofing
Screws on the top cover, at the bottom of a pit directly screwing on top of the motherboard: problematic. It means this red piece is absolutely required for water resistance. These pits should be covered by tape to prevent water to sip in there.

Small positive points

• good to see that the charge ports & power button are on a small separate board
  • bearing seals look good so far

Tying to see why I should keep the pre-order open.. Not sure besides... I don't know, having one for app development and reselling it unused.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 1

Btw. just small side note to the battery capacity and test rides we see:
M50 datasheet page 8/13 mention 20% less capacity when 0°C compared to 25°C (full capacity) = something normal. Remember KS20 is a big heatsink compared to others (and moving, but also generate some its own temp).

• Like 3

another range test.

full charge = 97% 
102kg 24°C
he wanted to do a 25/30 kmh test but he was "a lot faster most of the time" ;) (his response: "35-45 80% of the time")

he started with the wheel still locked and beeping
405m elevation with some 'hill climbing'

2fPgOsH.jpg

massive headwinds over 15-20km in the 2nd half of the ride
no seated riding

battery levels:
10km 88%
20km 83%
30km 71%
40km 63%
50km 51% rain and wind starts
60km 41%
70km 34%
77km 4% and tiltback

Edited by Blunzn
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Suspension channels
I imagined the suspension being made of some kind of chunky PTFE plastic blocks sliding in sealed channels.
Instead, the 4 blocks are rubber: therefore high friction, and sliding only thanks to some kind of grease/lubricant. Inside channels which are fully open on the inside next to where the tire rotates.

WTF! The suspension will get full of sand, grit, salt in no time.
Why are the channels simply open to the dirtiest part of the wheel? They'll get packed full of crap in no time. Is there any chance that this can work without requiring an insane amount of maintenance? Will grease actually stay there against the elements, or be replaced by sand rubbing against the aluminum.

This worries me the most and that might make me cancel another preorder after the v12 (glad I missed that timebomb).

I can live with the range. It was never supposed to be a long distance wheel like the sherman, Ex.n, etc..

The power output worries me, but it still think that KS will tweak the firmware to get as close to the Begode RST as possible.

This wheel is built around the  suspension, which is its biggest selling point in my opinion. And such a fundamental “mistake” (maybe not the right word) I have no idea how to find a quick fix that would not postpone the production much further, which they really dont plan to do. (From the s20 telegram group: “Latest rumor is 2 wks delay to upgrade the issues”)

In comparison, this is how the S18 sliders look

image.thumb.png.a901bbd4d0c8b6b9f15d47b9b55eb0a6.png

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, rolis said:

This worries me the most and that might make me cancel another preorder after the v12 (glad I missed that timebomb).

This wheel is built around the  suspension, which is its biggest selling point in my opinion. And such a fundamental “mistake” (maybe not the right word) I have no idea how to find a quick fix that would not postpone the production much further, which they really dont plan to do. (From the s20 telegram group: “Latest rumor is 2 wks delay to upgrade the issues”)

In comparison, this is how the S18 sliders look

image.thumb.png.a901bbd4d0c8b6b9f15d47b9b55eb0a6.png

Yes that's more like a proven design.

I planned the S20 as next daily driver, and keeping the Sherman for long range.
So the idea was to ride it in all conditions - all seasons, including winter with salt everywhere and gravel on the bike lanes, thrown around by the tire.
Now: how frequent a maintenance would be required to keep its suspension running smoothly?

I want wheels to be a vehicles and as hobby to be mostly riding (and community)
With this new information (really thankful to Adam), the S20 looks more like an expensive time sink... not a particularly convincing proposition.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 3

I have to agree, also worried about those suspension sliders, looks easy for dirt to accumulate there, that demo wheel is like a month old? Already dirty and some wear on those parts and I don't think it's enough just to put some grease have to take it apart, clean it, re-grease it, quite frequently, so unless they change this part of the design it's not good for longevity.

• Like 1

Interesting comment on Adam's tear down video.

From

Ulf Scheidsteger

ex King Song, who has extensive knowledge.

I really dont get it anymore…. From serious fact videos back to “opinions/assumption” videos (on a test-sample/predproduction unit)

Those 3/6 bolts that you change “that make the suspension better” are mostly for setting the body(and pedal height) for the rider and are another chance to higher/lower the pedals for the rider AND adjust body shell height.

