Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

3 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Ok so looks like 50 miles/80Km at 15mph and 0 degC. 

Looks like the last 10 minutes the battery plunged quickly.

OOPs Seba broke his handle.

9aybrKQ.png

Edited by Paradox

21 minutes ago, Blunzn said:

marty's overheat hill test was pretty great for a fanless system. strange that in most of the review videos its almost never mentioned ... maybe some pendulum tests comparing it to other wheels would be interesting too ;) 

outsidetemp: 25°

1st stop: ShermanMax - 55°C , Hero - 53°C, S20 - 42°C

2nd stop: ShermanMax - 50°C,  Hero - 45°C,  S20 - 33°C

3rd stop:  ShermanMax - 55°C  , Hero - 50°C  , S20 - 45°C

after the last superstep part of Overheat Hill:  ShermanMax - 58°C , Hero - 57°C , S20 - 57°C

Yes the fanless S20 definitely provides some unusual running temps that we aren't used to seeing with our usual fanned wheels. It seems from Sebas ride that if the S20 isn't being pushed it doesn't break a sweat, showing around 5 DegC in ambients of 0DegC. When pressed though, it seems to average out similar to fanned wheels.

For sure, my MSX and Sherman sit around 40 to 50 DegC, no matter how I'm riding them or in what ambients, so seeing the running temps on Sebas ride seemed really weird!

Speedy feet did the same thing riding the low battery beeps.  Just cut out.

u7UvTyi.png

Source video:

https://youtu.be/SwSA_n3UQmc?t=341

Edited by Paradox
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Yeah that dropped off like a stone! I think anything below 20% would have to be considered 'reserve' for sure!

Li Ion falls off a cliff when they get low, almost anti-reserve. But S20's cliff is way steeper than what I've seen on my existing wheels!

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

The front "plastic" part should be one hard plastic.. Not empty "shell" like thing. Or better heavy duty rubber compound.

I would use DIY "polymorph, thermoplastic" Plastic that goes soft in boiling water, but gets rock hard in room temperature. <<< Gets broken = easy fix. No need to buy "new" Can make any bumper you want.. That thing is MAZING. Add red coloring = same as original.

Same for "kick stand" that black plastic should be replaced for metal stand. Even when it's get broken it stand on empty steel. So why did they add plastic there.. Simply add thicker steel plate or tubbing there.

Heck you could make "Power Pads" from "polymorph, thermoplastic". Why no one have done it?? I bet it would be cheaper, you just need "Mold" for it.

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Blunzn said:

1st stop: ShermanMax - 55°C , Hero - 53°C, S20 - 42°C

2nd stop: ShermanMax - 50°C,  Hero - 45°C,  S20 - 33°C

3rd stop:  ShermanMax - 55°C  , Hero - 50°C  , S20 - 45°C

after the last superstep part of Overheat Hill:  ShermanMax - 58°C , Hero - 57°C , S20 - 57°C

The indicated temperature depends on were the probe is located. Wheels can have it in different places.

2 minutes ago, Seba said:

So today's result is not at all impressive and I will say that I expected to achieve a result similar to Monsieur Flex (note that he started with battery not fully charged). EUC World calculated that today's ride consumed just 1502 Wh. 

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Many people are suggesting the range is fine but I'm not convinced.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bizra6ot said:

Is it a bug on the few last %? Voltage drop is insane from 90V to 45V?

unlikely (it would be a minor bug, if anything is wrong at all)... the fact that the wheel cutoff indicates it didn't have enough remaining power to balance—very low voltage is a direct indicator of lack of sufficient power under load.

• Like 1

Im thinking about it more now. OK, Im not so excited now, but I expected worse results.

1. definitively it should not you let cutout and fall. Did you tried to simple turn off-on EUC to remove tiltback and ride a few more meters?
  2. maybe display batt lvl is based on some internal calculation of used energy vs theoretical battery max capacity?
  3. 18XL have probably double plastic shelter with small space of air isolation between them and more airflow from PCB of hot air to battery - compared to single alloy shelter of S20 which seems to be a big passive heatsink. I think it matters, especially in the end.
  4. my own difference of battery summer/winter, same track (38km) is about 20% (KS-16S), but I have also older battery and heavier winter clothes.
  5. +13kg of S20 vs 18XL, maybe also heavier clothes?
  6. higher avg. speed of XL, good point, I cannot argue
  7. last 15km seems to be different terrain profile based on data (more up-downs)

I hope the above arguments are not just my own trying to appologize results.

Edited by Miko.cz
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, supercurio said:

I think setting a hard speed limit with the tiltback at only 25 saves significant battery compared to oscillating between 25-30.

You're on to something here I do believe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seba said:

And finally, the rider getting used to how previous King Song wheels behave when the battery level is low.

Hi Seba, I have a newish  18XL, never ridden it to 0%.. , so could you please explain what is the expected behavior with Kingsong at low batt? Can I ride it a bit more when its tilting back without it dumping me? 

44 minutes ago, Felix said:

Hi Seba, I have a newish  18XL, never ridden it to 0%.. , so could you please explain what is the expected behavior with Kingsong at low batt? Can I ride it a bit more when its tilting back without it dumping me? 

While it's not recommended to do this regularly (in general it's best not to deeply discharge the battery), 18XL is fully safe to do so when needed (for example when you're on long-distance ride). Here's the last year ride, during which I fully discharged battery several kilometers before my planned end of the tour. To get into a place where my hotel was located I had to restart the wheel several times to get out of low battery tiltback, then final kilometers were ridden in tiltback (battery was fully discharged so restarting the wheel helped only for just few seconds) - https://euc.world/tour/599513067607328. When riding last kilometers I just watched voltage to avoid dropping it substantially below 60 V (3.0 V per cell). The lowest voltage recorded was 58,9 V, what translates into 2,94 V per cell. A value absolutely safe for battery, as every cell can be discharged down to 2,5 V according to the specs. Apparently, you can't do this on S20. Actually, one should avoid riding S20 when battery voltage drops to 99 V.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Miko.cz said:

Exactly, waiting for a note about his brutto weight.
I think his ride and EUCWorld ride record gaved me better info than 75% of all "reviews". As I am not extreme raider.

Yes, I guess.. never went over 20 mph. This test seems painfully slow. 

6 hours ago, Miko.cz said:

Exactly, waiting for a note about his brutto weight.
I think his ride and EUCWorld ride record gaved me better info than 75% of all "reviews". As I am not extreme raider.

83 kg of rider plus about 6-7 kg of gear (clothes, hip bag and backpack). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1