Demanding shrink wraps when the battery is in a sealed aluminium compartment is also some kind of questionable, like demanding shrink wrap in a IM plastik sealed case. The battery btw even has a “water intrusion” detection, to see if the wheel was dumped for warranty cases, chnaging color on one of the stickers.

And btw the 60Amp fuses protect the BMS and MB from oversurges of Amps.

And as THESE kind of fuses are directly reacting (instead of normal fuses used for example in GW/Veteran) they are Not to high.

They react on peak surge, not constant surge. Its pretty understandable that you have suspensions problems in general when such a light weight guy as you screws the feather down nearly to the end.

It should be on the top of the screw ring, as a 750lbs spring is more for 90/100kg riders…. And just a word for the battery differencies in voltage.

As it wasnt worth for you to adjust the charger, probably no balancing is happening at all in the moment.

But even then…..having them a difference of 0,013 (dont remember exact number) is totally fine…even for a unbalanced pack.

And hammering on the “shitanium” screws…..when allready KS promised to change them in mass production….remembers me of mexican loughing on the Block on the S18 “review”. will be interesting if we get a new video when its not a Sample/preproduction unit anymore….

Sorry, just disappointed…..

• Like 2

Lol, ..Lets not overreact.  The suspension is not perfect.   But what we don't know is; what material the sliders are made of and the distance the sliders actually travel.  These two items will have an impact on the longevity of the suspension.

21 minutes ago, fryman said:

Lol, ..Lets not overreact.  The suspension is not perfect.   But what we don't know is; what material the sliders are made of and the distance the sliders actually travel.  These two items will have an impact on the longevity of the suspension.

The sliders travel the distance of the suspension. Which is as we know 130mm vertically

edit: plus we know that the sliders are some kind of rubber.

Edited by rolis
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, rolis said:

The sliders travel the distance of the suspension. Which is as we know 130mm vertically

That might not be accurate. Due to the way the linkages work, it is possible to extra more effective travel distance from the sliders despite only having a certain amount of shock travel. It's also possible to have less, but it really depends on the ratio of linkage lengths/lever arms. Regardless of what the travel distance is and what the material is, what we can say is that the movement is terribly gritty in that wrongway video, and the wear level doesn't look good at all.

12 minutes ago, Whalesmash said:

That might not be accurate. Due to the way the linkages work, it is possible to extra more effective travel distance from the sliders despite only having a certain amount of shock travel. It's also possible to have less, but it really depends on the ratio of linkage lengths/lever arms. Regardless of what the travel distance is and what the material is, what we can say is that the movement is terribly gritty in that wrongway video, and the wear level doesn't look good at all.

The shock itself has 75mm of travel, the linkages yield 130mm of travel for the wheel, so yes these sliders will see the full 130mm.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, rolis said:

That is top to bottom. How often does it travel that distance. 

Maybe the S18 was over built and using a minimalist approach may work in the favor of a suspension wheel. 

The amount of weight may not need as much as we think we need, look at the V11 and EX they both just had two piston (as far as I can recall). 

The openness of the rails will allow easy access for cleaning/lubricating and repairs. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Miko.cz said:

Im a bit sad that a lot of testers like talking, selfie recording, drone fly by etc. Thats very nice and useful, but Im also missing hard data such as EUC World record of ride from their long rides :(, exception was Seba (of course :)) and just one(?) more else.

I think RevRides, SpeedyFeet and Jimmy Chang posted their EUCWorld tours.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

The shock itself has 75mm of travel, the linkages yield 130mm of travel for the wheel, so yes these sliders will see the full 130mm.

Thanks for the correction. I haven't looked into too much of the exact shock specs so I wasn't sure. 

16 minutes ago, Curt8892 said:

The openness of the rails will allow easy access for cleaning/lubricating and repairs. 

I don't see it, seems you still need to remove the wheel to get any decent access in there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Whalesmash said:

Thanks for the correction. I haven't looked into too much of the exact shock specs so I wasn't sure. 

I should caveat my comment by stating that most compression events won't use the full 130mm - only the big drops that bottom out the shock will see the full 130mm.  So you were partially correct. :)